Some questions on my list

Blackroseuk

Reaction score
I belong in WTT ATM but in the new year we'll be TCC for our first baby. I have written a long post in WTT before, but felt these questions would best be suited here as they are a mixture of different things.:

1.Stopping the pill.
I am currently taking the cerazatte pill and have been for a few years now since I didn't get on with microgenan(sp)?. I think thr cerezatte pill is a combined mini pill as I am taking it everyday without a break. So I want to stop it in 15 days instead of using up the last two months I got. Is this too close to TTC? I heard there are more chances of MC if you stop the pill too close to trying. Other times I read that yoire at your most fertile and so maybe I should come off it a month or even a week or so before trying? I want to catch as soon as possible but I'm scared I'll be taking any risks?
I have no idea what my cycles are what with having no period at all for eight months due to anorexia and I got them back probably about six months ago? Maybe more. But now they are irregular. People dont often get periods on this pill anyway but I pretty much always did when I was at a heavier weight. I've never been on this pill at an ideal weight for long basically. It is said to have at least two or three complete cycles once coming off the pill before you try for a baby, but if I try and catch with irregular periods will that harm the baby or cause more chance of MC or other problems?

2. Stopping smoking.
I have smoked for years and I chain smoke a lot too. I'd say I smoke anywhere between 13-18 a day,,I could be way off so I dunno. It is going to be the hardest thing to do but I know I have to stop even though people do end up pregnant while smoking, taking the pill, drinking, doing drugs snd all sorts! I dont do drugs but I do like to drink wine and the last couple of months i have had loads...not so much the last couple weeks. I went a bit too crazy last week and had a bottle and a half, and all the other times like last night I have a bottle. We always have two bottles and split them between us so it ends up about a bottle each at 6 glasses. We only drink red wine btw. When I first started I had quite a lot and it was always at least a bottle and the first week it was about four nights out the whole week...not all in a row. I have a very addictive personality and my OCD doesn't always help either. I've always been like that with drink though. I will miss very much going outside at nights for walks with my husband and smoking a couple of cigs and especially when we have wine we are up very late and drinking, smoking loads and walking. When we have a baby of course even just walking at night and nothing else will be out of the question. We will be too tired and cant take the baby out in the cold at that hour. We prefer walking at night when it is quiet and relaxing when noones around. Of course it is worth it all and for ourselves too.
So lol I guess after all that my main question is how long after quitting can you safely try for a baby? Mainly I'm thinking of myself and am I safe home for one and also thinking of my husbands sperm. I've read a month is long enough without nicotine products too.
Is there more risk of complications, still birth or MC if I have smoked?

Those are my main two questions and vents. I'm sure I'll have many more. But for now I'll just ask
Are there any other things i should be doing during these last couple of WTT months? I'm booking myself in at the doctors next week for a talk about these things and a urine test. I'm then booking in a blood test for the same week or week after. I've had bloods done recently, a couple of months ago and they came back all clear, and I'm sure one of the things was a fertility test. Also clear for diabetes. I'm being discharged very soon from my heath team as I have been told ages ago I can stop going if I want for my anorexia and I have been given the all clear to try for a baby then. I just got too comfy there lol.
I want to make sure alls ok in advance. So shall I start taking folic acid when I stop the pill? It may not be long enough? It's only sbout two months and two weeks or so from now that I am TTC so is this all not long enough for the pill or folic acid? If I take a long time to catch is is dangerous to keep taking folic acid...I'm worried I'll overdose? If I've recently had bloods done will I need more done or can the docs just look it up on the system records? When I went last week or the week before the doctor told me I needed to start folic acid and have a blood test done three months before trying and also to check if I'm immune to rubella. I'm sure I had that jab in skl anyway but wouldn't it show up in my last blood test if I was or not? I hate needles. If I do have to have more done then does it matter if it's two months before or does it have to be three? Csn I start taking folic acid two months before instead of three? I don't mind taking folic acid now but I'm worried it'll interact with my pill or something? And I got this overpowering bad feeling somethings gonna happen so we can't try and then there I am off the pill, taking folic acid, fainting at blood tests and heartbroken!!

Thsnkyou for your time and any advice, ideas or if anyone wants to share their WTT plans I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:
i dont know about the pill so i cant help there, as for smoking 13 to 18 a day isnt heavy smoking at all, no idea how you manage to chain smoke and only smoke that many lol. i smoked and only quit the day after i found out i was pregnant so i dont know what the score is for quitting before ttc. i was ntnp so carried on as normal until i missed a period. much less stressful that way lol.
good luck tho :)

its Not Trying Not Preventing, i think - like not quite at the keeping note of ovulation and where you are in the cycle - but not using any protection.

im really not much help on most of ur post as we were like Bev - NTNP - but im pretty sure that the length of time you take folic acid for is not essesntial - i didnt take it before i fell as couldnt remember - they tell you three months before you catch is ideal - but a lot of people take longer than that so they wouldnt recommend it if that was unsafe - equally two months is lots better than those of us who didnt start it till we caught.

xxx

Dunno about the pill, my sister fell for both her boys on the pill and I haven't taken it for 10 years so a bit out of touch.
I have read though that smoking can stop an embryo implanting and of course we all know the risks of having a small baby and then an increase in cot death after birth if parents smoke around the baby. Basically the minute you stop you increase your chances of falling pregnant and having a much healthier baby, as well as a healthier mummy and daddy :)(plus shed loads more money lol)
Good luck hunny xxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck with TTC when start in the NY. My advise on smoking is purely from a scientific and not practical perspective, I think your OH's swimmers would benefit from no nicotine or a huge reduction anyhow....maybe try to slowly reduce no of cigs per day for both of u is an idea so by TTC it's not so dramatic a time to quit. In regards to the vino a relaxes person is a good person to fall preg! I drank only at weekends when TTC and had quite a few big boozy nights before I found out I was pregnant. :)
In regards to the pill I came off it for about 6 months before TTC so I could get my body back to normal an d figure out my cycle lengths etc, did help when we started trying.
Honestly when u do get pregnant there is a major shift to a much healthier lifestyle, no booze, cigs, more sleep, eating healthy foods and light exercise so be prepared for all that! Good luck xxx

Hi there, I was on Cerazette stopped it around christmas last year and like you we werent trying but werent preventing at first, it soon becomes addictive and every month it was like why has it not happenend yet??!! Ha ha ha I did get a lot of pregnancy like symptoms a few weeks after coming off and quite a few times thought I was pregnant but no. It takes a while to clear through your system. I didnt have periods during my time taking it or I would have one like every 6 months or so. After I stopped taking it I was lucky and my periods fell into a fairly normal 28 day cycle. We didnt actually concieve until June so about 6 months which I belive is average time or so the doctor tells me its between 6 months and a year. I belive you are most fertile when you just come of the pill but we DTD a lot an didnt happen but that varies for each person.

I dont know about the smoking thing cos I dont smoke.

As for the folic acid I started taking that as soon as we started trying I did actually stop taking it around April as due to problems at work TTC was sort of put on hold and it was when we went on holiday I fell pregnant and when I found out I immediately started taking it again.

Anyway try not to stress out too much about it all I would say cos as I said you can become obssessed just concentrate on the fun side of TTC.

Good Luck XXXX

I came off cerazette at the end of July and got my first period last week. (never got periods whilst taking the pill) I did get lots of pregnancy symptoms but every test was BFN so it must of been side effects of pill. As for smoking I was a light smoker (about 8 a day) and gave up in June to get my body ready. Alcohol is my weakness as I love a glass of white wine!
But I'm avoiding alcohol due to ongoing kidney problems which is quite handy as I will have an excuse to use for not drinking when I am pregnant!
As the others said start taking folic acid, I did soon after stopping my pill.

Good luck with TTC x

Thankyou. Now I just gotta stop thinking about babies all the time! Dscember will be the worst. Even though it's the last month before we try there's nothing except Xmas going on and it'll be harder at xmas not to smoke! And my rents smoke! Aargh!
So say I stop the pill in a couple of weeks and my cycle isn't regular or there but I try anyway and conceive will it harm the baby or me? Or do they just say to wait for your cycle so you know when you're likely to get pregnant?

To be honest I would just go for it but thats my opinion practise makes perfect and all that ;)

I think the reason most wait for their period is to help with dating. Personally I tried before my first af and it was really frustrating not knowing when to test or what my body was doing so now that I've had an af I feel alot calmer and in control!

I don't know if falling pregnant now would have any effect on your pregnancy but lots of people fall pregnant when they accidently miss their pill etc and go on to have perfectly healthy babies.

Hope this helps, best of luck x

Hey! Can't comment on the smoking side but I was on yasmin for a long time before TTC and when we were thinking of trying I went to the GP and she said to stop at the end of the packet and prob best to wait for a period before trying......I had a natural period about 30 days later and we started trying after that (I had read different info on when it's ok to try after coming off the pill, like u have, but just went with what my gp said)..........We were extremely lucky and I had a BFP the next month..........baby is due 2 weeks today and so far my pregnancy has been normal!

Hope that helps u in some way and I wish u all the best in TTC in the new year xxx

Ooo and also I took the Sanatogen 'mother to be' folic acid and vitamin supplement from when we started trying...........it says for most benefit take it for 3 months before conceiving, but evidently I didn't do that! xxx

Well there are "nicotine filters" you can inhale with to kick the habit of smoking cigarettes. They're sold at grocery stores and drug stores. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I tried nicotine cigs with the nicotine filters but they leaked into my mouth. Tasted horrid and it's dangerous. Before that it helped abit tho. Thinking of getting an electronic one this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back