so depressed! also new to forum...hi

apples

Reaction score
Firstly I am new so hello everyone

I am sorry my first post is not more cheerful and is so long. I just really am low right now.

I suffer depression and anxiety, this baby is very much wanted but I am so scared of becoming a mum. I do see a psychiatrist and have the appropriate mental health care but it is very hard all the same to cope.

I am terrified I've brain damaged my baby, I came across research suggesting ultrasound wasn't as safe as I thought it was and I also have been using a home doppler which again uses ultrasound. I know nothing has ever been proven conclusively

But I am still freaking out and worrying, thinking I wont ever be able to look my child in the eye in case I have ruined his life before it began by having them. I had reassurance ultrasounds - no medical reason, I was just scared he wouldn't still be alive. So I have had quite a few and was using a home doppler too.

I dont know how to cope right now, I'm 27 weeks and I am just so terrified iv brain damaged him but I will never know if I have, since nothings been proven...but if he has any problems I will always think its my fault.

I'm scared I will bolt after he's born, not because I dont love him - because I am consumed with guilt and want the best for him and I think I might not be the best. It is not like it is up to me, my husband would never let me give our baby away and I love my husband and my baby on the way very much - but I'm so scared. I feel the most awful person in the world and cant stop crying and that's not good for the baby either.

If any women out there have had healthy children after lots of ultrasounds and using a doppler please tell me.

As far as I'm aware lots of women habe multiple ultrasounds and use home dopplers. My LO isn't here yet but I'm sure he will be perfectly healthy when he arrives... Ive had 7 scans and used a Doppler. Medical professionals wouldn't use the equipment if it wasn't safe.

Also you really didn't need to post in three areas of the forum

Using tapatalk so excuse the typos!

The NHS wouldn't allow ladies to have multiple ultrasounds if it was dangerous to lo would they? They would tell you there was a big risk of damage wouldn't they? They would limit the amount wouldn't they? You would sign a consent form agreeing to the risks wouldn't you?
At home dopplers wouldn't be on sale for anyone to use at any time would they? Mw would warn you of the risk before she used her Doppler wouldn't she?
Let's be sensible.

Hi

Welcome to the forum, just to let you know I used a doppler at home almost constantly in my 1st pregnancy as was anxious and worried about the pregnancy. I also had a reassurance scan, my normal scans and a 3d ultrasound. I now have a very beautiful, intelligent and completely normal 4 year old about to start school in Sep and can assure you that she has had no ill effect from the ultrasound whilst pregnant. I also had extra scans when pregnant with my son as they initially thought it may have been an eptopic pregnancy and again he is now a happy, healthy 3 year old.

Anxiety and guilt are some emotions that we all go through at various times within our pregnancy but in all honesty you should enjoy this wonderful period of time in your life as much as you can.

Annette

I think that you are obviously having a hard time, but I think that you are blaming yourself far too much which will be putting more strain on you. It's good that you are getting so much support and help and I hope that this is helping to relive your anxieties. Like the other ladies have said, I don't think that you will have done any damage by using a doppler or by having scans, I think that info like this on the internet is just there to scare people. You're new to the forum so don't worry about posting this thread too many times.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer much help, but if you ever need a chat or anything, we're all here happy to help xxxx

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are having a tough time at the moment and seem to be blaming yourself alot, for your own health and your baby's you need to chill and relax a little!
Heres a little of my history which will hopefully put your mind at ease! I am expecting my 9th baby, my first 6 pregnancies were short lived and resulted in 4 early miscarriages and two angels born alive and surviving just hours! as I have an incompetent cervix, i now have two beautiful miracles, JC is nearly 11 and LC is nearly 9 and also due tomorrow with a girl. Throughout my last three pregnancies I have been monitored closely which has included ultrasound scans on a weekly basis since 12 weeks. Of course I have also been the paranoid mum and used a Doppler on a very much day basis to make sure everything is fine! So, I believe that being paranoid is aloud to a certain extent however with nonproven evidence and the NHS offering ultrasounds I am sure that it is safe, JC and LC are bright, athletic, healthy, have no disabilities and are not allergic to anything and therefore are my proof that ultrasound scans are as safe as houses!
Please do yourself a favour and speak to your support about your concerns or you are going to drive yourself mad in t3.

Best of luck xx

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of things at the moment lovely.. But as the other ladies said, if ultrasounds and dopplers were known to cause such damage, they would be limited or not done at all, and dopplers would not be sold..
Try not to get yourself worked up about it.. Personally, I think you'll be causing your unborn baby more unnecessary stress now by getting yourself upset about it..
We all have pretty much the same care during pregnancy (some more than others), but we all have scans and all have the heartbeat heard, whether that be by the midwife, at home or both.. A huge majority of babies that are born, are born perfectly healthy.
Stop being so hard on yourself xx

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware lots of women habe multiple ultrasounds and use home dopplers. My LO isn't here yet but I'm sure he will be perfectly healthy when he arrives... Ive had 7 scans and used a Doppler. Medical professionals wouldn't use the equipment if it wasn't safe.

Also you really didn't need to post in three areas of the forum

Using tapatalk so excuse the typos!

I posted in 3 places cos I was hoping replies from people with older children too and realised after i posted here that ppl with older ones might not be looking in third trimester forum.

The NHS wouldn't allow ladies to have multiple ultrasounds if it was dangerous to lo would they? They would tell you there was a big risk of damage wouldn't they? They would limit the amount wouldn't they? You would sign a consent form agreeing to the risks wouldn't you?
At home dopplers wouldn't be on sale for anyone to use at any time would they? Mw would warn you of the risk before she used her Doppler wouldn't she?
Let's be sensible.

Yea I explained i suffer depression, I know this sometimes causes me to think differently. However, to me it is a real and valid fear - or I wouldnt be posting anywhere about it looking for reassurance.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are having a tough time at the moment and seem to be blaming yourself alot, for your own health and your baby's you need to chill and relax a little!
Heres a little of my history which will hopefully put your mind at ease! I am expecting my 9th baby, my first 6 pregnancies were short lived and resulted in 4 early miscarriages and two angels born alive and surviving just hours! as I have an incompetent cervix, i now have two beautiful miracles, JC is nearly 11 and LC is nearly 9 and also due tomorrow with a girl. Throughout my last three pregnancies I have been monitored closely which has included ultrasound scans on a weekly basis since 12 weeks. Of course I have also been the paranoid mum and used a Doppler on a very much day basis to make sure everything is fine! So, I believe that being paranoid is aloud to a certain extent however with nonproven evidence and the NHS offering ultrasounds I am sure that it is safe, JC and LC are bright, athletic, healthy, have no disabilities and are not allergic to anything and therefore are my proof that ultrasound scans are as safe as houses!
Please do yourself a favour and speak to your support about your concerns or you are going to drive yourself mad in t3.

Best of luck xx

Thank you for posting this, I cant imagine how hard it must be letting me know about your previous losses and i'm very sorry for them. You are really kind to reassure me with your story, it really has helped me SO much to hear this x

Let's be sensible.

Yea I explained i suffer depression, I know this sometimes causes me to think differently. However, to me it is a real and valid fear - or I wouldnt be posting anywhere about it looking for reassurance.

Yes I did read that but as someone who has also suffered from depression I can tell you that thinking in this way is more likely to cause your baby stress than any of the ultrasounds you have worried about. You do need to look at thing logically.
Did you raise your fears with anyone carrying out any of the ultrasounds that you have worried about? If so, did they not tell you it was fine?

Performing ultrasounds is part of my job.
It only the color ultrasound that can harm the fetal tissue if used for prolonged periods in very young fetuses.
fetal ultrasound uses very little close to none color Doppler ultrasound. Actually it's used only once for short time at your 20 weeks scan to check the baby's heart. Well beyond the first 3 months and for such a short period that there is 0 risk to the fetus.
Fetal ultrasound is absolutely safe.
I had more than 15 of them by now and used color Doppler even more than once that most of women get....
About the Doppler that you use at home there are some risks that may harm the babys hearing BUT let's be real now, unleash you Have the Doppler attached to you 24/7 there is absolutely no risk... Hence they are free to buy to all customers...
Stop stressing about that really and start enjoying your pregnancy.

Performing ultrasounds is part of my job.
It only the color ultrasound that can harm the fetal tissue if used for prolonged periods in very young fetuses.
fetal ultrasound uses very little close to none color Doppler ultrasound. Actually it's used only once for short time at your 20 weeks scan to check the baby's heart. Well beyond the first 3 months and for such a short period that there is 0 risk to the fetus.
Fetal ultrasound is absolutely safe.
I had more than 15 of them by now and used color Doppler even more than once that most of women get....
About the Doppler that you use at home there are some risks that may harm the babys hearing BUT let's be real now, unleash you Have the Doppler attached to you 24/7 there is absolutely no risk... Hence they are free to buy to all customers...
Stop stressing about that really and start enjoying your pregnancy.

I haven't had any colour ultrasounds unless they used it at 20 week but I did have to have about 4 internal ones and they were all within the first 3 months. my reassurance scans were only about 10 mins max but they did put on to hear the heartbeat and that was in first 3 months a few times but i dont think more than a min or so. I dont walk around with doppler attached. Thank you for your reply it does help to hear from someone who does ultrasounds

I had 8 internal ultrasounds, all at irst trimester. They don't use color technic at first trimester because there is no need for that. You could have hours long ultrasounds and still be 100 percent safe.
Hearing the hb is perfectly safe too.
Color is only used to check the flow to the heart or the placenta both of them well beyond first trimester, Perfectly safe too as I told you.
Would I had so many ultrasounds of there was the slightest risk?? :p
Nope nope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back