Smear at 6 week check?

kadesmummy

Reaction score
I've never had a smear (i know, my bad) and one of the midwives mentioned i'd automatically get one at my 6 week pp check. No one has mentioned it since... anyone had one at their 6 week check? i'm actually quite worried about anything trying to get up there at 6 weeks :( not looking forward to it at all! - if i don't want sex at 6 weeks i'm not going to want someones speculum in there either lol x

nope - I was told I had to wait a bit before birth. I was still spotting at 6 weeks though so that might be why :?

I've been told that I can't have a smear until 12 weeks post birth (and at the same time they told me gravely that my smear was overdue. Well, yes, but I've been pregnant, so what could I do? :roll: )

Was told at my 6 week check that they don't do them until at least 12 weeks after in my area because results often come back with false "abnormals" when it's early days after birth. Even if you do get offered one, just let them know you're not ready :hug:

Here they do it at the 6 week check if you have stopped bleeding totally. If you haven't and you are overdue one, you are asked to make an appointment when the bleeding has stopped.

Any blood at all on the sample will give a misleading result

I've never been offered a smear at a 6 week check. My latest one was just before I got pregnant so that might be why :)

I wasn't allowed one until 6 months after. I had one too early last time and it came back with abnormal results.

I keep getting chase up letters as i should have had one by now.

Claire x

I haven't had one yet - but I am not due one generally. I couldn't even have considered it at 6 weeks, so just let them know that you aren't ready.

Nothing like this was said to me. I've only recently had my doctor mention it as I am due one this year - 3 years from the last one.

If they do say you have to then I'd do what Lorna said :D

i wasn't offered one - but i'm guessing that's an age thing (i'm 19) more than anything.

Im quite pissed off with this TBH,
Im 22, never had a smear before, so I assumed as I'd been told I would get 1 once I had LO...
Never got offered one so asked, I was told
"oh, in this area we dont send for you until you're 28"
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I dont particularly WANT (who does :roll:) one but bloody hell, I was under the impression that you should have them once you're sexually active or had a baby.
I do want to get one done just to be on the safe side... especially with what poor jade goody is going through.

i'd never had one, but i was only 21 when india was born and only ever been with OH. My doctor booked me in Nov 19th and baby was born Aug 27th. i did wonder why she didnt just do it at my 6 week check. i guess they wait.

I didn't have a smear either at 6 wk check up,they just told me to make sure I book an app with the gp. I've also been getting letters for a few months now inviting me to have cervical screening (are they two separate things or the same thing..?). Going to see a nurse tomorrow to have it done. The Jade Goody-thing has just scared me, otherwise probably would have just put it off and off.. =o/

I had one at six weeks. It was a little uncomfortable, but it wasn't too bad. I had bad tearing that wasn't close to healed yet and still handled it. You can refuse any treatment or test, though.

i had mine at my 6 week check up, it wasn't nice but is over with now, i did it for my baby, if there was a problem the sooner i know the sooner i could start treatment.i wasnt bothered before LO came along so it was my first one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back