slings - advice please!

badgergirl

Reaction score
I'm going to be travelling around a fair bit with Sprog over the coming couple of months, and I'm more and more sold on the idea of a sling. He's also going through a very clingy stage, and I'm hoping that by carrying him around the house, I might actually be able to get some housework done (hmm, actually, should think that one through... :wink: )

I've mainly been looking at the Primaxx and the Babasling. I want this sort of design, as I don't particularly like the look of the Bjorn type ones - sprog's 11 weeks old, and I can't imagine him liking them at all. I also like the fact that the baby can be carried in a variety of ways. I've looked at and loved the Mei Tei and Freedom sling, but OH wants to get something that's "brand name" - apparently he would feel "safer" about it. :roll:

I'm looking at a holiday to Cyprus to see family in Sept or Oct, and this is the time where I'll need it most, as I won't be taking the pram - I'm going to be flying alone, I can't cope with the thought of additional luggage, and I don't want it to get damaged in-flight. I'm worried, however, about the heat. We won't be walking about often (one of my relatives is disabled, so aside from the occasional meal out and maybe one shopping trip, I can't see us going far from the house), and never in the hottest part of the day, but is he likely to overheat in this style of sling?

Recommendations, advice and experience please!

i had a 'hotslings' sling and i loved it. i used it from birth until she was about 7months. I used mine all the time especially around the house to do housework. she could face out ish, on my hip or close in lying next to me like you'd hold a baby. It's so easy to put on and put baby in and out by yourself, there's no rings or ajusting either.
http://www.hotslings.com
I then got a ergo baby carrier, which is so good, it really doesn't feel like your carrying a kid at all. I don't think I'd pt a smaller baby in one tho.
hope this helps, i'd like to know whay you decide to get and if you like it.

ive got a Primaxx sling and ive been using it from him being about a week old. it feels really sturdy and i feel safe carrying him round.
the only problem ive got, is we've had a few really nice days here, and because hes all covered over in the sling and pulled into your body, he really has been getting hot. i spent a day with him stripped down to his vest in the sling but it was still too hot for him so i found myself picking him out of it and carrying him round a bit to cool down.
thats obviously just the slings in general though as im guessing theyre all made pretty much the same

Hiya, I know this is not exactly the type of sling you are looking for... But I love it. It takes a bit of getting used to getting them in and out, but its really secure and comfy when its on. Phoebe now likes to be facing outwards and watching the world, and her arms and legs are free which she also loves. Might be worth a look.

http://www.closebabycarrier.com/

I had a look at www.thebabywearer.com for you and looking at the reviews there I'd say avoid the premaxx.

I don't understand why he only considers premaxx and babasling to be 'brand name' :think:

Personally I prefer soft sturctured carriers (like mei tais but with buckles) and wraps to pouches. I'dlove to try a mei-tai as I think they may be better than the soft structured carriers. I have pouches and ringslings but I don't like all her weight being on one shoulder. Maybe it's just because I'm not very good with them but I don't feel she'd be supported enough in a pouch for me to do housework etc. If you want a mei tai, get it. It will be nicer for you if the weight is better distributed. Some brand names for your OH - Ellaroo, Napsack, Catbirdbaby, Babyhawk, Kozy and SimplyMeitai :D Look on the baby wearer for reviews.

Personally, I prefer using wraps but for going on a flight I'd be tempted to use my connecta (www.connecta.com) as it would be easiest to put on and off while sitting on a plane and I'd pack a wrap. I have 3 connectas (cord, cotton and solarweave) and for going to Cyprus I would take the solarweave as it is our go to carrier when we are hot and sweaty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back