Sleeping through and amount of milk

mandspice

Reaction score
For those whose babies sleep through, did they start taking more milk during the day before they did so? This really applies to bottle fed babies I guess. Dexter takes 4oz at most feeds - occasionally 3oz - and feeds every 3-4 hours on average. Will we need to wait for him to up his consumption before he goes through the night?

Jack has been sleeping through for the past week after we switched to hungry baby milk. He takes around 100ml - about 4oz - every 3 hours approx. He is now feeding around 9 or 10pm and sleeping til his next feed at 7.30am. He takes a bigger feed in the morning though. He is a big baby though, so not sure if that also makes a difference - at his 6week check last Thursday he was 13lb 11oz!

HideiLu said:
Jack has been sleeping through for the past week after we switched to hungry baby milk. He takes around 100ml - about 4oz - every 3 hours approx. He is now feeding around 9 or 10pm and sleeping til his next feed at 7.30am. He takes a bigger feed in the morning though. He is a big baby though, so not sure if that also makes a difference - at his 6week check last Thursday he was 13lb 11oz!

Wow, thats fantastic - Jack was born the same day as Dexter, it's great that he sleeps thru already. Did you switch to hungry baby milk because he was draining all his bottles?

Erm if emptying bottles it could be a growth spurt time also (6-7 weeks or thereabouts) and might just need to increase regular formula instead of using hungry baby stuff. Its thicker/heaiver so takes longer to digest. Sort of fools the tummy into feeling full but they take less of it iirc. I'd look to increasing normal formula before using hungry baby. Growth spurts will have them wanting to feed more.

Sherlock said:
Erm if emptying bottles it could be a growth spurt time also (6-7 weeks or thereabouts) and might just need to increase regular formula instead of using hungry baby stuff. Its thicker/heaiver so takes longer to digest. Sort of fools the tummy into feeling full but they take less of it iirc. I'd look to increasing normal formula before using hungry baby. Growth spurts will have them wanting to feed more.

Thanks Sherlock, but I thought you were breastfeeding? I am aware of growth spurts and also my first plan is to increase the normal formula, however, I am curious about hungry baby milk and would like to hear people's experience of this.

Sherlock said:

Ditto what sherlock said, that's what my HV said when I asked about switching to SMA white. We have just upped him from 3 or 4oz to 5 and he is happy with a 5 for now. If he's not sleeping through in a couple of months, we'll see about switching then, but will leave it for now. :D

mandspice....dexter is the cutest!! i love his name. OH wanted to call riley that when we first found out but i didnt let him cos of the TV show lol :lol: Your Dexter is just gorgeous though! :)

claire2711 said:
Sherlock said:

Ditto what sherlock said, that's what my HV said when I asked about switching to SMA white. We have just upped him from 3 or 4oz to 5 and he is happy with a 5 for now. If he's not sleeping through in a couple of months, we'll see about switching then, but will leave it for now. :D

mandspice....dexter is the cutest!! i love his name. OH wanted to call riley that when we first found out but i didnt let him cos of the TV show lol :lol: Your Dexter is just gorgeous though! :)

Aw, thank you - we picked the name before we'd heard of the TV show and I must admit I did think twice when I heard the serial killer thing :lol: but the name suits him now. Riley's a lovely name for a lovely little cutie too xxx

I think Becky was on about 150ml when she started sleeping through but was older than your LO when she did it (about 12 weeks or so). He'll do it in his own time so I'd try not to worry. I wouldn't bother changing to hungry baby milk unless he takes a full bottle and then demands more, all it does is sit in the stomach longer.

Connie started doing 11-12 hours at night at about 3 and a half months but there was NO difference in terms of bottle consumption, we just fed her every 3-4 hours instead of on demand (because sometimes she'd go up to 6 hours during the day between feeds) to compensate.

Now she's on just 4 milk feeds a day - usually of about 5-6oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back