Sleeping alone problem

floridagirl

Reaction score
Hi, my son is 6 and always been very sensitive although you would never think so when he is with his friends (Mr cool and tough guy who plays rugby like his dad) but at bedtime he loves his teddies and to snuggle for a while before going to bed. however since I have been pregnant (14 weeks) I have been extremely tired and very sick so I have been going to bed when both children do (I have a 9 year old girl too) my son has been getting in with me and cuddling up but I have been falling straight to sleep. When my husband comes to bed he then has to carry our son to his own bed as he has also fell asleep in our bed. This is not ideal and killing my husbands back so we have told him that he must go in his own bed and fall asleep there. We have our usual snuggle and story etc then they both go off to bed but that's when the crying starts, he says he is scared (ranging from sharks to robbers :shock:) we have tried the softly soft approach, we have tried a sticker/reward chart and even shouting at him ( he is in our bedroom every 2 minutes crying) this has been going on for weeks and some nights it's 4am before he is asleep :shock: in the last few weeks he has fallen asleep without crying about 4 times and I think this is due to being totally shattered! We praised him and even promised him a toy for being a big boy but it doesn't last! Last night he was crying and crying, at 3 am I found he had crawled into our room and curled up on the floor at the side of my bed. It's heart braking to see him so upset. But what can we do!

Last edited:
Hey hun my son is 6 and he used to really struggle going to sleep at night alone, he wud promise at bed time he wud go straight to sleep etc but 5 mins after goin downstairs he wud be down sayin he was scared etc, so I googled for advice and then came across a post about a bedtime fairy I explained it similar to the tooth fairy and if he goes to sleep straight away on his own she comes in the night and leaves a little toy car under his pillow for him to find I the morning, then when they are used to gettin there self to sleep alone at night u gradually take the presents out of the equation, this has work every day for 3 weeks now, It has worked for me as I was really struggling with it getting stressed etc,
Might not be any help to u but thought wud share just incase, told jake I read about her and it starts when u are 6 that's why she hadn't been before etc and explained it in the day and kept droppin it into conversations throughout the day x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back