Slapped Cheek/Fifth Disease **UPDATE**

Laura_C

Reaction score
It could only happen to me!!

I went round to my friends yesterday with Grace and after about half an hour of being there she told me that her son had recently had slapped cheek! I saw him about 5/6 weeks previous too. She also said that her youngest was vomitting the day before! OMG the stress is killing me as I am so scared that I have now been exposed to it. I have already had a child with Hydrops Fetalis and this is one of the main virus' to cause it!! I wish she had told me prior to me going around there. I wouldn't have taken the risk. I called the doctors this morning and she wants me to have an antibody blood test this afternoon to check if I'm already immune. I'm absolutely sh**ing a brick!! If I'm not immune and Grace has picked it up whilst playing with her son then I'm again at risk.

Just going to have to wait and see what happens :(

Last edited:
Oh hun, she really should have told you. Please try not to worry yourself, you've done all the right things and now your Dr's know they can give you all the tests and treat you as necessary. My friend had Slapped Cheek while pregnant and all turned out to be absolutely fine hun xxx

:hug: She really should have mentioned to you! Ill be keeping my fingers crossed that your immune system is top notch but hopefully all will be well for you. x

My friend said she was really sorry she didn't realise and asked if I wanted to leave. I just didn't feel like it was very polite to run out of there! Her eldest with the confirmed case is over it, once rash appears it's not contagious so I don't think he is contagious anymore. It's just with her saying that her little one had been poorly the day before as he would currently be in the incubation period as he hasn't got any rash. He seemed well yesterday just a bit cranky and he was eating and drinking. I have a terrible headache I can't shift but i think it's prob a mixture of my prescription on my glasses and dehydration and now prob stress! I'm gonna have to wait for the results too, hopefully should only be a few days. I'm off there now, I'll update when I have my results x

Oh hun - what stress for you. I really hope you are immune to it. xxxx

It would be at the worst time, it's says it most dangerous between 9-20 weeks if pregnancy and can cause miscarriage at this time :( I'm 17 weeks!

Try to stay positive - it will do no good getting all stressed out about it as I guess there's nothing that can be done to change things now.

Fingers crossed for you and lots of:hugs:

Poor you! Hope all is OK. Fingers crossed for you xxx

As mablestarr said, there's nothing you can do about it now so try and not stress so much (easier said then done I know but less stress equals good stuff so hugs and I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. I've also told little madame in there too to cross her fingers and toes for you too :) xxxx

Had blood test an told to call for results same time next week - so just a week to wait and if I'm immune then no worries - fingers crossed xx

Aw hun, hope you're ok, you've done the right thing going to the doctors. Sometimes people just don't think outside their own little bubble and how things might affect others.

Hope the next week goes in quickly for you and I'm sure everything will be ok :hugs:

Hope your ok hunny and your test come back that your immune to it x x

Sorry I didn't update this sooner, but it turned out I wasnt immune to Parvovirus/Slapped Cheek :(

GP said there was nothing I could do but it was advisable that I had another test in 3 weeks as I was actually symptomatic by the time my first results were back. I think it was just a cold but don't wanna take the risk of not checking. So that was a few weeks ago and I have my next set of blood test to be done on Weds 22nd. If they find antibodies this time then they know it is new infection. Pls cross your fingers that all is well for us.

We've had two scans in the last few weeks and all was well so hopefully that's a good sign :) must stay positive!

Hi,I'm so sorry to hear all of that - you must be so worried. I have fingers and toes crossed for you it all works out. I also know several people who were exposed to slapped cheek (school teachers) whilst pregnant, 1 got it and she was fine :) 2 didn't catch it even though they wern't ammune.

I know this isn't PC to say .....but your friend should have known better, i was recently told at aBBQ that a friend who is a teacher may have been exposed and didn't tell me until later in general chit chat, i am so angry i can't bring myself to talk to her - anyone that puts our babys at risk is daft or selfish!

Good luck - I'm sure you will be fine!!!!

Everything crossed for you, after all you've been through you must be really going through the mill. xxx

Fingers crossed all is well with you and your LO. Take care and keep us posted on the results

Hopefully should get the results next week, they said Weds x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back