Silent reflux or milk problems? Symptom list

The soy milk is worth a try but if it doesn't help it is worth being aware thst a fairly large percentage (but not all) of babies that teact to cows milk also react to soy.

Kitty how are you doing? Amelia went back to the doctors on Thursday as she was screaming and arching back at her morning feed and I was desperate so got her into doctors in the afternoon. I saw yet another doc (can never see the same one at ours as they work different days) and she said to carry on with the gaviscon and see how Amelia goes. The doc said she would discuss with senior doc who deals with paeds and phone back as she wasn't sure if it was too early for a change in milk. Anyway got a call Thursday night to say carry on with gaviscon and if no better to go back to docs after weekend.

The doc told me if she got any worse to take her to A&E over the weekend as a paediatric doc could look at her there and then. If she does have a milk allergy then we would be referred to the hospital straight away as the on set of symptoms is as soon as she feeds which could mean a more severe allergy.

So far so good and she has been taking her feeds although we have had trouble latching on again to her bottle but I refuse to buy anymore bottles/teats. I have upped her bottles to 5oz and although it may take her 30 min which is good compare to previous of 1 hour, she's taking her milk and has been sleeping longer through the night. I still think she has an allergy to milk as her face has a rash that goes red when feeding which I am going to discuss next week at her 8 week check up.

My other half has taken her out for an hour hence why I'm on here!! It's nice to get a little bit of peace. Hope you are managing to get a break. The health visitor is going to give me a call this week to see how I am as I broke down when she came to visit last week. At times I don't even know what day I'm on and can't believe we are in July now.

Take care and keep on insisting to see the doc or even present at A&E to be seen.

Tracey

Deffo looks like CMPA to me looking at her wee pic and the symptoms, my son was exactly the same, then at 7 weeks he was started on nutramigen prescribed milk and the difference was massive I finally got to enjoy my baby!

We've been on prescriptive milk for nearly two weeks now with no change. They won't see her again for another month as it can take up to 6 weeks to make a difference - lets face it, something would have happened by now.

We've been on prescriptive milk for nearly two weeks now with no change. They won't see her again for another month as it can take up to 6 weeks to make a difference - lets face it, something would have happened by now.

Which milk is she on? x

She may be on the first tier or medicated food may need a different type! My friends little girl had little or no change in nutramigen then changed onto another one and worked better for her

When my lg got diagnosed we were started on nutramigen which is hydrolised dairy milk and if she was still reacting after a month they would have put her on neocate which is completely dairy free in all forms, they don't go straight for that as its even more expensive than nutramigen

For some reason they put forward our appointment, which I had yesterday.
They're not really willing to do anything else because she's putting on weight :'(
They'll see us again in a few weeks, but I'm not expecting any progression or change of milk (she's on Nutramigen) - I just don't know what else to do or who else to turn to? I know there's something wrong! It is not normal for a tiny baby to refuse feeds and constantly choke/cry when she does feed

My little girl still gained weight on cows milk formula just slowly . She's only 18lb at 15 months old. I would request a referral to a dietician through either your health visitor or gp. They can't refuse to refer you if you request it. Have you go Facebook? If you have join the cmpa weaning support group. I find it really helpful. They always have good advice. Xxx

My lo was on Aptimal Pepti which is extensively hydrolysed like Nutramigen and it didn't do anything for him. After 3/4 weeks i think it's reasonable to request a change. The next stage is Puramino which is also made by Nutramigen and is completely dairy free. We trialled this for around 8 weeks and it didn't work which confirmed my lo doesn't have a milk allergy. I would second going through the health visitor and see if they can refer you. I know she had a tongue tie snipped early on, has anyone checked that it was snipped correctly or that it hasn't reattached? They do often reattach unfortunately x

My youngest sister had a milk allergy AND the normal soy milk gave her bad reactions too. Eventually she got something specially prepared by the pharmacist. Make sure you get enough rest, bring her with family for an afternoon, take an evening for yourself every week to go sporting... I really hope something works for you, soon. Don't give up!

My little boy doesn't choke when feeding but he does throughout the day and has been known to stop breathing. Yesterday they finally diagnosed silent reflux so we now have medication if sounds like your little girl could have the same. They diagnosed via ultrasound scan so I would ask x

It sounds like cmpa of the more severe kind.. my boy was the same with instant reactions as soon as he fed.. nutamagin made him worse.. like already said it's the way it's made as it still has some of the protein in it. Oliver was changed to nutamagin a a that is now puramino and the first bottle on that he was a changed baby.. he is 23 months now and still can't tolerate dairy so is still on puramino as he is also allergic to soy.. that's very common with those who have severe reactions.. I'd ask for a milk change to puramino hun it's the next one up and should make a difference.. you have every right to ask just might need to be insistent.. xxx

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted. To say I totally empathise with you, my lg has most of those symptoms. I have changed her milk from c&g to aptamil and it is better but not a complete transformation! Have been given gaviscon and they said try it if it doesn't work they'll prescribe ranitidine but I haven't explored it any further as I am worried about the constipation. She tends to have 5/6 oz every 2-3 hours (was 1.5hrs on c&g, I think she was trying to drink to soothe her throat) but is generally unsettled all day. I partly put this down to over tiredness as she. Doesn't sleep easily during the day and then crashes in the evening. It's really hard work! She's lovely first thing in the morning and a little gremlin in the afternoon! Also taking her to chiropractor as midwife identified some tension so she's currently having that treated. Docs also weren't really interested as she's gaining weight and keep being. Told it's self limiting and should go away by a year or so...... So only 10 months "or so" to go then... Great!

My mum has bought me SMA soya formula today... she insists I try it (that's what I was given when I was a baby because of a milk allergy and it worked wonders immediately apparently). I do really want to give it a go, I've tried everything bloody else, but really unsure I should?!

hmmm it's difficult as you have switched off the standard cows milk formulas and so not sure if it's any different with soy milks.It could possibly upset her tummy if she has only been on her current formula a short while, a friends gp told her to leave it atleast 2 weeks before changing X

Last edited:
Others have made lots of good sugestions just thought I'd add that DS had CMPI but he also had problems with choking that seemed to be unrelated. We saw a lactation consultant when he was 4 months old as BFing was still not very smooth and she said he seemed to have problems with coordinating his swallowing. Interestingly he still had a hard time swallowing when he started weaning. For months her made weird choking noises when eating pureed food or ddinking liquids. He was fine with finger food though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back