Short Luteal Phase :(

kanga86

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some advice from u lovely ladies or a big slap to sort me out from worrying! I have only been using opk's last month and this month so far so preety new to what it all means.

My cycle last month was my first proper one since my mc and erpc. I ov'ed on cd16 according to my opk's, and af arrived on cd28, giving me a 12 day LP. Which I think is quite short, my problem is, is I think I had a chemical pregnancy as I had a faint bfp on a hpt at 8dpo, the neg's after. My af was extremely heavy (worse than my mc) and I was changing super plus tampons every 2 hours because of leakage (sorry, tmi). this lasted 2 days before becoming normal. I have never had a period that heavy before so really got me thinking!!

Going back to the cycle I got my bfp, I got a faint bfp on a ic around 5-6 days after af was due but ignored it until I got a pos on a fr at 10days late (no testing inbetween). I had neg hpt the day af was due and the day after, but this could have been due to only technically being 12dpo if my LP was short then too.

The reason I think that cycle was messed up is because I had a mmc, but bean stopped growing around 5ish weeks, so if I mc'ed at the time it would have been called a chemical pregnancy, can u have one of this and then the body not let go?

Fast forward to this cycle and i am now cd18 and ov'ing today after my pos opk's the last 2 days with yesterdays being the darkest. Which means if I have my usual 30 day cycle (never had a longer one) then I would have a short 12 day LP again!! My cycles since may 2010 have been 28,30,27,30,27,25,30,28,40 (delayed by having copper coil removed),28,30 then BFP.

So now I'm so scared that I am going to mc again because my LP is too short for me to stay pregnant. Sorry if none of this makes any sense but I had to get it all out, just wish i could actually enjoy my 2ww rather than now being petrified that I am going to have a mc! :cry: xxx

Last edited:
Didnt want to read and run hun, but i did alot of research into this a few months agao when i thought i had a short LP. On average an LP should last between 12-16days so ur 12days is fine hun :) i have and LP of 13days. anything under 12 is worring and its due to and hormone (cant remember what its called now)
I would wait and see what this cycle has to bring as OV, and LP can change from cycle to cycle and if u r still worried then go to ur doctors because after testing they can give u a boost of this hormone or something like to help with LP. But 12days is fine, honestly not as good as 14 but u can still carry with 12days hun :) Dont forget it still hasnt been long since ur mc :( sorry to hear about that. Your body could still be ajusting

We are so similar hon! he he

This is what I was worried about with the spotting I get. I agree with Natasha, maybe wait until the end of this cycle and then if still worried, definitely go and see your doctor. If it is a short luteal phase, it can be treated fairly easily I'm pretty sure. Sending hugs x

thank u for the replies ladies! definitely what i needed. i think i am just so paranoid since the mc that i think that every chance we have is going fail!! I know my cycles could be a bit haywire after the mc, i suppose only the next 2 weeks will tell what is happening!! xx

When I started tracking my cycle I realised my lp was on the short side. I ovulate later but still have a 28 day cycle. However on a couple of occasions I had a 26 day cycle and a lp of 10 days. I started taking Agnes castus up to OV to see if I could even things out a bit. I got BFP the second month after that. I don't know if AC helped but I'd do the same again in the same situation.

thanks ninja, i might look into AC if i do if fact have a short LP this cycle. I might even go to the docs to ask them about it especially after everything that has happened! xx

My be worth talking to the GP. Sometimes something like thyroid can effect LP. My be worth tapping up MrsMc for info on tests as she was eventually diagnosed with Graves disease and got her sticky after getting treated. The good news is that even though you had an MMC you managed to get past the initial sticky phase ie past LP disorder phase so that's a good sign. GL :)

Hi hon, sorry I don't have the answer although since coming off the pill I have got a menstrual cycle app on my phone to help me monitor my cycle to see what my normal pattern is. Like Ninja, it is sometimes just normal or a flucke that particular month. xxx

Hiya, anything shorter than 12 is consided a short lutal phase, your's being 12 is fine as mine is 12 too. However looking at your cycles you recorded over the months they have been up & down never the same, am wondering if you cyclogest progesterone would help you & may help if you have had chemical pregnancys too.

Chemical pregnancys can be caused through chromosome defects which can happen but there mainely caused through low progesterone hormone. Worth speaking to your dr about the cyclogest. Dont be worrying about your lutal phase at the min cause 12 is within normal range. The fact your getting a positive opk is good too, so you are ovulating. Goodluck hun x

Last edited:
Hiya, anything shorter than 12 is consided a short lutal phase, your's being 12 is fine as mine is 12 too. However looking at your cycles you recorded over the months they have been up & down never the same, am wondering if you cyclogest progesterone would help you & may help if you have had chemical pregnancys too.

Chemical pregnancys can be caused through chromosome defects which can happen but there mainely caused through low progesterone hormone. Worth speaking to your dr about the cyclogest. Dont be worrying about your lutal phase at the min cause 12 is within normal range. The fact your getting a positive opk is good too, so you are ovulating. Goodluck hun x
Im not 100% sure about my Luteal Phase yet but as soon as I do I will defo ask you Star33! :) x

Thank u so much for ur reply star, it makes loads of sense. I will definitely talk to a doc after this 2ww if it is a short one or all over the place just to get some piece of mind about it all.

Feeling ok about everything and just waiting for the witch to arrive as not feeling hopeful now, but I'm ok about it. Xx

Kanga86, keep positive hunni, you still have 11 days to go till test day. ;) Fingers crossed for you. xx

Thank u Hun, it is weird feeling of being ok if the witch turns up rather than feeling as though I will be absolutely devastated like I was last month. I'm sure that feeling will change the closer I get to testing day! Xx

Ah bless ya, i know exactly what you mean. Its cause your gearing yourself up for a bfn, so your preparing yourself. You could be in for a shock!! ;) i am the same, 1 month i am well & truly depressed over a bfn then the following month, am like well its gonna be another bfn this month so i aint building my hopes up. In a sad way you get use to it dont ya. Maybe if we ask mr storky to hurry up with our bundle then it might bring us some luck hehehe. xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back