Seperate kettle for baby when bottle-feeding??

Dee83

Reaction score
In my baby book it tells you to have a seperate kettle for boiling babies water for his feeds. It says it's because the water for the formula needs to be fresh, boiled just once and cooled before the powder is added. So if someone wants to make a cup of tea when you only have the one kettle you would have to start all over again with a fresh lot of water and then wait for it to cool which would be a pain.

I don't know if this is a little over the top and i could just say that nobody can use the kettle until i've done the bottles or do u think it's worth getting another one?

Sounds petty, i know, but i'm just trying to be extra prepared and to make life as easy as poss when baby arrives!xxx

i always used one kettle, id make up the days bottles in the morning pop them in the fridge then it wouldnt matter about making cups of tea through the day x

Id say make people wait for their tea!

i always used one kettle, id make up the days bottles in the morning pop them in the fridge then it wouldnt matter about making cups of tea through the day x

unfortunately guidelines now say if ur using powder, you cant make them in advance as there is a bacteria in it that if they are re-heated can make the baby ill. So bottles have to be made fresh each time you want one.

ill still be making mine up in the morning for the whole day x it never did my 2 any harm x

thats what my mum said but I suppose when its ur first ur going to go by the book, especially at the beginning

yeah i think with your first your extra careful, i always put an extra 1/2 oz of water in feed as this stops baby becoming constipated as they can do when they have formula feeds x x

also trust me its easier to heat a bottle up when theres a crying baby than it is to wait for it too cool lol xxx

My Sister just boiled the kettle and made a warm/hot bottle and allowed it to cool.

x

Obviously it's whatever you'll find easier but I think I'll be telling people they'll have to wait lol x

unfortunately guidelines now say if ur using powder, you cant make them in advance as there is a bacteria in it that if they are re-heated can make the baby ill. So bottles have to be made fresh each time you want one.

omg i didn't know this!!! I was planning on just making them all and putting them in the fridge! I mean, what if you go out for the day, u need to take enough bottles with you as u can't make them fresh! I'm confused now! x

i must admit i had a seperate kettle when ds was born it was only a cheapie from argos i used to boil it first thing in the morning wait till it had cooled a little then pour just the water in the bottles then as i needed a bottle i just added the powder shake well and fed him i never worried about warming up bottles they were never freezing as they were always room temp always worked really well if i was going out i just took one of them milk dispensers with me and the bottled water

i must admit i had a seperate kettle when ds was born it was only a cheapie from argos i used to boil it first thing in the morning wait till it had cooled a little then pour just the water in the bottles then as i needed a bottle i just added the powder shake well and fed him i never worried about warming up bottles they were never freezing as they were always room temp always worked really well if i was going out i just took one of them milk dispensers with me and the bottled water

Thanks Sarah, that sounds like a good plan! So, after putting the cooled water into the bottles do u just leave them on the kitchen side or something to keep them at room temp?

I've gone and got a bottle warmer now too :dohh:

Just reading this, I was planning on making the bottles in the morning with just the hot water and letting it cool and adding the formula when needing and reheating but are you not allowed to do that then??

yeah just poured in the water put the lids back on and left them on the side till when i needed them then just added powder and that was that! my mum used to say i was mean giving jack cold milk but it was never cold as it was at room temp, not sure if it made a difference or not but he was never a sickie baby and put weight on every week even the first week! he slept really well when he was very little so def will be doing the same this time round x

Just reading this, I was planning on making the bottles in the morning with just the hot water and letting it cool and adding the formula when needing and reheating but are you not allowed to do that then??

yeah you can do that i think you are not supposed to put the powder in and leave it for hours! but at hospital they don't give babies warm milk it is at room temp unless you go and warm it yourself x

i read that if you keep it in the fridge then its ok for up to 12 hours otherwise 4 hours x

omg i didn't know this!!! I was planning on just making them all and putting them in the fridge! I mean, what if you go out for the day, u need to take enough bottles with you as u can't make them fresh! I'm confused now! x

I know, its what my midwife told me. I know people who make the bottles cold and then heat them when they go out. But not sure what u would do about cold water as if it hasnt being boiled first then its not steralised so to speak. You could boil the water and let it cool completely til its cold. then bring that out with you and add the powder later when you need to and find somewhere to heat it up.
Its all about the powder itself not being heated twice; all to do with pasteurisation cos if you use the cartons of ready made formula you can heat them as much as u want

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back