School dinners

sophie

Reaction score
Kai started school last week and is having school dinners, he was ok at first but now he's really not, this morning he was beggin me not to send him to school cos he hates the dinners, he said he was crying at dinner time yesterday but no one told me, ie teacher. He said no one seen him cryin? i dunno if to just stick it out an see how he goes or just let him take sandwiches. I really wanted him to have dinners 1. cos he will be tryin diff things 2. cos he will only eat cheese sandwiches 3. its cheeper to go dinners. Anyway has anyone been through this? and do u think its just because its early days? or am i being cruel? i feel so guilty cos he was so upset this morning.
xx

Both my daughters take packed lunch but I can understand your concerns. Maybe let him take packed lunch for the rest of this term until he is more settled and then change back? My youngest started school two weeks ago and on friday she came out of school and asked if she could eat her lunch when she got home, I asked her why, she said she hadn't heard her house group get called for lunch and therefore had completely missed out, she had no food and drink all day, I was fuming! Surely at the tender age of 4 they should not be expected to look after themselves?
Hope you get it sorted
x

Hvae a word with his teacher hun, you would be suprised how many kids kick up a fuss about school dinners, if he is trying new things and not liking it you need to make sure he is not being forced to eat it

Lunchtime supervisors have a hard job as they don't want the kids to starve and have to try and persuade them to try and eat diff stuff.

but if this is what is making him un happy, i wouldn't force the issue

you should have been given a menu when he strted, maybe you could sit down with him and work out from that what he likes or doesn't

Are his friends taking sandwhiche? as they don't usually sit together

All the kids seem to be having school dinners, ide have thought that if there was a problem then the teacher would have said somethin??
jo thats a grat idea about menu i will def do that tonight, he's not really a fussy eater as such i just dont think he likes the whole idea of eatin at school. im gonna have a chat with him tonight and i think ill let him decide wot he wants to do?? i feel so guilty :cry:
My SIL had a problem with my neice at first the teacher said she was not eating her dinners but my SIL stuck at it an shes fine now shes in yr 1, but i think kai's eating them but he's getting upset about it :(
thanks for the advice!
xx

EllieG said:
Both my daughters take packed lunch but I can understand your concerns. Maybe let him take packed lunch for the rest of this term until he is more settled and then change back? My youngest started school two weeks ago and on friday she came out of school and asked if she could eat her lunch when she got home, I asked her why, she said she hadn't heard her house group get called for lunch and therefore had completely missed out, she had no food and drink all day, I was fuming! Surely at the tender age of 4 they should not be expected to look after themselves?
Hope you get it sorted
x

Ellie that is disgusting, i hope you went and complained
Little ones should always go in first as a group, and it is up to the supervisors to check that they have gone in!!!!!

i am so cross for you i would never let thta happen

Sophie, i dunno how big the school is that Kai is at but just think how scary and noisy it will be for him, all them at the top end of school will push and shove and he will feel so tiny because he doesn't know what he is doing
I know when i started working lunchtimes i was terrified it is so noisy you would not beleive

Don't feel guilty hun, just let him decide and make sure he goes to a teacher if he is unsure or scared

I did say this morning to make sure if hes scared or upset then to tell his teacher, i nearly never sent him this morning, but i thought yeah thats setting him a great example! so he's gone an he seemed fine once there. im gonna have the chat tonight an see how things go from there.
thank you
xx

EllieG that is awful, i hope it never happens again the poor love! it must be so scary for, i know what i was like starting a new job so it must be million times worse for children :cry:
xx

well straight after writing this i had a phone call from the school. Kai had been sick, he had ate his dinner and been sick, he'd obviosly worked himself up that much. we have decided he is goin to take packed lunch from now on poor lad.
xx

Awwww poor little thing

I'm annoyed they let him get in such a state about it :evil:

silly bints obviously need more training!!!

the teacher didnt even think there was a problem?
Anyway he went off this morning as proud as punch with his cars the movie lunch bag, that he'd helped me make up!
xx

i worked as a dinner lady for 5 years and i would not let my kids have the crap that comes out of the kitchens

The school dinners are lovely at our school Mary - Jamies school dinners obviously did a lot for dinners I even have one myself.

Our dinners have improved tremendously since Daniel started there 8 years ago. Unfortunately, this term, they started charging us £3 a day for the privelege. Same company does the dinners for the primary school and high school so it was costing us £45 a week :shock: Don't mind for Dan so much cos he goes back for 2nds / 3rds / 4ths and 5ths, but Charlotte the sparrow has half a baked potato, salad, piece of fruit and a glass of water. It's school policy to pick dinners / packed lunch at the start of term and stick to it - this term there's been uproar over prices and it's only kids on free meals that are left in the dinner hall :evil:

Mason's school charge £1.65 a day and the standard is great. I like that all meal are cooked in the school kitchen and they only have chips on the menu once a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back