Lunch Box Ideas

xSuzx

Reaction score
Tan suggested this sticky and I thought it'd be a good idea aswell for use all to share Iour tips for on what to put in a lunch box to ensure our Kiddies get a good healthy lunch when at school or nursery.

I'll start
Ethan has:-
Cheese Sandwich
A bottle of squash
A yogurt drink
2 pieces of fruit (he picks normally Kiwi and grapes or melon)

Callum goes school dinners but when he used to have lunch at pre school I used to give him the above but also added:-
A tub containing Rice with chopped mixed vegetables.

xSuzx

Well Noah doesnt have a packed lunch, but I give him finger food for his lunch, he normally has a round of sanwiches or toast, with marmite, fish paste, cream cheese, tuna and mayo etc. And a babybell. Then some fresh fruit like apple, grapes, banana, tangerine etc followed by a yogurt.

Or how about givin a cold cooked chicken drumstick or sausage and some salad finger foods like tomatoes and a lump of cucumber or carrot.

Also a cold couscous salad in a tupperware pot, kids love that, with lots of brightly coloured mixed veg in and a tomatoe sauce.

Wow your LO's eat so much more than Sam! When he was little he would eat almost anything but now he is stuck in a bit of a habit I think. Getting him to eat anything other than chicken nuggets at tea time is difficult and at lunch he has dairylea sandwiches or marmite or chocolate spread, strawberries/banana/apple/grapes, quavers or wotsits and those yoghurt covered fruit bits or fruit bars.
He's a bit naughty though cause I think he tries loads of things when he's a nursery as they get them to taste different things etc but he won't do it for me at home. I try to ignore it and hope he'll grow out of it as I don't know what else to do.

Tan x

Forgot to say, will definitely have a go with the chicken/sausage and salad idea but I don't think he'll eat cous cous or rice!

Tan x

Or chicken satay with a dip. Kids love food on sticks!

Young kids are real sheep when it comes to eating, he probably eats more at nursery cause the other kids do. If you ive him what ever your having for dinner and eat at the sam time, he may be more inclined to do so, if he doesnt just let him go without, once he gets hungry he will eat it. If you give a child choices it alwasy makes things more dificult. Let him learn that he either eats what you eat or goes hungry. Also try to let im get involved with preparing meals, kids like to eat what they have made themselves, and arrange thins on a plate in a fun way too.

My brother and his family came round for dinner once. and at the time there 4 year old daughter wouldnt eat any meat at all. I had her help me make the dinner (lamb hot pot) and then arranged her plate to look like a facce with the veg. She was thrilled and wanted to show everyone her dinner and then ate it all, when she had never eaten lamb before.

Mason has a mixture of the following:

Ham or Cheese sandwich
Cherry tomatoes
grapes/mini apple or banana
Small choc bar
mini sausages
drink
Slice of Raisin loaf or a hot cross bun (he loves these)
Block of cheese or a cheese string thing.

i've had to find some new things for ryan because he stopped eating certain things, like he went off bread unless it was toasted so i've started getting mini pittas cos the big ones are a bit too thin if that makes sense, the mini ones are more doughy, i stick beef or chicken spread or cheese spread in these n he loves them at the min, normally with apple banana or grapes, but at the min ryan seems to put the apple in his mouth chew it into little pieces then spit it out n start again with a fresh bit... hmm how weird is that?
he loves yoghurts but i cant get him to eat chunks of cheese or cheese strings he just wont eat them, as a treat i've been lettin him have some mini cheddars cos he loves them!

i like the mini sausages idea tho might try some of those with this wks shoppin

How about cubes of cheese and apple and raisins? I used to have that as a child and it was so yummy and good fun too

Sorry to intrude here, but wanted to say my best friend found adding lots of little notes in her sons lunchbox got him excited about lunchtime and helped him eat healthier snacks, just thought I'd mention it :hug:

its charlottes big day thursday lol...

im thinking a seeded ham/cheese/chicken roll she loves seeded bread - we dont buy anything else lol..i hate white bread so its gotta be that or brown rolls.

cheese cubes, cucumber and cherry toms, in a container.. small one

a yogart or fruit, could possibly do a mini fruit salad and provide disposable spoons?
and juice/squash in a thermos so its chilled

any otehr ideas on healthy snacks for school?

ooo just edited mine.. thoguht sugar free jelly.. make it myself in a tidgy pot.. roundtrees own are to watery..

I think when Isaac goes to nursery/school and takes a packed lunch, because he is vegetarian, I will give him things he can share with other kids so they don't think he's weird. Things likes breadsticks and dip or carrot sticks, red and green pepper sticks, cucumber sticks with dip or hummus (although hummus is a bit stinky). I'm also waiting to try him with different nuts and seeds. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are supposed to be good and healthy too! They sell loads of alternative food like that in tesco, its just a case of buying it and it being a hit or miss.

I must admit I don't like the idea of them frube things. Not very good manners sucking yogurt straight out of a tube I think :shakehead: :wink: Makes me shudder :lol:

I say all that but he'll probably end up with a dairylea dunker and a packet of wotsits like all the other kids :rotfl:

Lou :)

kiara takes for pack up a wholemeal bread sandwich (no crusts i cut them off)the filling is usally either ham,jam or cheese.then she has either a cube of cheese or a cheesestring,apple,banana or grapes and a fromage frais.she has a drink too usually blackcurrant.if i have cherry tomatoes she takes them and often its tomato andcucmber mixed with carrot sticks all in a pot.

great ideas girls, i cant wait to pack my LO her lunchbox i think id go for

of corse a sandwich with lunch meat and cheese,
peice of fruit,
probably some rasins and nuts as she enjoys stuff like that or a little bag of cerial to pick at.
deffo a yogurt she will always dive in for that
a cheese string or a stick of cucumber/carrot
a small wafer bar or nutri grain
pack of wotsits
and a sweety for afters.
a box of juice

i like the ideas of those ice packs too.
all this talk of food has made me hungry :lol:
:D

Dates., mixed tub of cheese cubes, sweet gerkin and salami and cucumber.

hmm have to be careful what i send with the kids as they keep the lunches in the classrooms so cna't send dairy unless i want to faff with ice blocks and make sandwiches sweat! so this is what mine have:-

a 2 slice sandwich/pitters/tortilla wraps/crackers,
crisps,
cheese cubes/sticks,
digestive covered choc bar,
sometimes a homemade fairycake,
and a peice of fruit.

carrot sticks/raisins for snack time in the morning.

any more than that and it just gets brought home :)

for a treat i have made up our own lunchables with mini crackers, cheese and ham/chicken and they make it them selves when they get to em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back