Salt

Cat&Noah

Reaction score
I have been trying to get Noah to eat the same food as us now at dinner time when ever possible, instead of keep giving him jars all the time, stuff like rice, pasts, tuna, chicken and cheese etc. So he sits at the table like the rest of us at meal times. But Im a bit confused about salt, I know that babies kidneys are to imature to process salt and it can be very harmfull to them, so you shoudnt add salt to cooking. But I know a lot of people recomend giving marmite on toast to babies, but when I looked on the back of the marmite jar, salt is the second highest ingredient!!! So I dont understand?!?! I have fed noah baked beans as part of his dinner and he has had sweet and sour chicken with rice, both of which have small quantities of salt and I dont know if I should do that or not. Can anyone advise?

I asked my HV about this last week and she said normal amounts of salt that are found in food is fine, but don't give high salt food like crisps, gravy etc and don't add salt to cooking. Lower salt alternatives are usually available for things like butter, gravy etc, and my HV recommended I buy those. hope that helps

Some time ago, Urchin posted info about marmite on another thread. I think on the Marmite website it does say that Marmite is not suitable for babies under 1.

I buy unsalted butter for Oscar and omit salt from our food.

Emilia xx

Cool, OI have just found governtment guidelines about this online, that say babies under 1 year of age should not have more than 1gm of salt a day (and even less of sodium which equates to higher salt levels) So the stuff Im giving him is fine.

However does anyone know if you can get low salt/salt free beef stock cubes or gravy? I normally add beef oxo to spag bol and sheppards pie and stuff, so I wanted to find something else to use so noah can have some too.

You can get salt free stock cubes. That should do it!

Emilia xx

emilia said:
You can get salt free stock cubes. That should do it!

Emilia xx

I have only ever seen vegtable stock cubes though. Can you get salt free beef stock cubes? if so who makes them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back