• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Salt dough xmas tree decorations....

I was speaking to my mum and we used to make these at playgroup years ago... we used to mix powder paints in to make them different colours. Also i think you can use food colouring to make them different colours. However you can just paint them after (what we are doing as its much more fun!!!)

we had a pop at the microwave ones, but they got stupidly hot too quickly. we gave up with that and put them in the oven instead.

Tomorrow after we have painted them i will take some pics (i wanted to take some of alice making them, but i got stupidly messy!! :oops: ).

also, read somewhere on the net whilst looking for ideas about using a straw to make holes if you plan to hang them up - it worked quite well!!!! :wink:

Just saw on another website, that if you are making christmas decs with them to add a little cinnamon to the dough to give off a lovely wintery smell while they hang all pretty on the tree

Ours are all made - just waiting for the tree :)
Have some left over dough in the fridge to do hand and foot prints (everyone in the family is getting one for Xmas prezzies :lol: )
Will have to take some pics - they are hilariously painted in random colours though - don't let your 2 1/2 yr old pic ;) still they're very sweet - some are covered in glitter which could be messy.... never mind !!

these are our attempts!

decs.jpg

the one on the left at the top is a girls face which millie made

aww they are fab!

Much better than what I made last year :lol:

there fab, we didnt end up making our as we couldnt get any paint or glitter from our local shops so hopefully going to go into town this week and get some bits and do then the weekend. We put our decorations up instead

mine still are not dry?! they where in the oven at 100 for over 5 hours in the end. Then i turned the oven off and left them in there. Ive left them in the top oven whilst cooking in the bottom oven as it still gets quite warm in there and they are still soft?! THey are dry around the edges.

They are not that thick either?!

Tomorrow they are going to my mums to go into her airing cupboard. fingers crossed that does the trick! :think:

Mine arent dry either, pretty thick thought o be fair lol adn i havent actually turned the oven on just left them in there lol I shall turn it on and see !

i made mine fri night, left them overnight, then they were in the oven on low for a few hours on sat, they are still soft on the back now.

Just made some myself, put them on gas mark 1 and they turned out brill, wanst sure what to do to make them not stick to the tray so just used grease proof paper, it stuck a bit but painted over great :cheer:

SarahH said:
I'm gonna do one of Arianna's foot and hand prints

good idea! Im gonna try ans do some of Izzie and Beths hand and foot prints. They'll make good chrissy presents for the parents and PIL's :D Ive got some lovely metallic pink paint somewhere which would look nice on Izzies little baby footprint one. Do you definitely have to varnish them? If so, what are you using?

EDIT: nevermind, i didnt read the thread properly! Just seen that you can use PVA glue to varnish which was what i was thinking :D

I made salt dough decs yesterday and they're crap. :cry: :cry: :cry:

They just looked rubbish. Some got burnt so I binned them and the others looked crap painted so today I made more :D Will paint them tomorrow when they are dry :D :D :D

I have just seen this thread and thought it was weird as i only made some yesterday. Recipe is:

1 cup water
2 cups plain flour
2 cups salt (the cheapest economy salt and flour is fine) knead well then colour with different food colourings, easier than painting afterwards! Cook in the oven on gas mark 6 for 20 mins, they so rock solid and very strong. Add PVA glue on the top and glitter and hey presto your kitchen is a bomb site, but a pretty sparkly bomb site..... :D Will store for days in a airtight container.

By the way coating them in PVA glue doesnt work to varnish them just use normal varnish, the PVA will just peel off but is fine to dab on for glitter to stick to.

Here are our efforts....

Saltdough.jpg

kellysomer said:
I have just seen this thread and thought it was weird as i only made some yesterday. Recipe is:

1 cup water
2 cups plain flour
2 cups salt (the cheapest economy salt and flour is fine) knead well then colour with different food colourings, easier than painting afterwards! Cook in the oven on gas mark 6 for 20 mins, they so rock solid and very strong. Add PVA glue on the top and glitter and hey presto your kitchen is a bomb site, but a pretty sparkly bomb site..... :D Will store for days in a airtight container.

By the way coating them in PVA glue doesnt work to varnish them just use normal varnish, the PVA will just peel off but is fine to dab on for glitter to stick to.

Here are our efforts....

Saltdough.jpg

bloody hell :shock: theyre BRILLIANT :cheer: mine looked terrible, lol :lol: I think food colouring with be a better idea than painting....didnt thing of that.

Well done :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back