Routine of a 3-4 month old? Whats yours?

Duds

Reaction score
I was wondering what your routines are & how long your babies sleep during the day as im having SUCH a prob with Freya's naps, she goes off fine for a nap but will only sleep for 30mins. I have tried leaving her for a bit and not rushing in and tried to get her back of to sleep for an hour yesterday only for her to finally go back for 10mins! :roll:

she has only 3 naps per day (totaling 1.5hours!) and by 5/5.30 she is overtired and very grouchy.

This is her day approx... please tell me where i am going wrong?!

7/730 am - WAKE AND FEED
sometimes goes back off straight away for 30mins
915am - NAP 30 mins
1030 - FEED
12pm - NAP 30-40mins
2pm - FEED
315pm - NAP 30mins
515pm - FEED
640pm - FEED and straight to bed
11pm - FEED (dream feed but does wake usually)
3am - FEED

Times do vary slighty but this is the general idea. I am currently trying to extend her feeds from 3hrs to every 3 1/2 hrs apart from the last feeds.
She is currently still sleeping in our room but her naps are in her cot or her swing

Poppy is just over 4 months. Her routine is a bit of a nightmare during the night at the mo as she is always hungry. I've started weaning this week and she will be going in her own room soon so hopefully that will help. :pray: I also think she is teething. I need sleep, I look like a zombie!! :shock: Her routine is roughly;-

9am - Feed
10am - Nap for 30 - 45mins
12pm - Feed (including puree)
1pm - Nap for 45 mins- 1hr
3pm - Feed
4pm - Nap for 30mins - 45 mins
6pm - Feed
8:30pm - Bath, Feed & Bed
12am - Feed
3am - Feed
5am - Feed

omg millie has a bedtime routine but thats it- apart from bath, milk, bed at aroun 7pm iv no idea when she naps or eats! :oops:

trixipaws said:
omg millie has a bedtime routine but thats it- apart from bath, milk, bed at aroun 7pm iv no idea when she naps or eats! :oops:

Same as DS, even now he might nap for 20 mins in the whole day, or a couple hours total. He's never been a big napper (unlike his sister who will nap a couple of hours somedays!)

You're not going wrong anywhere in my opinion Duds :hug:
We've always let Isaac dictate his own routine, we've only recently started a bedtime one as he was grizzly with being tired, as like Freya, he's never been a napper, and some days would maybe have 30mins out the whole day :D
Sorry that wasn't helpful, just thought I'd say I do understand what its like having a LO who doesn't really do naps :hug: Personally I'd drop the 11pm dream feed and see if she sleeps through maybe? Sorry I don't know what to suggest :hug:

An idea of our routine, my little boy initiated it and we have just gone with the flow which give or take an hour seems to be as follows.

6.20am Bottle
6.30am Nap for @1hr :sleep:
7.30am Wakes up
9.00am Porridge & Bottle
10.00am Nap for @45mins :sleep:
12.00pm Bottle
1.30pm Nap for @1hr30mins :sleep:
3.00pm Bottle
5.00pm Nap for @45mins :sleep:
6.30pm Bath followed by Tea (Lancashire Hotpot tonight) & Bottle
7.30pm Bed :sleep:
10.30pm Bottle (goes straight back off)

Playtime in between
And he sleeps through the night now WooHoo :cheer:

Just a note, he started to sleep in his own room from around 14 weeks as he's a noisy sleeper and we were constantly knackered.
He's taken to it great and he sleeps in a grobag so I don't have to sorry about him getting stuck in the bars in his sleep and I know he's nice and snug.
When I put him down for naps, the shorter ones he usually naps on me or in his pram and he wakes himself up but the big dinner time one I lie him on my bed and watch TV whilst he sleeps. That way if he wakes I stroke his head and talk softly to him and he goes off again quite fast.

Cx

At about 3-4 months Ben was rubbish at daytime napping, he'd sleep for about 20 mins and then wake up grumpy, obviously still tired. We dropped his dream feed and he started to sleep 7-7 and then started wanting more sleeps during the day. I know he's now 5 months but for the last few weeks he's been doing...
7.00 Wake and 8oz bottle
9.00 A few spoons of porridge
10.00 Nap 1 hour
12.00 Lunch and bottle
1.00 Nap 2 hours!!!! :D :D
4.00 Feed and puree
6.00 Bath
6.30 8oz bottle
7.00 Bed
I think he could do with another small nap at about 5 cos he can get very grumpy and tired by about 6. We'd love for him to stay up a bit later but can't get him to keep he's eyes open past 7 o'clock.

trixipaws said:

same her, we don't have a rountie either :? when ever nay wants to eat, she eats and same with sleep although she is going to bed early. :lol:

and we have also stared to put her in the room at night when she goes to sleep.

but other then that it's just all over the place.

but hun your not going wrong and routine takes time :D

:hug:

completely sympathise with you. grace never sleeps during the day unless in my arms which is not very convenient when i have a 14 month old. if she does stay asleep when i put her down she is awake within 30 mins. if you do find something that works feel free to let me know :pray:

Harriet is 16 weeks old and won't nap for much longer than 30mins during the day but I'm not too bothered as she sleeps well at night. She doesn't have a set routine but it does go something like this:

7-7.30 am Wakes up bottle soon after.

She feeds every 3 hours during day with a 30 min nap inbetween each feed. So 2 naps am and 1 or 2 naps pm. We try not to let her have a nap too close to bedtime. We have a set bedtime routine of bath, bottle in darkened bedroom and put down for the night. This is always between 7-7.30pm as any later and she is getting really narky and upset. She will then only wake up once for a feed in the night usually between 3-5am. Then it's back to square one again at 7am!

Jake doesnt have a rigid routine, but this is what he has made for himself really. He is having 7/8 oz per feed

7am- feed
7.30- sleep for 30 mins- 1 hour
10.30- feed
11am- nap 30 mins
2pm- feed
3pm- sleep for 1-2 hours
6pm- feed
9pm- feed
10pm- bed and sleep until 7am

Liam is 20 weeks

7:30am - Wakes, 7oz Bottle and Porridge with a spoonful of fruit puree
9:30am - Naps for half hour
11:30am 7oz bottle
12pm - Naps for 1.5 hours
3pm - 7oz Bottle
4pm - Fruit or Veg puree
6:30pm - 7oz bottle
7pm - Bed

Seems to take a lot less milk than other babies on here! He is a good weight though so not too worried...and he sleeps right through the night.

Wow I really do not have a routine compared to everyone else :( This is Willow's

Sleeps when she wants
Feeds when she wants.

Oh dear :(

We had a night time routine from day one, we were so lucky and she slept through @ 7 weeks old...

Her day and feeding were up the wall though, and it took ages to get her into one, but I started to feed her when she wanted instead of every 4 hours as the midwife suggested ,and it soon all fitted into place.

Now she naps for around 2 hours in the morning (approx 9.30am-11.30am) and a least an hour in the afternoon. we start her bed routine at 7.15pm, bath, bottle, bed.

Its hard work finding the right routine for you all, but its a great feeling when it all comes together.

Good luck xxx :hug:

my routine is only a rough one, i feed on demand so is difficult sometimes as some days - like today - she will only go 2hrs before being hungry again. i just like to know what im doing as feel a bit all over the place & terrified of them turning into a snacker.
i think the most important thing is having a bedtime routine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back