Rich girl poor girl

LucyBee said:
HappyAlice said:
I know I'm probably going to get strung up for this but... I don't think the rich family were that bad, it's true some places are dangerous and you don't want your children walking around places where people get murdered. I don't know why they didn't just move though instead of moaning about it. I'm a bit of a chav-dodger myself :oops:

I agree that any parent would want to keep their child safe but the 'rich' Mother said things like 'There are hardly any British people who live here. You never see anyone white.' Blatantly racist.

The rich girl said that she felt superior to people who went to state schools, that she wanted all chavs to die etc. etc.

I just thought that the rich family came across as being very bigotted, blinkered and sad.

I agree, I'd be disgusted if my mother came out with things like that :lol: there's just no excuse

LucyBee said:
HappyAlice said:
I know I'm probably going to get strung up for this but... I don't think the rich family were that bad, it's true some places are dangerous and you don't want your children walking around places where people get murdered. I don't know why they didn't just move though instead of moaning about it. I'm a bit of a chav-dodger myself :oops:

I agree that any parent would want to keep their child safe but the 'rich' Mother said things like 'There are hardly any British people who live here. You never see anyone white.' Blatantly racist.

The rich girl said that she felt superior to people who went to state schools, that she wanted all chavs to die etc. etc.

I just thought that the rich family came across as being very bigotted, blinkered and sad.

Gosh I don;'t remember that thats so ignorant!!! :twisted:

LucyBee said:
HappyAlice said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think racist people need to think about this:
Most of the foreigners who come to the UK come from ex British colonies anyway.

It's like belgium - belgium has lot of congolese people (my country of origin). Because Congo was once colonised by belgium. When the war/conflicts started in Congo many years ago, a lot of congolese sought refuge in belgium. It's normal. It was inevitable. My people endured years of slavery, colonial regime under the belgians, it's only fair they get asylum in Belgium. And now when the Congolese people seek refuge in belgium, the belgians get racist.
This world is twisted :x
Don't get me wrong, i think every country needs to regulate immigration etc. but racism and blatant discrimination is just plain wrong. :shakehead:

laetitia85 said:

It's like belgium - belgium has lot of congolese people (my country of origin). Because Congo was once colonised by belgium. When the war/conflicts started in Congo many years ago, a lot of congolese sought refuge in belgium. It's normal. It was inevitable. My people endured years of slavery, colonial regime under the belgians, it's only fair they get asylum in Belgium. And now when the Congolese people seek refuge in belgium, the belgians get racist.
Don't get me wrong, i think every country needs to regulate immigration etc. but racism and blatant discrimination is just plain wrong. :shakehead:

I think I love you :D

zebrastripes said:
laetitia85 said:

eh eh love you too. :hug:

laetitia85 said:
zebrastripes said:
laetitia85 said:

eh eh love you too. :hug:

:clap: :clap: I'm jumping on this love bus too! Well said! xx

laetitia85 said:

Comp;letly agree
x

... (continuing from the point I made above) Obviously this doesn't excuse all the criminal bahaviour on the streets, in the council estates etc. But there is good and evil in every race and it's not right to assume that crimes are only committed by foreigners.

In the documentary, the rich mum is worried about their children's safety, and that's perfectly understandable, but I'm sure that if she met most of the people living in those council flats, she'd find out that the majority of them are just normal, friendly and approchable people. Probably even more approachable than her - I'd feel more comfortable around the poor girl's family than the rich family, they are too judgemental, I reckon!

Oh I must have missed something about the race thing, it's so noisy in this house I can never hear programmes properly

laetitia85 said:

yes you're right and on top of that most British people have ancestors from other countries, if not the scandinavian vikings/romans then probably somewhere else :lol:

and you're right that most people are normal, friendly, approachable etc, but I still wouldn't want my daughter walking alone through a notoriously dangerous area, nothing to do with race obviously, because there are a lot of scumbags out there

HappyAlice said:
Oh I must have missed something about the race thing, it's so noisy in this house I can never hear programmes properly

laetitia85 said:

but I still wouldn't want my daughter walking alone through a notoriously dangerous area, nothing to do with race obviously, because there are a lot of scumbags out there

Oh yes I can understand that. :hug: Even me, sometimes late at night, I avoid those areas myself unless i really have to go through them. But the general opinions they had about poor people and state school kids etc. was just disguting. Even in broad daylight the girl refused to go and buy ketchup in the local supermarket because they were in the council estate part of the street. :roll:
And the comments the mum made in the car about not seeing any british people on the streets anymore was quite racist in itself, because of the way she said it. There is a difference between just saying it, as something that you've noticed, and complaining about it. Which is what she seemed to be doing. She was clearly unhappy about it, as if it was something bad that foreigners had 'taken over' the area. :roll:
I wouldn't be surprised if I was told that Channel 4 had decided to delete some scenes in which she made similar comments, in case viewers complained.

All in all the whole program was quite disturbing and I wouldn't want to be like either of the families. What shocked me and stood out to me was the disgraceful environment the little boy on the poor side was having to grow up in - aged 5 and his only bed was a piece of cardboard on a filthy floor, surely that's serious child neglect if not abuse. The only part of the programme that made me smile was at the end when he got his room thanks to his sister's initiative, he was so happy bless him. And it's so sad some children have to grow up like that :(
I'm hoping there is a happy ending to it all, the poor kids grow up and decide to work hard at school/college and get out of that environment and give themselves economic wellbeing, and the rich side see the error of their ways and decide to chill out and open their eyes a bit and stop being so judgemental.
There seemed to be either stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination coming from both sides and I wouldn't want to be like either - happily in the middle, surrounding myself with openminded, happy people.

HappyAlice said:
There seemed to be either stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination coming from both sides and I wouldn't want to be like either - happily in the middle, surrounding myself with openminded, happy people.

Me too I suppose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back