Reusable nappies

Littlerayray

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm starting to think about the nappy situation and am interested in finding out a bit more about reusable nappies. There are a few threads on here but nothing that starts me from the beginning, i.e. how do they work? what do you need? inner, cloth and waterproof outer... is this what you have? what gets washed etc etc etc?

So many questions! But if you have any information you can share that would be fab!

Thank you x

There are millions of different ones! Some you need an outer wrap and some are All In One (AIO). The best advice I can give is to trial a few different types to see how you get on, it might take a while to know what you like and dislike. I use mostly Bambino Mio pre-folds, they are brilliant and easy to wash and dry. I also like AIO's in lots of different styles. I put my nappies into a lidded bucket until wash day, usually every other day and also my washable wipes into another bucket of Napisan solution. Then they all go in together. Have a look online, there are loads of sites which will give you the low down. Washable nappies are ace!

Hi all

I'm starting to think about the nappy situation and am interested in finding out a bit more about reusable nappies. There are a few threads on here but nothing that starts me from the beginning, i.e. how do they work? what do you need? inner, cloth and waterproof outer... is this what you have? what gets washed etc etc etc?

So many questions! But if you have any information you can share that would be fab!

Thank you x
I was interested in them there is a lady http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/ brilliant site to learn all about the. Depending on where you live the council do trials and money off if you spend over a certain amount have a look. hope this helps =). x

It's so confusing until you start buying some and trying them out really! I've got to say that I don't particularly like my shaped nappies with waterproof wraps, as I find them too bulky. The best ones I have for quick drying are the mothercare smartnappy - I have about 12 inners and 5 outers and that will last Lizzie two days (ish). I then wash them overnight on the 2nd day, and use the other nappies in my 'collection' on the 3rd day while those dry.

I only have a 'horse' to dry them on indoors and they are fine - personally I think using a tumbledryer defeats the point for me as it would cost too much!

My all time favourite has to be the Totsbots easyfit v2. It's an all-in-one so it's as easy as a disposable to use, it's 'one-size' so will adjust to fit Lizzie as she gets bigger, and they come in lots of pretty patterns! The only downside is they maybe take a whole day and night to dry on the horse, and they are expensive.

I hardly ever use liners (they are the things like tissue paper), but I do use boosters, especially when I know Lizzie's due a big poo (!). I love the little lamb bamboo boosters, they are ultra absorbent and I've never had any leaks while using them.

Don't be scared to buy second hand (or 'preloved') - they will have been washed loads of times which means they will be nice and absorbent when you get them!

I was wondering about this too, just starting to think what would be the best option. Do you find them a lot of extra work? Do you just put the pooie bit down the toilet when you change a nappy? Also do they smell while you are waiting to wash them? I like the idea but wonder how practical they really are when your a busy mum running here and there, or if nurseries and child minders are ok with them. Thanks for you help x

www.cheeksandcherries.co.uk is fab for info and nappies. I get all mine from here, but to start with only brought preloved to figure out what was best. At my local breastfeeding group they have somebody come round once a month with cloth nappies so people can see them and possibly buy a few or loan them out. Could be worth asking your midwife about.

In regards to poop. This was my main worry when starting cloth but now Ive worked out out. Before theyre weaned, put a fleece liner in the nappy to catch what you can and just hold the nappy in the toilet and flush to try and get excess off. If your breastfeeding, then you could just not rinse and put them in the bucket and do a rinse in the washing machine before you wash. Once your weaning, Id suggest a fleece liner and a disposable liner (totsbots liner are really nice and soft) and they catch most of the poop so you can just throw it away. They also don't smell because theyre in a sealed bucket. I just got a cheap one from a pound shop, it doesnt need to be an actual 'nappy bucket'.

I dont find it extra work at all, it just means you do about 2/3 extra washes a week. I find stuffing and sorting the nappies quite relaxing :blush: When I sent my LO to nursery they had no problems with them. I just had to show them how they worked (which wasnt difficult seeing as theyre all-in-ones with velco) and provided a wetbag for them :)

Thanks Melio. I did look on that website, just seems so many to chose from when you haven't got a clue about them! I did find out that our local area do sample packs so might contact them for a pack. Do you buy one size or bigger ones as the get bigger? Know I still have a long time to think about these things but I thought I might as well start researching things I would like and need for the baby now so I can weigh up all the options!

I buy one size nappies now as shes bigger but when she was little I brought sized. I cant remember when I started researching it all but I now it took me a blooming long time to understand it all. I didnt understand it all though until I started using them and its only in the last 2 months that I feel completly confident with them.

I'm going to be using cloth nappies from birth - it's taken me a few months to get my head around all the types etc and I'm still learning too! Take a look at clothnappytree (google it) for different types of nappies and how to use them. They also have a buy/sell section. Most of my stash is second hand as it works out so much cheaper :)

My newborn stash consists of: Tots Bots Teenyfits, Tots Bots Bamboozle Stretchies, Itti Bitti D'Lish, Bambooty Easy Dry and various wraps. My BTP (Birth To Potty) stash has more brands as well as the above, like: BumGenius, Blueberry, Close Parent & WeeHuggers.

Weenotions are also fab if you want a personalised nappy. The sites a bit baffling at first and it took me along time to figure it all out. Worth a look though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back