Refusing induction for time being - any experiences?

nutcase109

Reaction score
Hi girls, Im booked in for monitoring and induction the day after tomorrow, but if all is well at monitoring and baby is happy and healthy and not in distress or running out of fluid etc, then I plan to decline induction for a few more days, to see if labour will occur naturally.

Have any of you done this, or had any experience of friends going overdue beyond induction?

My concerns are that by being induced, it may cause the baby and myself more distress than the waiting to pop. Ive heard that contractions can be super intense if induced, and worry about spiralling out of control with interventions galore. My original plan that Im still holding out some hope for is a waterbirth at home.

Any advice or soundbites at all would be greatly appreciated! Im going out of my mind sometimes! xx

I haven't refused induction but I'm planning on holding out as long as possible this time! I was induced at +11 with Lucy and ended up with complications which led to emergency c-section. I have no idea if the induction contributed or not but I have decided to hold out as long as I can so long as both me and baby are happy and healthy!

I mentioned this to my midwife and all she said was that I'd have to be closely monitored the more overdue I went but that as long as there is nothing wrong then she can't see it being a problem.

I'm interested to see how it goes for you! Hope you get your waterbirth!

The reason they'll give you for not wanting you to go too much over is that the placenta won't work as well as it did if you go majorly overdue. I assume they'll check all this when they're monitoring you anyway. They can't MAKE you be induced nor can they MAKE you go into hospital so in the end it's up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I was induced (but wasn't overdue) and although there were a few complications I ended up having a normal delivery on just G&A with no interventions. The contractions were close together and intense (no build up as with a normal labour) but then I had no basis for comparison so I just got on with it.

You can decline the induction, they cannot make you have one. If you do so they will monitor you regularly and if any problems present they will ask you to reconsider. Base your decision on an informed opinion. Doctors tend to only give a medical based worst case scenario I have found. Mostly as has been said its to do with the placenta not working as well. But they can monitor that for you :)

I declined any talk of induction with my consultant at my growth scan at 37 weeks and told them I'd not keep the appointment at 41 weeks and that I had no wish to be induced unless there was a genuine medical need to and my baby or I were at risk.

I didn't go overdue (my scan and Doctors dating) by more than a few days but when LO was born my MW's first words were 'That's a very full term baby' :shock: I wasn't surprised to tell the truth as by my dates (I have a short cycle) I was almost 2 weeks overdue :lol: Might also explain the bigger baby.

Anyways, MW told me a lady who had declined induction and had her home birth quite recently. She and baby were fine and she was monitored at hospital. IIRC she gave birth at 42 weeks and a fair few days.

FWIW even if you get to 42 weeks the dates can be out a little so LO may not even be that overdue.

If you are both well and want to then wait and see if you go into labour naturally. Even if you have to deliver in hospital, you can have a birth plan for it and labour in water and so on.

Have a talk with your MW also. If you've had a good pregnancy and are still coping now hopefully she will support your decision. I know my MW was very supportive of me regarding things but was also honest and told me how it was on occasion. I always appreciated her candour :lol: If I had gone overdue and declined induction she would have kept a close eye on me also.

You've read the Homebirth site on being overdue and what your options are and what can occur etc? Have you had a sweep yet? Might be worth giving that a go (although it is considered a form of induction but drug free). Also you can still have a home birth if you want one, you just will have to be prepared to go to bat for it. Check out the Homebirth site and go to the 'You can't have a homebirth...' and click the overdue link (that site really needs a revamp, who works in frames anymore and has the url's unchanged so linking to a direct section is not doable).

End of the day its what you feel comfortable doing if overdue past 42 weeks. If you feel that regular monitoring etc is ok and wish to be left a bit longer then do so. If you don't then consider induction and prepare yourself for it.

Really hoping you get your homebirth and that LO arrives naturally :hug: :hug: But if not don't be disappointed, your baby will be in your arms and how will hopefully become a distant memory. :hug: :hug:

I refused induction.. they wanted to induce me at 38 weeks due to size, liquid and GD, but I discussed it well in advance that as long as the baby was healthy, I wouldn't have an induction... I felt the risk was too much in my circumstances and I went naturally a week later... Its entirely up to you if you want to be induced... If you think you can wait and bubs is doing good... then wait... but I discussed the subject with my consultant and MW beforehand and at great length. :D

I got to 42 weeks both pregnancies and was then induced. I didn't refuse the inductions because I was measuring big both times.
Ended up with DD 10lbs 10oz and DS 10lbz 1oz so it's a good job I didn't refuse the inductions lol

I would personally decline the induction too, and wait until the 14days have passed past your EDD, but its a very personal choice and I think you should listen to the medical advice given then make an informed choice :hug:

I didn't go overdue but my waters broke on the Tuesday evening and Isaac still wasn't here by the Friday evening, despite my getting to 7cm dilated at the last check, but after hospital admission everything slowed right down anyway, I gave my body and Isaac the chance to arrive naturally, I did wait over 70hrs (pregnant head won't let me remember correct times :lol: ) before accepting intervention through drip induction.

After induction I felt the contractions change dramatically, the definitely became too much which lead to an epidural which lead to a forceps and episiotimy delivery, although Isaac was also back to back and sideways, which added to the delivery, but I can sympathize with your unease about having the drip, I would have to agree :hug:

The staff were all very understanding and gave me my options and told me what and how things would occur, but ultimately the decision is yours, so don't feel that because they believe its best to be induced, that it is, as often babies can get a shifty on before intervention and I really hope for you that LO does and you don't have to be induced in any
way.

Very, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

On a seperate note, all hospitals have different protocols so it might be worth you looking at the NICE website as their guidelines can be used for your situation if you feel pressured into anything :hug:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/index.j ... le&o=28990

I wish i had declined. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either and i ended up with a c-sec (if you can be bothered to trawl back - check out my birth story) - its your body, do what your feel is right for you and bubs :hug:

I think its great that you've waited, I hope you start labour really, really soon!

I also want a home birth and will do the same as you if I go over.

Prayers for your natural birth :pray: :pray: :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maegan
Back