Reflux question......need help before doctors appoint.

NIE

Reaction score
Hi,

My DS has been on Gaviscon Infant for several weeks now and he is now taking 8 oz bottles so I am using 2 doses in each feed.

His reflux has been getting slowly worse and has been really terrible since having a cold.

Gaviscon doesn't seem to be working any more. Should I ask the doctor for something different/extra to give him? or is it possible that his reflux has only got worse because of his cold.

Please can I have your experiences as I feel that I keep getting fobed off by my GP, and it's annoying me seeing my son being so sick all the time.

Thanks. xxx

I think you should put your foot down with your doctor and really stress how your little boy is struggling and ask for something else aswell as the Gaviscon.

Tom had silent reflux so wasn't sick with it but had all the other symptoms. When I suggested to my GP that he had it, she said it was 'unlikely as it's very rare'. I had to keep on and on at her and in the end I insisted on a referral. We got referred to a paediatrician who agreed it was silent reflux and then gave us some proper medication to help.

Tom was on Gaviscon, Ranitidine and Domperidone.

Also, sometimes persistent colds/blocked or runny noses/recurring coughs and colds/coughing can all be signs of reflux too so maybe the reflux is aggravating the cold if you see what I mean. Worth mentioning that to your GP too.

BTW, here's a link to our lovely reflux support thread so you know you're not alone!

Lucyx

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=60117

Yes, sorry, definitely prop cot up to 30degrees if you're not already. I just put books underneath.
Also, try to hold him upright for at least 20 mins after each feed.
Lucyx

I'm quite upset as I found out yesterday that Adam has lost 2oz because he has had the cold and been really quite sick.

He has never lost any weight since he was born, so I am feeling really bad for him. xxx

Nie, I've jsut seen your post. So sorry to hear that Gaviscon isn't working :( . And also that your little one is losing weight :cry: Have you seen your GP yet?

GP said that as he has the cold, it will make his reflux much worse. I am still giving him Gaviscon and the GP didn't want him to have anything else as he has never lost any weight (apart from last week) and is thriving.

I will get him weighed again on Tuesday and if he has lost more weight then I will be seeing the doctor again.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back