Really need some advice girls..

sunshine_gal

Reaction score
Well i was moaning to you lot last week about my bump and about people saying that im HUGE!

Well i had a midwife appointment on tuesday and she told me that i am putting on too much weight too quickly and i should start walking an hour a day every day and to stop eating too much bread and sweets.. I have to this date put on 1 stone and 3 pounds, since my last appointment 5 weeks ago i'd put on 5 pounds and for about 2 1/2 months now i've been swimmig 3 times a week.. she measured me and said that the baby was BIG he measured about 28 weeks when it should only of been 26 weeks. I came out of the office feeling quite gutted, i didn't think i'd put on that much and now im even more obsessed about my weight.. so unfair!

Today i had my 27 week scan (i live in spain and they do monthly'ish scans here) and the guy scanning me told me that my baby was a larger than average baby at this stage and to stop eating too much.. f-fsake!

How many more times do i need to tell people, im not eating much, i dont snack, i have 2 weetabix in the morning a ham salad sandwich for lunch and whatever for tea, my husband is about 6ft 1 and about 17 stone so surly his size might be why my baby is big, im only 5ft 3 and am now in size 12 maternity!

Feel really down and pissed off and it feels like they are telling me because of what im eating my baby is already fat! :(

Firstly 2cm's bigger than you should be is nothing to worry about - my midwife told me today that 2 cms too big or 2cms too small is no concern at all.....

Secondly, the Spanish doctors etc will be comparing you to all the small Spanish ladies....when I had my first doctors appointment I was living in France and when he weighed me he looked so shocked - I was 11.5 stone, but then Im also 5.11" tall.....nearly double the size of the average person living in Normandy :D

Im currently having isues too.......I have put on plenty of weight, nearly 2 stone so far, yet my baby is apparently 4cms smaller than he should be - although everyone tells me that the fundal height measurements are so inaccurate (Im being sent for a growth scan to assess the exact situation).

Dont worry hun (she says whilst trying not to worry too much herself) :hug:

Do you think thats what it is then, i am only 5ft 3, was 10stone 3 as i aready put on over a stone when i gave up smoking and then got pregnant and now am 11.6.. Lee is 17stone 10 and 6ft 1 so i keep thinking it because he's so big and im so small, not because i eat morning to night...

Let me know how you get on.. and thanks...x

I agree with what elliebelle said, i really wouldn't get yourself upset about it, like you said your hubby is a big guy and this baby probably takes after daddy!

This is your anti natal care, just because your baby isn't conforming to their tables you shouldn't be made to feel like you do!

As for your weight gain i doubt its more than most women, every pregnancy is different, i was huge with my last babies and this time i feel much smaller and have hardly put any weight on, but saying that it could all come at the end!

Just stand strong with your midwife and tell her that you are not concerned, as long as your baby is happy and you feel healthy enough then you have no reason to feel upset.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Well hun the suggestions are you should put on between 25 and 30 poounds i think if your BMI is normal. If you check the calculator attached with a starting weight of 143 pounds at 63 inches tall at week 26 which i think your ticker says you are, a normal weight gain would be an extra 17 pounds which is 1 stone 3 so you are about normal and on your way to putting on 30 pounds which again is normal. hope that helps, check it out hun and remember, everyone is different as well, dont let them get you down as it really doesnt sound right to me hwo they can be so nasty!!!

http://www.indiacurry.com/women/pregcalc.htm

I was weighed at my booking in which i think is common practice so they can see if your BMI is in the 'normal' range but since then i haven't been wieghed at any of my appointments and i haven't weighed myself for about 2 months or more.

I think the practice back here in the UK has changed so that most midwives and docs won't even weigh expecting mums anymore (probably will if they were majorly over or under beforehand to monitor you better i recon, but thats just guessing). I think they don't do it now precisely to avoid the feelings you now have, that you will now naturally worry about. It's defo because every woman is different and so hard to say what's right or wrong.

Living in Spain you obvioulsy do get weighed and they take it more seriously, but I think as the other ladies have said, try not to get too hung up on it, everybody is different. :hug:

Hi Jodie, Hope your well chick.

Well i put on 4 3/4 stone with DD!!! I cant say anyone said anything like that to me all the time i was pregnant. I mean i was aware that i was turning into a complete heffer and there is no excuse to put on that much weight but i did eat for England as they say!!! :oops:

Average is 1.5 - 2 st but most people put on more than this and some people carry a lot of water. I wouldnt take any notice about what the doctors are saying over there, i think they are all crap in Spain anyway and they are probably comparing you to some 4ft tall stick-insect-like spanish girl who are all size 4 anyway!

My doctors never really commented on my weight, i think as long as the baby is healthy then what does it matter. I lost all the baby weight after a few months anyway and neither of us suffered for my "extra few STONE!" :rotfl:

Ignore them :hug: :hug: :hug:

I asked the Doctor when I saw her what caused a big baby and she said 100% genes - nothing at all to do with diet so dont worry one bit also I remember someone on here saying in Spain they think all babies over 71/2 lbs are big and that is on the small side now for the UK. Also your weight gain is perfect for your stage so just ignore them and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back