Re-usable nappies! Thinking of trying, advice please?

poppy160

Reaction score
I never really thought of using re-usable nappies..I've just started to feel really bad about how many disposable nappies we go through and what it's doing to the environment. Apart from recycling, washing at 30 degrees and OH sometimes taking the train to work instead of driving, I feel we aren't doing enough to reduce our carbon footprint :(
How do the nappies work? Also, when I worked with kids one child wore a re-usable nappy, it was too long ago to remember how it worked but what I do remember was the smell..it smelled very strongly of ammonia? Do they all smell like that?
Any pro's and con's will be really appreciated :D Thanks!

Hi poppy,

I never notice an amonia smell. I try to dry mine outside if I can - not sure if that makes a difference?

I searched for an old thread I'd replied to as I'd written a big long explanation of all the types of reusable nappies - have a read of this.

I started using them when DD was 1 month old after using Nature's Babycare eco disposable nappies before then and have never looked back - I love reusables! However if you don't fancy them or can't afford the £150+ it may take you to stock up on the first size, then you could try using nappies like these or these? I like both these brands, but find Nature's Babycare easier to find (Boots, Mothercare, Sainsburys, big Co-ops).

I'm not sure how big your daughter is just now, but since she's probably growing at a rate of knots, I'd recommend getting a birth to potty pack or going straight to size 2 (18-20lbs+) and just folding them to fit rather than having to buy two sizes when she likely won't be in the first size that long - my DD is just growing out of her size 1s but she's quite small and she's just going to have to wait until we've saved up for her size 2's!

I hope this helps - please ask anything else below.

Valentine Xxx

im using a mixture of both to cut the costs of disposables

i find the disposables are more absorbant and keep her dry even when she's dirty, so i use them if it wont be easy to change her (like going out) and for the night,. If i change her out, its easy to throw away a disposable and the clean nappies take up less space in a bag

i use the washables the rest of the day where i can leap to attention and change her straight away because when she dirties them she screams to be changed!

it has made a difference because my disposable packs last ages now

Hi Poppy
I get my nappies from a lady in Dartington nr Totnes. She's really helpful and has you over for a cup of coffee while you discuss your criteria - ours was that they were absorbant, easy to use and as slimline as possible and we were advised their version of Bamboozles (which are fab!). She works for Lollipop nappies so if you're interested, look her them up on the web (she's called heidi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back