• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Questions, questions, questions!!

first-timerhello

Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife is 7 weeks 3 days preggers and we have a few questions some of you lovely decent peeps can answer?

1. When does she usually get the blood test? and what does it test for?
2. The only contact we have had with our GP surgery is to get a urine test to confirm the pregnancy. We have an appointment in a week for an "antinatal class"... is this a class full of other people?? Or just one on one? dunno what to expect!
3. This is our first child, so we are very nervous as my sis had an eptopic pregnancy and my mum/wife mum had miscarriages... can you get scans on the NHS earlier on the NHS or would we have to goto a private clinic? are we worrying toooo much? lol
4. When do you normally tell people? We havnt told anyone at all. We were going to wait until the first scan at 12 weeks.

Sorry for the long first post lol

Thanksssss

:)

Last edited:
Hi, welcome and congratulations :)

1. Okay, everyone is different but I had my blood tests done at 9 weeks at my booking in app (With my doctor getting all details ready for the journey ahead:)) They offer to test you for HIV, Hepatitis, Rubella, Sphylis and also to check the iron and sugar in blood.. As far as I know it is completly up to your OH on which tests she would like to do..

2. It is quite common for this to be the only contact you have with your GP until your wife is a bit further along, then she will have her booking in app (see above:lol:) The only time there would be more contact is if you are experiencing pains, bleeding, or have had pervious problems in early pregnancy.. I would say this will be a one on one.. Ante natal classes dont usually start until you are well into your third trimester

3. Again everyone is different, I had a scan before I even seen my doctor due to cramping @ 6 weeks, when I then went to my doctor (booking in app) this is when I got my first scheduled scan, which is usually for around 12 weeks.. Depending on how busy it is, I got mine at 14+3.. The booking in app with the doc really is the thing that gets the ball rolling :)

4. It's completly up to you, I told my sister right away, and told mummy and daddy and a few close friends when I was around 7-8 weeks.. I didn't let it completly out of the bag until I was 10 weeks (Most people wait until 12-ish weeks as once you have reached that stage you are out of the "danger zone")

Hope I have helped you a bit, good luck and keep us posted

Last edited:
Hello! Congratualtions on making a baby!!

My experience is different to FebMum's;

1. I am having all my blood tests at the same time as my first scan, which has been arranged for towards the end of my 11th week. They wont just draw blood, they will talk your OH through each individual test and get her consent to do them. If she wants she can refuse any blood tests at all, although this wouldnt do much for your anxiety levels!! I haven't had an antenatal class appointment, that seems a little early. I saw my GP after I had a positive home test who referred me to the midwife. Then I had a letter about 3 weeks later with a booking in appointment at my home. At the appointment there were lots of questions, she took my blood pressure and tested my urine for protien, infection and sugar. Then she rang the hosptial and arranged the scan there and then.

2 The NHS won't scan you earlier than your arranged scan just because you are anxious, but if your OH has and pain or spotting, even though can be very normal, if you go to A&E they would do a quick scan. If your OH has an eptopic I would imagine she would have some symptoms and then the best advice is to go straight to A&E even if you are fussing over nothing its better safe than sorry! You can pay for private scans though, not sure how that works.

3. We have told our immediate family and close friends. We plan to tell the rest of the world after we have had a scan, we will also be around 12 weeks by then so chances are we will be feeling more confident. The way I looked at it, was if, heaven forbid, something went wrong, who would I be crying on the shoulder of and who would I rather didnt know. If you're likely to cry on their shoulder you may aswell tell them youre pregnant, if you'd find that conversation awkward with them, then I havent told them until Im in the safe zone!

Good luck, hope this helps! x

I was given a pack when I went to my doctors, it had consent forms that I had to sign that covered:

Full Blood Count
Syphillis
Rubella
Haemoglobinopathies
NT plus
Blood Group & Rhesus Factor
Hepatitis B
HIV
Other Test (anyone what that one is?! Must remember to ask the m/w on Tuesday!)
Triple Test

I was also given a 'timeline' that says first appt with m/w at 8 weeks (although I will be 9+3) on Tuesday when I go and the bloods are taken at 10 weeks, so I'm hoping they will just do them on Tuesday so I don't have to go back later in the week...

I haven't asked about scans but after asking friends with babies, those that had scans earlier than 12 weeks either went private or had a problem (one had severe bleeding, and one had severe abdo pain + spotting). The NHS just doesn't have the resource to scan when people want I guess. My cousin had a private 3D scan at 16 weeks and the images are amazing, she has a DVD showing the baby blowing bubbles and at one point it looks like it's waving which was a little weird to say the least! Amazing stuff though, she watches it all the time.

We told our families over Christmas at 8 weeks - we won't be telling "general" friends until 12 weeks but my best friend knows (there's no way I could keep that one quiet!)

I hope all goes well with the pregnancy, let us know!

x

Hi and Welcome to the pf,

I think the ladies have answered your questions. Your first app with MW should be your booking in app and they will tell you eveything you need to know - it usually takes an hour or more. First scans in most places are 12 weeks, unless you have problems.

Wishing you all the best and a smooth 9 months

Hey all,

Thank you so much for all your messages!

My wife is now 7 weeks 4 days and we tried to find a heart rate today using a doppler to make sure everything was ok. Couldnt find anything though but my wife didnt have a full bladder so that could be something to do with it hopefully. Will try again later.... My wife has been very sickly and suffered alot from nausea.

Thanks again

;-)

full bladder is best for the scan at 12 weeks but i dont think it makes any dif with a doppler prob wont find anything till about 10 -15 weeks as baby is small. lots of bloods will be taken during pregnancy its a pain but everything will be chacked i only seen my doctor once when i was pregnant both times then midwife all the way through, you wont be able to get an early scan unless there is bleeding ect . . . and if she has only a little bit of blood thats normal too so they wont scan for that as they dont go on family history for scans just individual. you could tell people when you want you could look at it two ways 12 weeks is the safe period or do you want to share your excitment earlier?

Is your wife taking folic acid? (im sure you already know that tho) do you know the foods to avoid and if the sickness gets too bad the doctor can give her something for it have a happy healthy nine months x

Yep she has been taking her folic acid lol

going to book up for an early preg scan for sat. £75... I have emailed them as they quote 10-16 weeks and my wife will b 8 weeks by the weekend.

Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated...

good luck at you scan let us know how it all goes you will see a black sac and a little heart beat in baby i had an early scan at 7 weeks with issabelle it looked like a tiny little prawn with a heart beat nicest thing ever!!!! x x x

It's funny that u have replied to this thread as we said a few days ago we like the name evie. How weird lol

lol i forgot about that - yes it a good name i shall agree with you there! :rotfl:

It's unlikely you'll get a heartbeat before 9 weeks on a doppler so dont panic just yet. Good luck with the early scan :)

Babies heart starts beating during week 5 so by week 8 you should see a nice clear heart beat with an u/s

i got nice clear heart beats on my early scans you see like a little flicker its nice :)

You should get one at 8 weeks. Private scanning places dont like to see you too soon in case they cant pick one up.

Early preg scan booked for a week today. £100... Abit more expensive but this place only has consultants that do the scanning, which has to be good!

ooow good luck!!! very exciting you wont be able to see much as its early but it will melt your hreat anyway seeing the little heart flickering!! pics too!!! should do for £!00 lol :) x x x

ooow good luck!!! very exciting you wont be able to see much as its early but it will melt your hreat anyway seeing the little heart flickering!! pics too!!! should do for £!00 lol :) x x x

Yeh thanks. Just fingers crossed everything os ok. We just have to brace ourselves for the chance it's not.... Nervous cos it's our first time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back