Question for unmarried mums and mums-to-be....?

millie took my boyf's surname, but he changed it by deed poll just before she was born, so its like we're starting a brand new name for our new family :) the new baby will have his name too- and hopefully i will join them in a few years when we get married!

oh yes i forgot to say, when we got millie registered the lady told me if we ever get married we would have to re-register our children, the certificate would be invalid or something??!! which i will do, dont like the idea of me not being legally recognised as my childrens' mother!

Hi we wernt married when we had our daughter, I wasnt having her have a different surname to me, it just didnt feel right, so she had mine but had her fathers as her second middle name.

We got married when she was 2 and a half years old and to change her name we had to surrender her original birth certificate, show our wedding certificate and reregister her with her new surname, but they said that the only reason we could do it this was he was on her birth certificate as her father when she was born, if not we would have to assume the name for 2 years for her then apply to have it changed. But that is Scots law which may be different to English law.

Like a couple of the others, we're married but I didn't change my name.

The baby will have DH's surname. There are limits even to my feminism!

Though we had a funny moment over the weekend - DH and I took DH's parents to stay with mine, and at one point we were asked about names. I said that a particular name wouldn't go with P- (DH's surname), and my mother looked surprised, then laughed and said 'I'd forgotten the baby would be a P-, and not a B- (my name)'! You can imagine how well that went down with the in-laws... :lol:

I think it depends entirely on your relationship. B/c we're married, I think it would be rather odd if the children didn't have my husband's name - but apart from that, I am absolutely secure in my relationship to any children I have and the different name thing doesn't bother me at all. I can understand that DH would feel excluded if they had my name, and naming is a kind of ownership after all (the reason I didn't take DH's name when we married). By giving a child a particular surname you're affirming a relationship between the child and the parent with that surname.

She has my name, and i'm SO glad i did it that way, her name will change with mine in July when we get married. My OH's brother has a baby and they were very happy at the time but 18 months down the line they're very over and baby has his surname, mum looks a bit funny walking around with a baby with a different name to her, can you imagine having to explain that you're babies mum when you take them places (walk-in-centre for example) OH's brother has now changed his name so baby shares a name with no-one, plus mum needs his permission to change babies name.

I'm engaged to OH, so Callum has his surname. We did think about giving him my surname as a middle name, so there was always a written connection if we didn't get married, should explain I have been engaged for nearly 5 years!!! In the end we gave Callum a middle name that appears frequently on my side of family. The combination of our surnames doesn't really work, so we decided against that.

Ours is going to have both surnames, purely for the fact that I want my name in there somewhere!

If me and my boyfriend get married then I imagine we will all change to my partner's surname...Plus we are a family of girls and there are no boys to carry the name on, so I'd like it carried on somehow if possible. BUT if our baby is a girl then it won't get carried on anyway if she gets married...

Definitely both until we can all have the same name...

x x x

Little one is going to have Kevs surname. I hate my surname so I didnt really think twice about it. My hints at engagement are now so blatant and still nothing :shakehead:

I'm unmarried and the baba will have OH's name, regardless of whether we get married in the future or not.

deleted - cause it contained personal details

Last edited:
Frog99 said:
also forgot to mention that as we'll be double barrelling surname, the baby isn't being given a middle name.
Otherwise I just think it'll be too long

Damn right...i regret double barreling Aaliyahs surname and giving her a middle name. Aaliyah-Jade C--- S-------- bit long...we just use Aaliyah S-------- now as i'm ment to be getting married next year :shock:

me and OH were discussing this on the way to the registry office lol

cass has got my surname because the registrar said that its preferable for baby to have the mothers surname as when/if you get married to the babies father you can change theirs to his but you cant change it from his to yours. its basically for if you split up i think.

although i think it would have all been different had cass been a boy as hes the only one to carry on his surname :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back