question for succesful vbac mums with regards to monitoring?

Fly

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Am hoping someone can set my mind at rest a bit..

I'm hopin to have this baby vaginally but having listened to everything teh consultant had to say i decided to stick to my guns and hold out for a birth at the midwife unit in the town where i live as opposed to a closely monitored vbac at the large constultant hospital 15 miles away...

Am just wanting some reassurance please from any mums who have had a successful vbac and who did it without all this close monitoring the consultant was talking about. I have read an article now which explains why they like to do constant uterine and fetal monitoring during a vbac but I really don't want to restrict myself to a largely inactive labour cos of all that monitoring.. on the offchance (0.5%) of uterine rupture...

Thanks for your thoughts
Sarah xxx

I'm also hoping for a vbac but I don't have an appointment with the consultant till 35 weeks so I don't really know what they'll be wanting to do in terms of monitoring. There hasn't been any suggestion of being restricted etc. but then there hasn't been much talk in general.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has had a vbac without being tied to a monitor!

Hiya Bex n Becks :hug:

I asked a more long winded question specifically directed at a doula and midwives that I know on another forum.. am sure my friend Lyndsey won't mind me pming you both her response - she's a Doula and is passionate about the idea of taking back birth :)

One of the midwives added that it would be important to make sure that the midwives in attendance are confident at dealing with vbacs. She said alot of midwives balk at the idea cos they are scared and haven't had proof beyond the scary statistics.. luckily this particular midwife did her training at the unit where i am hoping to birth, so she's actually told me exactley who would be the best midwives to attend me as she knows that they have confidently attended vbacs in the past.. fortunatley the couple she mentioned are my favourite two midwives :D :pray: they on duty when little man comes lol :D

The message I am getting, which is the one that I feel in my heart, is that, YES there are risks associated wtih Vbac but there are higher risks associated with repeat c-sections. I personally wanna give my body the chance to vbac n if we can't do it then so be it but i wanna give it my best shot. So I now feel empowered that i have declined this close monitoring the consultant recommended and have stuck to my guns about the birthing centre! The way I feel is this... If I do have a succesful vbac then our next baby (yes i know i know still duffed up with this one and already plannin number 3 :rotfl: ) will have an even better chance of a vaginal delivery and i will have less likelihood of needing a hysterectomy - a risk that repeat subsequent c-sections carries, that for me personally, far outweighs the potential risks of attempting a vbac! The other clear point about all of this is that our health authority does not allow the use of any synthetic induction drugs or augmentation drugs whilst in labour for mums attempting vbac.. that is a massive relief to me!!!

So for other women going through this too I'd say that you need to check out your authority's policy on this use of synthetic drugs first and foremost.. and then do your research as to which midwives and where are prepared to support you through an active vbac...

Goodluck ladies.. I will keep you posted as to how I get on :) Got growth scan and another consultant appointment in 3 weeks :)

Cheers for the links hun.. i'd read the top and bottom one but not the middle two so goin off to have a read now :)

loadsa love Sarah xxxx

I had a vbac with my daughter 4 weeks ago and to be honest I didn't really notice them monitoring me too much. It was only in full blown labour they wanted to check the babies heart rate and they attatched a clip to her head (which came off twice) and I could still stand up with it if I wanted too. I prefered to be on the bed though. I was worried about rupturing so was really pleased to be able to see the babies heart rate and it was reassuring having a midwife with me every step of the way.

Thanks for sharing your experience hun xxx

I had a vbac with Jordan 8yrs ago and as far as I'm aware I wasn't monitored :think:

Thanks for that kat...a reflection maybe of our increasingly "american" attitude towards prevention of litigation paranoia over recent years? xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back