Question about the name Rose

Mrs_Jay

Reaction score
Now i love the name Rose if it was a girl. but i really dont like Rosie :?
But i dont think i could prevent people from shortening it to that ... any thoughts?

Hmm Im quite the same? Rose is beautiful, but Im not as keen on Rosie?
The only thing you could do would be to keep correcting people if they call her Rosie!?
My mam is called Deborah! She doesnt mind Deb but hates Debbie lol so she just corrects people who call her Debbie!
LOL But everyone seems to want to call her Debbie!! :lol:

lea m said:
Hmm Im quite the same? Rose is beautiful, but Im not as keen on Rosie?
The only thing you could do would be to keep correcting people if they call her Rosie!?
My mam is called Deborah! She doesnt mind Deb but hates Debbie lol so she just corrects people who call her Debbie!
LOL But everyone seems to want to call her Debbie!! :lol:

I can sympathise with your mum.

Everyone calls me "Becky" by default and I hate it. I'm more of a Bex, but I can manage Becca, Rebecca and basically anything else but NOT Becky. Which means I have to correct nearly everyone I meet and I feel like a real arsey cow.

Probably best to avoid names that you don't like alternative versions of - particularly if it's likely they're going to be used.

FWIW I think Rose is a gorgeous name :cheer:

i love the name Rose, its on my list lol

I'm one of those annoying people who shorten names to whatever i feel like and stick to it.

Sorry debecca but i worked with a girl who like to be called becka, and i spent the entire year i worked there calling her Becky! She never once corrected me though :?

I even find it hard in work now co there's two Becky's one spelt with an I and one with a Y, i call the one with an I becky the one with out rebecca, its how i know them appart, i shouldnt really be allowed to do this until i get very old lol,

debecca said:
Everyone calls me "Becky" by default and I hate it. I'm more of a Bex, but I can manage Becca, Rebecca and basically anything else but NOT Becky. Which means I have to correct nearly everyone I meet and I feel like a real arsey cow.

LOL I'll do you a swap - I'm definitely a Becky but don't like Becks or Bex or Becca! Somehow people seem to think its ok to take the name you call yourself and change it!

I like the name Rose but I don't think you can avoid people changing it to Rosie - plus your daughter might end up preferring it herself.

abcd1234 said:
I'm one of those annoying people who shorten names to whatever i feel like and stick to it.

I'd just ignore you! :shakehead:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

inforabumpyride said:
abcd1234 said:

I'd just ignore you! :shakehead:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LOL :rotfl: well if you tell me what you wanna be called i can try, but no-one ever does, they just let me call them the wrong things!!!

I love the name Rose think its top of my list just now.
As for shortening names when Cameron was born everybody said to me that he would end up Cammy , i was adamant this would not happen.
Nowadays its me and Oh who are the main users of Cammy, Cam, Camman, and camster infact everything except Cameron.

If the name is Rose then Rosie would be making it longer. Usually people make names shorter, so by starting off with Rose you can't really go any shorter. It would be her name and I can't see people really calling her Rosie from Rose tbh.

I don't consider Rosie to be a pet form of Rose fwiw. Its a pet form of Rosemary.

I know both a Rose and Rosie and never call Rose Rosie. She is Rose and thats it.

My nan was called Rose but everyone called her Rosie... Its like my mate jade gets called jadey as a nickname even tho its longer lol

I love the name rose and the name rosie..( My neice was called rosie after my nan :D )

Nic'n'Keeley said:
Its like my mate jade gets called jadey as a nickname even tho its longer lol

I hate it! I still get called Jadey Wadey! :roll:

I think it's fine to remind people her name is Rose if they call her Rosie.

I know one or two of my friends who are certain to shorten whatever name give my child (I have watched them do this recently with another friend's baby) and I intend to correct them.

I like Rose and Rosie. If someone was to Introduce them self as Rose then I would call them that or if someone called their child Rose I would call them Rose. I knew a little girl called Katie and she would never ever let anyone call her Kate she was taught her name was Katie and thats what she should be called nothing different she would correct people straight away and she was only 3! :)

I am Nicola but I always call myself Nicki but get called alsorts because I don't really mind I would be more likely to correct someone if they kept calling me Nicola all the time!!! I only let my parents and familly call me Nicola :oops: I don't like it because It sounds like I'm getting told off when other people call me Nicola instead of Nicki.

nickilubs said:
It sounds like I'm getting told off when other people call me Nicola instead of Nicki.

Hee hee I always feel like that when someone calls me Leanne and not Lea!! :lol:

Sherlock said:
If the name is Rose then Rosie would be making it longer. Usually people make names shorter, so by starting off with Rose you can't really go any shorter. It would be her name and I can't see people really calling her Rosie from Rose tbh.

I don't consider Rosie to be a pet form of Rose fwiw. Its a pet form of Rosemary.

I know both a Rose and Rosie and never call Rose Rosie. She is Rose and thats it.
i see your point and i think it should be like that too. but i know that people do it, becoz my son's name is Jack but people try to call him Jackie :x which i HATE. and am forever correcting them, so it seems people can lengthen names to make them a pet name as well :roll:

but i think ive managed to put myself off it now coz it would drive me potty lol.

you just need to stop people changing it hun i will NOT let anyone alter Hannahs, i have had ann and annie and i tell them straight away and in no uncertain terms and now no one even tries

i dont quite get how people would shorten it to rosie as that makes it longer i think people will find rose a lot easier to say then rosie. my names Rosanna which my mum shortened to rosie which most of my friends shortened to rose lol but i cant see a rose being made into rosie.

_Rosie_ said:
i dont quite get how people would shorten it to rosie as that makes it longer i think people will find rose a lot easier to say then rosie. my names Rosanna which my mum shortened to rosie which most of my friends shortened to rose lol but i cant see a rose being made into rosie.
i think its coz people seem to like to make names more cutesy when they are baby's coz ppl try to call my son Jackie when he is Jack which is longer also x

Ah i get ya! yeh that would annoy me too. Rose makes a nice middle name maybe you could have it as a middle name rather then a first name then it wouldnt get made into rosie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back