Query about midwife vistits & internals (sorry if TMI) :

Little miss pink

Reaction score
Hi everyone :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Up until now my midwife appointments have only consisted of a urine test general chat about issues and regular blood pressure and uterus height test. But what i was wondering is at what stage do you start potentially having internal examination etc. As i'd hate to be 'caught out' if you now what i mean having not trimmed and waxed etc.

Also at what stage do they start to check the babies position..... :think: :think: :think:

If anyone knows and could give me a heads up that wuold be great. I'd me mortified if she asked and i wasn't prepared :oops: :oops: :oops:

LMP x

well i never had any internals with my DS until i was in labour.

and the babys positions was being checked from about 32 weeks ish for me.

i dont think the internals would differ between areas but the position of baby might be abit earlier with some midwives.

Hope i helped. :D

I didn't have any internals with Jacob until I went to hospital in labour. The babies position was checked from about 30 weeks I think, maybe even 28 weeks I can't really remember hun.

Xxx

I was told that they try to avoid internals as they can increase the chance of infection so they will only perform one if they feel its needed.

I also didn't have any until I was being induced and that was just to insert the pessary.

i didnt have an internal until my waters broke :)

Ooooohhh this is good news!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Other than sweeps to induce you and checks on dilation during labour what other reasons are there to give you and internal?

Sounds like i have a few weeks to wait until i need to worry about babies position too!!

Thanks for letting me know ladies... one very relieved lady here :D

LMP x

they do if you think your waters have broke, and i think if u had any bleeding they would

Internals are not done until sweeps or if u ask, i personally dotn want them end of.

They tried to feel babies position at 24 weeks but she was too little, and today at 28 she told me she was head down, not sure if all midwifes do this though, i think at this stae its mainly to check shes all there and seems ok lol

nope we dont have internals here until your in labour. and then when i was in labour i only had them to see if i was able to have my waters broken and then one to break my waters. they didnt even check if i was fully dilated, i just needed to push and she let me get on with it!

Internals are generally just done during labour (and even then you can refuse them), that is unless you are having a sweep or something or there is a medical reason but mainly they aren't done before labour (I was relieved too!)

As for positioning, they will tell you if you ask whenever, and so far my LO has been head down but it doesn't really matter too much until about 35/36 weeks as they will often change before then!

I'll just repeat what the others said in that they shouldnt do any internals until your near labour or theres any issues that need checking. They might do a swab say if they think u have an infection but they're just done through pregnancy for medical reasos and not routinly until labour.

positioning, dont know, cant remember lol

I agree with everyone else you don't have internals until your in labour so they can check how many centimeters your gone or if they think you might have an infection then they will do some swabs.

as for the position of baby my midwife always feel my tummy to see the size and everything and when babys bigger they can tell you what position babys in

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back