"Pump and dump"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker7

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone views were on this....

Say you decided that you didn't want to breastfeed - for whatever reason - wouldn't it be a good idea to "pump and dump"?
Surely it would mean that you still get the health benefits, you will have nice big full breasts (if a little tender maybe) and the added bonus of it burning lots of calories.

On the down side, I would imagine you would have to wear breasts pads to soak up any leakages and you'd have to buy a breast pump.... but I think it's a good idea.
Personally, I want to breastfeed but if say I can't, then I was thinking about expressing, but just throwing it away.....

What does everyone else think?

Personally I think If you weren't breastfeeding your baby or expressing and bottle feeding then you certainly wouldn't have time to pump with a newborn! You would have to pump several times a day to keep up a supply just to throw it away?? Wouldn't make sense to me!

If you were pumping the milk, wouldn't make any sense not to give it to your baby.

I doubt very much you would have time to make a formula bottle, then conjure up the energy to pump your breastmilk, only to throw it away.. ?

Its hard to maintain the supply just pumping, plus throwing it away is abomination, its worth its weight in gold esp for prem and sick babies. If i had more milk that i needed, i would donate it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thinks it's ridiculous and selfish.

Why would anyone want to waste good breastmilk? Why not just give it to the baby?

It's obviously up to the mother, but it's such a waste.

Lots of mums wish they could breast feed but can't, it's a shame.

You can donate milk to hospitals to help prem babies and babies who's mothers aren't there or are drug addicts etc...

Well yeah, I suppose if you have the time to express, then you could also have the time to find out how and where to donate it.... but surely it's better - for the benefits I listed above - to express, then to just let it dry up?

Well yeah, I suppose if you have the time to express, then you could also have the time to find out how and where to donate it.... but surely it's better - for the benefits I listed above - to express, then to just let it dry up?

Its better to give it to your baby. I dont see any sense in pumping and throwing it away?

What everyone said.... It's what's best in the world for baby, I have no idea why anyone would choose to throw it away.

Its better to give it to your baby. I dont see any sense in pumping and throwing it away?

I suppose some women just want to formula feed, right from day one.

What everyone said.... It's what's best in the world for baby, I have no idea why anyone would choose to throw it away.

But why would someone choose to let it dry up?

most ppl dont 'choose' to let it dry up, it dries up itself unless your feeding lo or pumping every 2 hrs religiously which is too much hard work when you have a lo to look after. if i was to pump and not give it to lo (which is baffling as the health benefits from it mean this would be a stupid thing to do) id donate it. i.e if your going to express which is a lot of faffing around and hard work then why not give it to baby in a bottle rather than throwing it away. it makes no sense at all

Even if you feed the baby, there will come a time when BF comes to an end, and you will have to go through the process of letting it dry up.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure milk will even come in without baby establishing supply, pumps are very primitive devices and baby is very likely the only one who can get milk to come in the first weeks.

Last edited:
Even if you feed the baby, there will come a time when BF comes to an end, and you will have to go through the process of letting it 'dry up'.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure milk will even come in without baby establishing supply, pumps are very primitive devices and baby is very likely the one who can get milk to come in the first weeks.

I thought you could breast feed for years?

Even if you feed the baby, there will come a time when BF comes to an end, and you will have to go through the process of letting it 'dry up'.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure milk will even come in without baby establishing supply, pumps are very primitive devices and baby is very likely the one who can get milk to come in the first weeks.

I thought you could breast feed for years?
You can, of course. But most people choose to switch to cow's milk after a couple of years at most, or there would be plenty of 30 year olds breastfeeding away. LOL!

Last edited:
its not pleasant to be engorged and leaking, not a little tender, bloody painful and dangerous as it can cause blocked ducts and mastitis being too full all the time. pumping only when full would mean your supply would dry up anyway and wouldnt burn calories like feeding the baby would and its nigh on impossible to establish a supply in the first place without feeding the baby. a lot of ppl dont choose to formula feed, they just find it too hard to breastfeed or dont want to bether with the hassle and hard work it can be so i very much doubt those type of ppl would be bothered to pump every 2 hrs either. for women that cant bf thru no fault of their own id imagine that if it were possible to pump and feed their baby with it solely and not an almost impossible task then i think they would pump but noone whose bf'd or had their baby and wanted to bf would throw away perfectly good breast milk, trust me on that one.

I was unable to breastfeed successfully so I pump at least 6-8 times a day and bottle feed my baby - if I spill even a drop I'm in tears! It's like gold dust to me, I don't see the point in dumping it when a baby - if not your own could benefit.

I thinks it's ridiculous and selfish.

Why would anyone want to waste good breastmilk? Why not just give it to the baby?

It's obviously up to the mother, but it's such a waste.

Lots of mums wish they could breast feed but can't, it's a shame.

You can donate milk to hospitals to help prem babies and babies who's mothers aren't there or are drug addicts etc...

I agree with this big time! Why would you just not breastfeed your child and let THEM get all the benefits and that is what breast milk is for! The mother is just the vessel that carries it and makes it for the baby or child.

Some women never 'dry' up and still leak after finishing!

Just to add if you 'couldn't' bf (which with the with support you will) you would be better feeding baby the EBM not dumping it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back