Puberty:S

chellr88

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Been a while since I have been on here but I'm hoping for some advice. My DD has just turned 10 (don't know how that happened, but anyway!).
Last week she became very embarrassed and told me that she has a few dark hairs on her underarms and her leg hairs are now darker and thicker. I think it's safe to assume she has now properly started puberty. I was around the same age.

Anyway, my question is this....at what age did any of you/or would you consider letting your DD shave? She has become very self-conscious about it but I also know that shaving too early can make the hairs grow in thicker and darker. I also want her to know that it's completely natural and she shouldn't feel the need to shave just for others.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just very confused at the moment and it's a very sensitive subject! :shock:

I think for girls as you know it can be a bit less how you feel and how you look in changing rooms for PE etc. Ofcourse it's natural but I was the same when my hair started coming in.

I would perhaps let her use NAIR sensitive the hair removal cream. Don't want to immediately shave and cause irritation or more thicker hair.

I started prepuberty at 11. I think I started shaving at high school but until then I used my mums veet or imac it was back then!!

xxxx

I remember having dark hairs for a while before my mum let me shave them and always thought if I have a daughter (which I do now) I'd let her get rid of them as soon as they came if that's what she wanted. I hated being so self conscious.

I likethe above idea of using veet sensitive. and maybe get her a nice sensitive deodorant as well

Agreed with the hair removal cream.
I think as long as she understands that it's totally normal and that she doesn't need to feel embarrassed or conscious about it, if she still wants to then it's best to allow her to xo

Its an old wives tale that shaving makes the hair thicker. Only the root of the hair is allive. What you do to the ends doesn't make a difference because its already dead. It just looks thicker sometimes because the ends grow back blunt where they were cut, not naturally tapered but long term she won't actually end up with more hair or thicker hair from shaving it.

Try telling my bikini that every other day :lol:

Regardless of whether it grows in thicker or not. I think for a girl of 10 it's a far better option than shaving. She would soon be shaving every other day.

I was shaving at 12 and am 25 now and need to do my legs every other day. Could just be me personally but it didn't start out that way.

If she is self conscious I'd rather advise a gentler approach to hair removal over potentially causing irritation or damage.

Also for the OP, those little hair buffers from JML and chemists might also be a good option if shown how to use properly.

xxxxx

Are you opposed to taking her to a salon and getting her used to waxing? At this early stage she wouldn't need regular appointments as it will take a while to come back through.

I suffered with being hairy early, and took it upon myself to start shaving. My goodness I wish I hadn't.
I know quite a few people whose mums took them straight to waxing and to be honest most of them have barely any leg hair to worry about these days. Plus it eliminates the whole 'stubble' thing as it grows back from the root rather than the cut of shaving.

Hair removal creams seem like they could be a good idea too, I can't speak for those though as they don't work for my skin or hair and I end up red and blotchy.

I have two girls (baby and toddler) and I think if I came to this situation I would let her do whatever she wanted to help her feel confident and just make sure to talk about if openly and casually. I have no problem with shaving, maybe suggest only doing it the night before PE or when she knows her legs will be on display? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back