Psoriasis

dannii87

Reaction score
Hello mummies!

I've just been thinking.. I have psoriasis and when I asked my MW about it she said that the only way it could be passed down to my baby is by breastfeeding.

This is not 100% guaranteed that baby will get it if I breastfeed, but there is a chance and it scares the life out of me.

We all want what is best for our children and I'm in limbo about whether to chance it and try to breastfeed or don't breastfeed and decrease the risk.

I am worried because I have had this since I was 10 and it has never fully disappeared. There is no cure for it, I can only control it (and that depends on the cream and my stress levels). I got bullied badly at school and sometimes it will get me so down that I hate the summer because I don't want to wear pretty little tops in case people notice. I really couldn't put my child through that surely?

I'd appreciate some advice :D

Thank you! xxx

:?

my dad has this (like a skin condition isnt it)

i was under the impression that it was hereditory.

i dont see how breastfeeding could pass it on :?

Yeah I've read a lot about it after I spoke to my MW and it all says the same...

My type of psoriasis can be passed on by breastfeeding. I understand not all is though. :)

x

i was told psoriasis is not contagious :think: surely something which can be passed on thru BFing means its contagious?

I guess you would have to weigh up the pros and cons. Is it more aventageous for your baby to get all the protection and goodness from breastmilk with the risk of psoriasis or to be given formula and hope thathe doesn't get psoriasis. I'd say breast feed but I don't have it.
Good luck with your decision :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hey Dannii :wave:
Not much help just wanted to pass some hugs :hug: :hug: My ex ex has
psoriasis, so I know quite a bit about it. Sunbeds, dead sea scrubs, medicated lotions etc etc
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Its a tough one chick...................Will it DEF be passed on through breastfeeding??

trixipaws said:
i was told psoriasis is not contagious :think: surely something which can be passed on thru BFing means its contagious?

................. :think: :think: tricky. HIV is not contagious but can be passed on through breastfeeding, maybe its in the same cat....just guessing here mind you :think:

My honest opinion is don't bf. If you do bf and your baby gets psorisis and then gets bullied etc - you might never forgive yourself.
Formula isn't poison (regardless of what some people might think). I probably have an unpopular opinion but it is my opinion.

BTW I suddenly got acute psorisis in my 30's during a stressful period of my life (just before I got pregnant with my second baby). It covered my body. I was lucky as the creams did nothing but sunbeds did work for me - and within a few weeks it went away. I stopped the sunbeds to ttc and fell pregnant - the doctor told hormonal changes in pregnancy can stop you having psorisis. Anyway son now nearly 2 and I haven't had it since. Good luck to you!! :hug: :hug:

Hey, thanks for your replies! Nope, Psoriasis is not contagious in any form.

You pass on your antibodies through breastfeeding to your baby and within those, are my faulty ones!

I guess I should have explained more about Psoriasis before posting. I didn't have a clue what it was before I got it!

Psoriasis:
is a disease which affects the skin and joints. It commonly causes red scaly patches to appear on the skin. The scaly patches caused by psoriasis, called psoriatic plaques, are areas of inflammation and excessive skin production. Skin rapidly accumulates at these sites and takes a silvery-white appearance. Plaques frequently occur on the skin of the elbows and knees, but can affect any area including the scalp and genitals. Psoriasis is hypothesized to be immune-mediated and is not contagious.

Couldn't have put it better myself! :D
x

:shock: :shock: :shock: i didn't know this!!! I've had it since i was 13!!! no ones ever metioned that.. REALLY wanted to breast feed aswel!! :cry: will have to investigate.... mines gone super now with being pregnant just got the white bits where it used to be :) am sure will all come back when had baby tho. Its awful having it, when mines bad its all over legs, thighs and arms not pleasant but must admit no one has ever really cared except me.. sun does it wonders! thinking about it though, i've got a friend who's a nurse and she has it, has had since birth and she BF :think: will have to text her. :hug: xx

I text my friend and she did BF her baby she is a nurse and she also has psoriasis. Thomas is now over 1 and he's fine so far. She told me that it's only 50% chance of getting it even though it is hereditary. I'm not going to worry about it and am going to still BF. xx

Ah that's great Kel!

Sounds like it depends on the type of psoriasis then... Trust me to get the type that is passed on through BF lol :roll:

xx

I've changed my mind. I said before that I thought you should breast feed but having learned more about psoriasis now I think you should bottle feed. Actually, I think you should do what you think is best. What I mean is I think I would choose to bottle feed.

Good luck deciding, hun

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Id say bottle feed. It isnt poisen. Hannah has been bottle fed and is a very healthy baby. shes had one cold (not bad going for 9 months) and weighs 24lbs.
If you breast feeed nd constantly worry that will do you no good.

What type do you have dannii?.. and what type is passed on?.. do you have any links? pls :hug: I haven't had time to look into yet just text my friend who has BF her baby and shes got the same type as me. Is your type only passed on by BF and not heredity? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back