progesterone blood test

puds

Reaction score
:wave:
doctor reffered me for blood tests yesterday for testosterone and progesterone to see if i have pcos. she ummed and aahed about whether to test for progesterone as it has to be done on certain days during the cycle and as mine are very irregular- (day 38 no ov yet!!) she didn't think there was much point. even so she has put it on the slip to be tested.
my question is what day are progesterone blood tests useful as i am in no big rush to get them done as i have to wait for a scan and just in case i ovulate in the next few weeks i can time going to the hospital for bloods right to make the results more useful!
sorry for waffling and hope i make sense!!!
thanks
xx

Progesterone is released in your body after your ovulate. They can measure the level from 2 or 3 DPO but usually they do it at 7 or 8 DPO as the progesterone levels would have increased by then hence your high temps every day until AF. So looks like your doctor was genuinely concerned that your blood tests might not help much at this point. I'd wait till you ovulate and have them done 7 or 8 days later :hug:

thanks hun. :hug: if i happen to ovulate in the next few days (i wish!!) i'll wait otherwise i'll just get them done next week as its the testosterone i think theu are interested in for the pcos anyway.
xxx

Hi

Normally day 21 if you have a 28 day cycle, so 7 days after you ovulate. My periods are really irregular (can go for 6 months without one!) so my doctor just did the blood test on any day so obviously it came back that i wasn't ovulating. The hospital didn't even bother with repeating it as there was no point. I wouldn't worry too much about when to have it, if they haven't told you a specific day. The results should still indicate whether you have PCOS or not.

Good luck

Michelle x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back