• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Problems with work...

*Star*

Reaction score
Okay, so I was due to go back to work on the 9th March (sunday).
i was in hospital on the sunday(until the wed), and was off work for that week. I was due to go back to work on the following sunday (so i had 5 working days off work - sunday, monday, wednesday, thursday and friday).

now, work called me on the saturday (the day before i was due to go back to work after i came out of hospiital) to say that i have lots of holiday that i need to take before the end of march, or i would loose it, and therefore i would not be back at work until wednesday 26th march.

ok so no problem... but now, work want me to provide a sick note for the days that i was off work. as far as the manager is concerned, i need a sick note to cover me because i was off work for a week, but i wasn't was i? it was only 5 working days i was sick, and i said i would come back on the sunday. i rang the dr and they say they will not issue sick notes for the first 7 days because you can self certify, which i told work and they are saying no, i need a sick note because i was off work for a week...

if i need a sick note ill have to get a private one and pay for it...

as a side note, the whole time on the phone it sounded like the manager was just pissed with me, wasn't very nice, though didn't go out of her way to say so. when i said my dr wouldn't give me a note she said that 'no one else quibbles about having to provide a sick note' then after a pause said ' i guess it must only be your dr with the issue with it'

so yeah im not that happy and now i don't particularly want to be going back.

she also said that she is not sure i actually have enough holiday to cover me up till the 26th that i was told i was off too. and because the shop is shut on easter sun, i have to either work the hours i would normally work on a sun another day, or i would have to work a different day of the week...

Officially if you're off sick for more then 3 working days your work has the right to ask for a Doctors note.

The whole thing just confused me but then I am rather simple.

Your Dr should give you a sick note if you ask for one, but your work should also accept a self cert for the first week. That would mean Mon-Sun to me, but maybe they recognise a week as being Mon-Fri?

No clue really..sorry :hug:

Just found this on NHS direct website....hope it helps

Whether or not you need a sickness certificate from your doctor depends on your company policy. This should tell you how long you are able to be off sick for before you need a doctor's note. For more information ask your supervisor or speak to someone from Human Resources.

Employers cannot ask for a doctor's certificate for the first seven days of a spell of sickness though they can ask you to notify them on your first day of absence.

When you return to work after being ill, you usually have to fill in a form saying how long you were off sick for and why. This is called a self-certification or SC2 form. If your place of work does not have any of these forms, you may be able to get one from your GP surgery or from your nearest Revenue and Customs (Tax) office. You can also download a form from the Revenue and Customs website (see the 'further information' section).

If you are off sick for more than a certain length of time (usually seven days), you will need to get a sick note from your GP.

To get a sick note you will have to make an appointment with your GP. In some cases you may have to pay for the certificate. Your GP practice will be able to advise you of their charges.

thanks - i just found something similar

Sick notes
The rules on sick notes

For the first three days of an illness your employer does not legally require any sick notes
For days 4, 5, 6 and 7 you can give your employers a ‘Self Certificate’ sick note. This is a form you complete and does not require a doctor's opinion
For any illness over 7 days long you will need a doctors note.

so, i dont need a sicknote and they can't make me get one?
i'm getting the impression that they don't believe i was sick...

a GP wont normally issue a medical certificate if the period of sickness is 7 days or less.

I understand what you are saying about actual working days you were off sick but as you were off sick for the whole week your sick note will have to read for the period Sunday-Friday (this is if Saturday was a non-working day). so it will be for 6 days, you cant break up your sickness by saying that the tuesday etc were not working days. ie you cant say you were sick Sun-Mon and then Weds-Fri

regarding the easter sunday, is this normal practice that you have to make the hours up?, i would check with other staff as obviously everyone that normally works will be affected

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back