Being signed off work

Princess_Puddles

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever been signed off work? if so do your work have to pay you if you have a sick note? I dunno if you've all read my post in Adult Section but I'm asking because I'm thinking of asking my doctor to sign me off work for a bit (Do you think they would?) for depression and various other things that are in my other post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

xXx

Depends on your contract if they will pay anything more than SSP.

SSP is £72 a week.

Go check out the info on the DWP site here

Sherlock said:
Depends on your contract if they will pay anything more than SSP.

SSP is £72 a week.

Go check out the info on the DWP site here

Thanks hun. The only thing is I don't have a contract, I know you legally should but I don't. I didnt have an interview to get the job and dont know how many days holiday a year I get either (I have asked about hols but she always says I don't know i'll have to find out, but never does) but anyway thank you for the link.
The only think I'm worried about is she's said she isn't going to pay me anymore sick pay as I've had time off for the past 2 weeks. I really dunno what to do.

if you are signed off sick by the doc which has to be more than 7 days other wise you self cert yourself as long as company policy is to pay sick then you should get payed, but seen as you have no contract its a bit difficult as they wouldnt have to pay you if they didnt want to as there is no contract

But you get SSP regardless afaik. And you have rights, regardless of not having a written contract. Hence employment laws ;)

Re your holiday pay, have a look at this page as there is a legal requirement you are entitled to for holiday.

How do I claim?

Telling your employer you are sick

To get SSP, you should tell your employer that you are sick as soon as possible. You employer may have their own rules for when and how you tell them you are sick (please check with your employer).

However they cannot insist that you tell them:
in person
earlier than the first qualifying day or by a set time
on a special form
on a medical certificate
more than once a week during your sickness

Your employer may not pay you SSP if you tell them you are sick more than 7 days after you are first became sick.

Evidence that you are sick

Your employer will ask you for evidence that you are sick. This will usually be in the form of a sick note from your doctor.

But your employer cannot ask you to provide a sick note, for the first 7 days that you are sick. They may ask you to fill in a self-certificate of their own or form SC2 which you can get from your GP's surgery, your nearest HM Revenue & Customs office or HM Revenue & Customs website.

top of page
How is it paid?

Your employer will pay SSP to you in the same way and at the same time as your normal wages.

top of page
What else should I know?

If you have more than one job you may be entitled to SSP from each employer.

Your employer cannot end your contract of service to avoid paying SSP.

If you are away from work because of trade union action, you will not get SSP.

Sherlock said:
But you get SSP regardless afaik. And you have rights, regardless of not having a written contract. Hence employment laws ;)

Re your holiday pay, have a look at this page as there is a legal requirement you are entitled to for holiday.

I know I have got to do something when It comes to my contract, Ive been meaning to go to the CAB because not only do I not have a contract they are treating me differently to other employees!! I just had a look on that website and it says you're entitled to 4.8 weeks (24days) if you work 5 days a week but I work 4 and a half. The girl I work with gets 24 days yet she works 4 and half too :think:

IIRC if you ask them to provide you with a contract they have to legally oblige within a certain period of time. I don't think you are under any obligation to sign it though. But it may make things awkward. You don't have to agree to less holiday than the legal amount. I'm sure there is a simple way to work out the entitlement for 4.5 days.

Has the other woman worked there longer than you? If so she may have accrued the extra bit of holiday.

4.5 days a week should get you a decent amount of holiday though. Its almost full time work so :) It'll only be a day or two less I'd think.

If you can't get to the CAB give them a call. They can give advice over the phone also :) They may need to take your number to call you back while they research things, but usually are very good. I've contacted them this way a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back