Problems with one particular person at work

AliCat

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I've been having problems with a particular person at work.
It started off on Monday when having started at 8am, I was due to finish at 4pm (in my contract it says my hours are generally 9-5, but hours are flexible) and I've been for months sharing the early and later starts with another colleague and no-one has had a problem with this.
Anyway, on Monday this person wanted me to minute a meeting that was due to start at 4.30pm (stupid time to have a meeting :twisted: ) and I tolg him I couldn't because I was due to finish at 4pm. He then rang thru to my desk and started berating me about my hours of work and what my job role was (he isn't my boss may I add). He basically bullied me and pushed me into a corner to get me to agree to stay from 8am til 5pm and minute this meeting. So I stayed and when the meeting ran over 5pm, I left it as I thought why should I stay longer? and went home.
Yesterday, he just ignored me, and I ignored him. I'm so furious I can't bring myself to look at him either. At around 2pm yesterday afternoon, he started to demand the typed up minutes from the meeting. He knows that at the mo, I'm doing a really heavy work-load as my colleague is on holiday and I told him that I'm doing my best but got a lot on, and he'd get his minutes when I'm ready. Needless to say, I busted a gut yesterday afternoon along with all my other stuff that needs my attention, to get the minutes typed up and sent to him. There's probably mistakes in them, but what can I do? I'm a human not a robot.
Well, the morning I've woken up with headaches again and I've been having period-type pains in my stomach. I'm sure this is stress-related but I'm so worried that my baby's gonna be affected and I'm worrying even more. And it's all thanks to him.
I can't even feel that I can put in a complaint about him, coz I know that if I do, he's just gonna make my work life even more miserable and I'll end up being ill with stress or leaving.
I came home on Monday evening in tears and my husband was going mad. I'm still really upset now and I'm feeling reluctant to go into work for the rest of the week, but I know I can't coz I've just got so much work.
Any advice peeps? Thanks to you all. xxx

I would quit lol i wouldnt be able to cope with going in every day but then thats just me.
I left my job early and claimed maternity allowance coz i hated it so much and nothing was worth putting my baby at risk and plus i was getting anxiety waking up everyday worrying about going in and everything. Being and feeling happy was more important to me and my partner than money so we just made do on just his wages. I dont know what your circumstances are financially but i know if im not happy somewhere i work then it really really bothers me and affects everything.
Other than that then why dont you go to the doctors and be signed off sick or with stress or whatever and who cares what your colleagues or work people say/think. You have other priorities now that you need to focus on so do whatever you feel is right.
Not sure what else to suggest other than talk to a boss or supervisor or someone. Its difficult situation maybe you can take maternity leave early either that or just go into work with your head up high and dont let things bother you and just think about the baby you will have soon and none of this crappy work stuff and minute meetings will matter.
Hope you get it sorted :hug: :hug:

You say he will make you even more miserable and you will get ill with stress - I'm sorry hun, but if you are getting headaches and crying lots you already are ill with stress :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think you should talk to your boss and explain the situation. If you don't want it to feel like you are making it all about the bloke, ask for clarification about your working hours - is it OK to be in 8-4, can someone else make you stay until 5 if you have started at 8 as that has happened when x person said you couldn't go so you worked from 8-5. Is there anyway they could give you notice if that were to happen. Perhaps go for the 'I need help' angle (and you do need help) - You have a heavy work load at the moment, could your boss have a quiet word with this guy to tell him to back off a bit as he is not your no. 1 priority at work.

If this doesn't resolve matters or makes things worse, go to your doctor. Do not put on a brave face, cry! Get signed off. If you go back and things haven't improved, get signed off again. Repeat until the situation is improved or you start maternity leave.
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

If he's not your boss I wouldn't even give this pratt a second thought. You'll be leaving soon anyway and who cares what he thinks. Over the years I have developed a very thick skin when it comes to working and colleagues attitudes and can honestly say I don't care what people think anymore. It has taken me a while to get like this though. You need to put your foot down.

Don't bust a gut to get things done, I've always done this and taken on more and more until I found I couldn't cope with my workload, and it took me leaving for maternity leave before they actually listened and realised how much I was expected to do.

If you always manage and fit it in they'll expect you the cope with more and more. Put your foot down now and get some support from your boss or HR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back