Problem with the name Olivia

Evelyn

Reaction score
I really liked the name Olivia for a girl and Marco for a boy - husband is from an Italian family.

My mother-in-law tells me that Olivia is what Popeye's girlfriend is called in Italy (Olive Oyl to you and I), and that the Italians may think this is funny. She suggested that we change it to Livia instead, but I still prefer Olivia.

Do you think I should stick with it, as everyone else thinks it is a lovely name and goes well with my surname, or should I change to Livia?

BTW, my mother-in-law approves of the name Marco, so at least I don't need to worry if it's a boy!

if i were you id stick with the original name :hug:

I'd stick with it if you like the name (it was on our list too but got nothing italian to worry about). Popeye isn't exactly well known anymore anyway, you should be fine :)

if you really like the name then go for it doesnt matter what anyone else says :D

I'd stick with it, personally. Apart from anything else, if I'm correct, your little one is going to be spending the vast majority of their time here where nobody will think anything of it. Also, as leckershell has noted, I don't think many people under the age of about 25 will make the Popeye connection so it's probably not something you need to fret about. Family will get used to it and once she's here they won't dare to criticise!

When I was convimced my baby was a girl we were gonna call it Olivia.

I'd stick with it if I were you :)

I think its your baby and if you like Olivia, name her Olivia. I think its beautiful, and if you liked the name olive oyl id say name her Olive oyl..lol...point is she will be your little one and you should call her a name you will love

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back