problem at work opinions wanted!

nathanmum

Reaction score
had a run in with a dr the other day :roll:

basically i asked it to be documented in a patients notes that although they are nil by mouth (theyre not allowed to eat cos they have an unsafe swallow) they can have food and sips for comfort as they are terminally ill.

after much protest :wall: he agreed to do it he said it didnt need to documented cos we shouldnt offer it she should be given it if she asked. i explained to him that if there is a big sign saying NBM and she asks then no one would give it to her cos its a confusing message.

anyway we then got onto a discussion about it and i said that personally i would not give her anything cos i wouldnt want to be responsible for her aspirating (stuff going into lungs- not good) he said that that was unethical. it really peed me off. i fully appreciated that the patient wants food and drink as a comfort thats fine but i dont want to give it to her cos i dont want to kill her. if the family or other staff do thats fine but i see that as my right to refuse.

we are allowed to opt out of abortions if its against our beliefs, im also against euthanasia and would never want to play a part in it.

i took some flak about this from him and another senior member of staff, i think it was wrong of them. what do you think? am i wrong for not giving it to the patient?

no, i think you are being sensible & following your own beliefs.
good for you, you stand up for what you believe in & stick your ground, i would. :hug:

That's a toughie as I dont know enough about nursing and what you should and shouldnt be expected to do, is the patient actually aware of what might happen should she eat or drink something? if she is then I think that this should be in the notes and therefore if anything happened then it would be no-ones fault, sort of like where someone has it recorded that they do not want to be resusicitated etc.

I admire you and anyone else for the difficult and demanding job that you do :clap:

thanks ladies i dont feel so bad now. whether shes aware is questionable, i just wanted it documented for my collegues really to cover them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back