• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Private early scans - worth it or not?

babyblonde

Reaction score
Hubby and I were discussing it today.

I have found a place locally that does early scans (usually somewhere between 7 - 10 weeks I think it said) at about £70.

We were discussing that this is fairly expensive - especially in January (I will be 7 weeks and 1 day on New Years Eve). My opinion on it is that it wouldn't really be worth doing past 8 weeks -as the regular scan is usually between 10 and 12 weeks (hope that's right!). Might feel differently nearer the time.....

So the questions I have if you don't mind are:

1) Is it worth the cash to not have to wait til 12 weeks for a scan?
2) How far in advance do you normally book these things?
3) Is it worth doing once you are past 8 weeks?

All opinions gratefully received!

We decided not to have an early scan but that was largely because it was going to cost 185. We decided to put that money towards a really nice camera to take photos of the baby when it is born :D

Plus the idea behind the early scan, as I understand it, is to see whether it has Down's Syndrome. We have made our decision on what we will do if the baby has it and it won't change whether we know at 9 weeks or 20 weeks.

I am not sure how much you can see at an early scan either.

All that being said, in some ways I wish that we had had one because at the moment I am past the first trimester at xmas, so want to tell everyone, but without having a scan (mine is on 5 January) I feel nervous.

Congratulations on your news by the way. You deserve a happy and healthy pregnancy!

ps: my first "12 week scan" is actually at 14 weeks so I wouldn't hold your breath that it is going to be between 10 and 12 weeks.

Aw thanks hun - and duly noted about the 14 week "12 week scan" :hug:

I am probably the most impatient person alive and had an early scan as you know. I did this when pregnant with Maddison too. I wanted one for reassurance that there was a heartbeat and we paid £95 for it. Its entirely up to you hun, you dont get to see much as baby is teeny but they will show you the heart beating :hug:

i'll end up having a early scan i think, like snuggle has said.. i am one of the most impatient people in the world.

although it will depend on the money. if it's too OTT then it won't happen.

I think if it will put your mind at ease untill your first NHS scan then it would be worth it but its alot of money to pay.

chaya5738 said:
Plus the idea behind the early scan, as I understand it, is to see whether it has Down's Syndrome.
A scan cant tell you if your baby has down syndrome only an amnio can, but a nuchal translusancy scan done at 12 wks combined with blood test can give you an indication.

ok, I was told that a scan at 9 weeks would indicate whether it had Down's Syndrome (and then, of course, you would have an amnio). I don't think there is any other reason for an early scan except for peace of mind, right (ie: to see whether there is anything there)?

After taking so long to conceive and finding out soooo early, we decided to have an early private scan which cost us £80. I can honestly say it was worth every penny. I was convinced there was nothing in there but we both saw on the big screen the baby with a heartbeat (9 weeks) and even saw its tiny limbs moving. The scan was purely for reassurance and viability and everything was fine. I cant tell you the relief and happiness we felt after that scan and got a couple of little pics. We then decided not to have a private 4D scan or anything so I suppose you would save money if you decided not to do that in the later stages.

I think I rang up and they fitted us in a couple of days later for an evening appt.

As I already said, I think it was worth every penny xx

chaya5738 said:
Plus the idea behind the early scan, as I understand it, is to see whether it has Down's Syndrome. We have made our decision on what we will do if the baby has it and it won't change whether we know at 9 weeks or 20 weeks.

The scan for Downs is called a Nuchal translucency scan and isn't done early. Its carried out between 11 weeks and and 13 weeks (give or take a few days). They combine this with dating baby also but do other measurements and calculations and take bloods to give a risk to baby of Downs and other possible things.

Most NHS hospitals don't offer a Nuchal scan as routine hence people having to go private for one if they want it. NHS don't have staff trained to do these scans (and some don't have the equipment). More NHS hospitals are starting to do them but its still very hit and miss.

We had one when I was 11 weeks and 5 days as I was 37 at the time. Went private.

Most early scans are done by the NHS as reassurance scans or if there are possible problems. Otherwise the first scan is the dating scan at around 12 weeks (this gives the most accurate due date hence dating at this time and not sooner or later). However, offering early scans as routine would probably bankrupt the NHS hence them only being done in emergency etc. Private early scans are usually for parents who just want to see their baby sooner than 12 weeks and who don't have a need for an early NHS one.

Oooh thanks Sherlock - some useful info there!

I think in all honesty we probably will just wait for our NHS scan - we've got a house to finish decorating before Twink makes an appearance so the money might be better spent on that!

i had my 12 week scan today but i was actually only 9weeks +4 i've got to say it was amzing seeing the heartbeat and making sure there was a baby there but to be honest couldn't really see much apart from a blob! i remember i was 13 weeks at DS 1st scan and it was amazing how clear and how much you could see being that little further on, so i would say if you have the spare cash and not worried about the money go for it but if things are tight then its well worth the wait for the 12 week scan and its free!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back