Are Early Scans worth it?

Daydreaming

Reaction score
Hi guys

I would love to have an early scan to just confirm bubs is doing ok, but I am wondering if I am just being impatient and paranoid?

We are nearly 9 weeks preggers and earliest time I could get an early scan is next weekend (almost 10 weeks). It would cost £70.
Pros:
Can then tell friends without as much concern of miscarriage
Confirmation for myself!
Get an estimate on dating etc.

Cons:
I havent any reason to think I am not pregnant, I have "morning" sickness, tiredness etc.
It costs £70 around the xmas hols
Only 2 weeks after I should get my official scan.

The reason I really want it is because I want to tell people (some people appear to be guessing already!).

Any thoughts if the early scan is worth it for me?

I had one done at 10+2 but only because I have had a previous mc and was going on holiday 2 days after my 12 week scan so I wanted to know if there was a chance it could be bad news to deal with it beforehand. I was all chewed up beforehand because I found it incredibly stressful.

If it wasnt for me going on holiday I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Some people take massive comfort from them but I worried about 2 days later that something bad would happen and got myself worked into a state again before the 12 week scan.

The midwife told me that if you have an early scan things could still go wrong afterwards. Obviously this is quite rare I think though.

If you will take reassurance from it and don't mind shelling out then go for it. Having said that, even if you don't have one you won't have that long to wait of you are 9 weeks.

X

I had one at 7+1 and I personally got huge comfort from it, and it has made the last 4 weeks more bearable, but it's up to the individual really. I say if you can afford it, go for it! Hearing the heartbeat is amazing! X x

Cheers for the thoughts ladies.
We *can* afford it, but it may be wiser to spend money on other things... I'll have to discuss further with hubs.

The other thing you could do is buy a doppler - there are some cheap 2nd hand angelsounds ones on eBay, and even new they're not too expensive. It can take a while to find the heartbeat sometimes but even with an anterior placenta in the way I found Toby's at 10 weeks and I think I found that more reassuring than my early scan as I could listen whenever I wanted to x

The other thing you could do is buy a doppler - there are some cheap 2nd hand angelsounds ones on eBay, and even new they're not too expensive. It can take a while to find the heartbeat sometimes but even with an anterior placenta in the way I found Toby's at 10 weeks and I think I found that more reassuring than my early scan as I could listen whenever I wanted to x

The angelsounds ones are rubbish when your earlyon it does say on box to wait till 14-16 weeks. I have tried with my angelsounds and found nothing yet but my own heartbeat in the plecenta x

Depends, have you got a date for your 12 week scan? I had reason to get an early one because I am an older first time mum and overweight so I wanted to make sure evrything was where it should be. I totally understand people who have had bad experiences with previous experiences pregnancies wanting reassurance scans. Even if you've not had any issues but would gain some peace of mind from a reassurance early scan its probably worth it. However if your 12 week scan is not too far away and you feel ok you may want to wait.

I got one done at 8 weeks which was a comfort to me. But really it only last a week or so and I started pooping myself that all was going to be ok at the next scan.

Same again after the twelve week scan. I was ok for a couple of weeks then started pooping myself again.

Only started pooping less when I started feeling regular movement.

Whatever you decide it'll be the best decision for you.

The angelsounds ones are rubbish when your earlyon it does say on box to wait till 14-16 weeks. I have tried with my angelsounds and found nothing yet but my own heartbeat in the plecenta x

Maybe I was lucky with Toby then. I've used a different one this time but found it from 10 weeks with it last time, and I thought having an anterior placenta would make it harder x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back