• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Primary School Talk

Nicola

Reaction score
I'm just wondering, I've been asked to go into the local primary school and give a talk to two classes of children on the life of the ancient egyptians and the creation myths surrounding them etc. I have no problem with content, I've done this in the past and present frequently but it's usually to university students to whom I find I can explain things easier! How on earth do you tailor it to children aged around 8? Also a lot of what is considered "common knowledge" about their lives etc is acutally just fiction and from an actual historian point of view very wrong - I'm wiery of teaching the kids the opposite of what the classroom teacher has told them and don't want to confuse them but at the same time would feel bad telling them stuff I knew not to be truth. Any ideas?

Id say go with what you know, tell what you know to be true. Its the right thing to do, and if it causes the kids to ask questions then thats the best outcome isnt it? :D Confusion leads to questioning which leads to a more open mind in my opinion!

HI
I'm a primary teacher myself...they love the Egyptian myths and stories. What else goes down really well is the gory stuff! If you've got pics or artefacts bring them in - the kids are generally really careful with them if you reiterate how precious they are. Maybe you could ask for volunteers to "act" out the stories of creation as you're telling the stories.

Have you had a look at
http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/scheme ... /?view=get
and that will show you what they should be learning.
Just ask if you need any more help! Or arrange a meeting with the class teacher / phone them and discuss any worries.

Hi,

GGG: thanks that's what I thought too, questions are good things rather than just always believeing what your told type thing.

Kylie: Thanks for that website, I have photos etc I've put onto a CD for them, can play it over the interactive white boards so they can all see them, pictures of the tombs, temples and mummified "things" etc. I also have two egyptian costumes, a male and female (mine and DH's) that we bought for about £2 out there, I wondered if they might like dressing up in those (if I can find them) although they will be to long on them I thought it would be fun.

Thanks for the website will have a detailed look at that after dinner.

Nicola xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back