• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Presentation scan- info please!

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

well I went for my normal checkup today and apparently they think the baby is breech- aargh! So I've got a presentation scan tomorrow and if it is then I've another next Monday at the hospital where they'll decided what to do. I don't know anything about all of this and I have lots of questions!!

Is it likely to turn now? I'm 36 weeks tomorrow.

Does it hurt if they try and turn it?

Do I have a choice about the turning if they think it's doable after checking the fluid/size etc?

Do I get a choice about electing a C section if they can't turn it or it doesn't work?

If I do get offered a C section when do they do it and what does it depend on? Do they wait until you're nearly term?

Is there any point in me trying other ways of turning it- i.e positions/ alternative health etc- my midwife said not but does anyone have any advice?

Panic panic panic!
Sorry!
:hug: :hug: :hug:
+++

:hug: Dont panic yet honey, my LO was breech at 35 weeks but had turned by 36 + 4 - my 19 year old son actually turned 4 days before his due date too :D obviously its a boy thing for me :D

I know at our hospital they will offer you the option to try and turn the baby - its done externally with manipulation. If they cant then section tends to be your option here.

Good luck with your scan tomorrow :hug:

Jane x

Thanks Jane!

Does the manipulation hurt? I've read that it's not a good idea for the baby as there might be a reason for it being breech like a cord or something which they can't always see and that it might bring on labour- is this true?

I know it's too early for me to panic but if I know the info I feel more in control if you know what I mean?!

Will let you know later which way up baby is this morning although looking at the huge bulge at the top left hand side of my tum this morning it must surely be a head....?

Thanks for the reply!
Off to wibble round the house a bit more!
+++

Firstly dont panic hun............Baby could still easily turn yet, remember only 3 out of every 100 babies are breech at 40 weeks!

Is it likely to turn now? I'm 36 weeks tomorrow. Very possibly

Does it hurt if they try and turn it? I didnt go for the ECV due to the position of my baby, he was very tightly tucked under my ribs (was agony for a while), and he was also fully engaged in a breech positon when I had the presentation scan, otherwise I would have given the ECV a try I think! I have heard some excellent success stories of ECV's.

Do I have a choice about the turning if they think it's doable after checking the fluid/size etc? YES

Do I get a choice about electing a C section if they can't turn it or it doesn't work? Of course, if baby wont turn then you will be offered a c-section.

If I do get offered a C section when do they do it and what does it depend on? Do they wait until you're nearly term?
My hospital do elective c-sections for breech babies at 39 weeks......I believe this is fairly standard. They scanned me 2 mins before I went into the operating theatre to check he was still breech, if he had turned I would have had to get dressed and go home even at that point :(

Good luck with the scan and if you need to chat at anytime just send me a PM :hug:

Hi,

thanks for the replies- baby was not breech this morning when they did the scan- phew! Not sure if it turned last night after I had my pelvis half way up the back of the sofa or not- it moved in the most uncomfortable way I have ever felt and the bump did this amazing wavy thing so perhaps.... I'm pretty sure it had changed it's position last week into wherever it was yesterday as I felt similar movements last week and all the kicks turned up somewhere else but today it all seems to have changed again.

Thanks so much for the advice- I guess I've just got to hope that it stays put now and doesn't do any more last minute wriggling!

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back