Preparing for pregnancy

waterlilie

Reaction score
Hello. I am new here and planning to have a baby soon (hopefully :D ). But i'd also like to make sure everything is fine before starting. By this i mean any medical checks that my husband and I need to get done, vaccinations etc...I have an appt to see my GP next week to talk to her about our decision but i'd really like to know before what are the tests that are offered to couples trying to conceive? by this i am not talking about tests to see if we are fertile or not...i know these cannot be done before trying for few months. I mean other health checks like hepatitis, rubeola and toxoplasma...are these done for free in England? is there anything else i need to think about?

Many thanks in advance for your advices and suggestions :wink:

I went to see my doctor to check I could still take the medication I'm on when pregnant so I asked him about preparing to conceive and all he said was to make sure I'm up to date with my smear tests and to start taking folic acid, he didn't suggest anything else

Thanks for your reply.

I am really surprised that he didn't ask you to do any tests!! my cousin is 4 months pregnant and before conceiving her doctor insisted she checks that she hasn't got any infections that she may contaminate the baby with. Another friend of mine found out by accident that she was pregnant and went to have health checks done but they found her rubeola levels too high which could cause terrible damage to the baby! it was too late for her because they couldn't give her a vaccine while pregnant.

Hopefully your doctor will be more bothered :hug: but I know a few ladies who'd told their doctors they were TTC and none of them got tested for anything, could be the policy of the NHS in this area?

i never had any tests either, didn't tell my dr i was ttc!

waterlilie said:
Thanks for your reply.

I am really surprised that he didn't ask you to do any tests!! my cousin is 4 months pregnant and before conceiving her doctor insisted she checks that she hasn't got any infections that she may contaminate the baby with. Another friend of mine found out by accident that she was pregnant and went to have health checks done but they found her rubeola levels too high which could cause terrible damage to the baby! it was too late for her because they couldn't give her a vaccine while pregnant.

Sorry i forgot to mention that both my cousin and my friend are in France! it seems to be a normal procedure there and every woman is advised by the GP or gynecologist to have these tests done before ttc.

Makes sense to me to get the tests as it can prevent future problems but the NHS probably want to save cash!

The NHS don't seem to care about anything much these days, if you want tests before you become pregnant you'll probably have to fight for them or go private.

I will ask my GP on monday and let you know what she says...

what's annoying me is that according to the NHS article, if a woman gets vaccinated she should avoid getting pregnant for at least a month after that which puts my plans on hold for 2 months because we were planning to start this weekend!! :(

well i have a heart problem and any infection could be serious if it gets too bad so when i told my doc i wanted to ttc (after our mmc) he didn't seem too bothered and said i hope you get pregnant soon oh and are you taking folic acid? i said yes but do i need any tests etc and he said nope none at all :roll:

Must be a UK thing, my doc just checked that I was taking folic acid and that my lifestyle was ok, ie not too much drinking, no smoking and not overweight/underweight

The NHS dont give you any free tests before you TTC, folic acid is advised but thats it. You will have to pay privately if you want to have any tests done but they are not cheap! We paid 150€ for OH's blood tests and 60€ for his sperm test and this is only the start. There are hormone tests for both of us on top of this, we had to pay 150€ for the initial consultation and ultrasound to check my womb was ok, then they have to do another test to check the state of your eggs, another blood test at CD1 and another blood test at CD21 are required, 2 -3 sperm tests have to be done to confirm the results are true etc etc etc. If the NHS paid for tests for everyone TTC they would be even more skint than they are now (especially when there is generally nothing wrong with people and then the tests are a complete waste of money) We have been TTC for 18 months now, but it only took 2 months with my first. Its just one of those waiting games i'm afraid. Good luck :hug:

Hey girls,

Well got married in june and before the wedding we went for tests ( am from belguim) like toxo vaccinations so has to be done few months before TTC) and also did all the tests as if i do ovulate well, and the shap eof my womb, as I was operated from endrimetrioses.

So after the wedding we know started, and am now 5 weeks pregnant, that was so quick i had no idea/
Even my gyne said that if I dt get pregnant in the next 3 months, he'll put me in Clomid.

and now am already pregnant without stimulations or fertiles medocs.

So I'll have to give him a call on Monday :eek:

So the only thing you can do is only vaccinations, taking folic acid, and start eating well.
Cos i was dieting to loose a couple of pounds but no too late...

Hugs
Fredae

Hi and thank you all for your replies :) Just wanted to give you my feedback on this. I saw my GP and explained that i wanted to be tested for Rubella and she immediately agreed with me that it's important and referred me to the local hospital where i had a blood test to check my immunity. She said i would need to get a vaccination in case i am not immune and have to wait 3 months before ttc and that was enough to put me in depression :shock: I got my blood test results a week later and luckily i am immune to Rubella which is fantastic news :dance:

I conceived in France - we were living there until I fell pregnant (and then I wanted to come back to the UK).

Never told my French doctor I was TTC, although I was sent for numerous blood tests etc once I fell pregnant, and its all much more thorough than it is in the UK - and I know from friends that overall care in France is better until after the baby is born, but the UK have better aftercare.

However Im still glad to be back.... :D

Good luck TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back