Prenatal depression?

KJL

Reaction score
Does it exist? I'm finding this a bit hard to admitt but I just feel incredibly low and depressed at the moment. I'm not by nature a depressive person, in fact I am generally one of those annoying forever happy optimistic people. Just over the last feel days I feel like i've been sinking a bit. I know having a baby is joyous and wonderful and especially great for my hubby and I as we had problems conceiving and there was always a possibility we wouldn't be able to naturally (because of my endometriosis), so getting pregnant was a real victory for us. Over the last few days I just feel low, energyless, lethargic, and generally uninterested. I was obsessed before with getting the nursery done and washing ickle clothes and packing my hospital bag etc but now I feel like I don't really care. I've also lost my apetite a lot and am not really interested in food so much. I don't really want to go out or see people either.

My hubby has sensed something isn't right as i'm normally so cheery, he's being great and has just msn'd me to say he's cancelled his boxing class tonight and his normal thurs night poker session.

I am so excited about meeting bubs but I am not sure I can cope with another month of feeling so pants and i'm also scared I might end up with postnatal depression.

I feel like I sound like a right nutter ! Sorry for the moan. :oops:

i get the same feeling on and off all the time... i think pregnancy is actually a long time and its ok to get fed up at times... but feeling depressed now doesnt mean you will after bubz is here and try not to worry about that otherwise it will just make you feel worse... also as u no hormones are flying all over the place making you feel up and down have some hugs :) :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hiya :hug: :hug: :hug: it is normal to feel a bit down at times - pregnancy is an overwhelming experience no matter how it comes about - there is also definately such a thing as prenatal depression which may be more than the normal highs and lows of pregnancy - you should have a chat with your Gp, he/she will be able to offer you advice and reassurence and then if you do feel anyway low after your baby is born - you will get some help and support. Hope you feel better soon - a few people have posted on here feeling the same - so you are definately not alone

pre-natal depression does exist though it's only been recognised in the last few years. I think it can lead to post-natal depression if not treated.

I would have a chat with your midwife and tell her how you feel :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks it is good to know i'm not alone. I may try finishing the tub of icecream in the freezer and ordering a pizza to see if that makes me feel better :) I know it's not nutrionally that good for me but it may help :? :)

My hubby has threatened to call the dr and tell him if I don't. I feel stupid mentioning it as like I say I've never been the depressive type before and not used to "talking about emotions".

i dont know if you have allready but maybe you could join and mum 2 be and mummies group... it would give you something to look forward to everyweek and theres lots of support... i went to one last week it was great got to meet some new people and there was free food lol
hope the pizza makes ya feel beter :) :hug:

Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
i dont know if you have allready but maybe you could join and mum 2 be and mummies group... it would give you something to look forward to everyweek and theres lots of support... i went to one last week it was great got to meet some new people and there was free food lol
hope the pizza makes ya feel beter :) :hug:

I think it is important to get support like you say. A lovely friend of mine who has a baby just called and we ended up chatting about it and she reminded me of all the lovelt reasons for being pregnant. She has also told me she is going to throw me a baby shower next wkend to cheer me up...it did make me smile. I think probably sometimes a good distraction is what helps.

ooo she sounds like a great friend :D
a baby shower wow how fun... hope that cheers u up a bit :D
and yep shes right great things come from being pregnant a lil bubba at the end of it :cheer: :cheer:

Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
ooo she sounds like a great friend :D
a baby shower wow how fun... hope that cheers u up a bit :D
and yep shes right great things come from being pregnant a lil bubba at the end of it :cheer: :cheer:

I am lucky to have lovely friends. I just spoke to another close friend who's a Dr and she is on call all the time and has instructed me to call her whenever I feel low at any time of day. She's reassured me i'm not a nutter :rotfl: I'm excited about the shower now and the possibility of baby pressies :D

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago too, i think we must all get it from time to time. I just cant get excited at all. We tried for this baby for 5yrs and now that im pregnant im thinking gosh have we done the right thing :cry:

:hug: :hug: :hug: hugs to all that need :hug: :hug:

Nicola g said:
I posted about this a couple of weeks ago too, i think we must all get it from time to time. I just cant get excited at all. We tried for this baby for 5yrs and now that im pregnant im thinking gosh have we done the right thing :cry:

:hug: :hug: :hug: hugs to all that need :hug: :hug:

It's odd isn't it when at one point all you want is to get pregnant, then it happens and then the doubt kicks in. I know in my heart, as you probably do too, that I absolutely do want a baby, but it's just the hormones and mixed emotions that seem to confuse things. It also doesn't help when your body is changing beyond recognition too. I think when we're finally holding iur little bundles we'll feel a lot better :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back