Pregnancy after 1st miscarriage

susan_1981

Reaction score
I'm just looking for inspiration at the moment and some kind of hope. When I was 17 (10 years ago), I got pregnant. I was too young and completey not ready for a baby, but I carried a healthy baby until just over 12 weeks when I had a termination. The reason I had it done so late was because I was in complete denial about the whole thing. Even though I'd missed a few periods, I'd put it down to the stress of doing my exams but deep down I knew I was pregnant but didn't accept this until I was about 11/12 weeks.

Anyway, 10 years on, I have just had to have another termination, not through choice this time. I have been married for just over a year and a half and have been with my husband, in total, for 8 years. We started trying for a baby back in August this year. Found out I was pregnant in October so it didn't take long but then I had a missed miscarriage at 7 weeks 2 days. Found out at my 12 week scan with no symptoms of a miscarriage at all. We were both absolutely devastated.

Anyway, I just want to hear from anyone who has gone on to get pregnant straight after their first miscarriage and had a healthy baby 9 months later. I'd especially like to know how long it took you to conceive again. I'm hoping it won't take me long as it didn't the first and second time around (obviously the first was just a one off accident). We are going to start trying again as soon as my bleeding has completely stopped, which I think will be soon (had my ERPC on Monday).

i'm sorry for your loss :( :hug:

i know a few members on here who have conceived again straight after a miscarriage. good luck :hug:

Hi i have had 2 missed miscarriges this year and am now 25 weeks pregnant. My first missed miscarriage was in feb and i had manual vaccum aspiration to remove baby...i fell pregnant after my first period, my second missed miscarriage was in june and i had medical management to remove...i didnt get a proper period and fell pregnant again with my current pregnancy. You are supposed to be more fertile after a miscarriage and this certainly seemed to be the case for me.
I hope it doesnt take too long for you and if you have any questions i can answer just ask :hug: :hug:

Hi

sorry to hear about your loss.

I had my miscarriage in the December and fell pregnant the following August. we werent doing any of the temp charts, ovulation stuff etc, jus seeing what would happen.

good luck with everything

hiya i had a missed miscariage at 12 weeks (baby passed at 8 weeks 4 days) and i had a d and c after which is simalar to a erpc just a different name lol anyway it took me 6 weeks for my af to come after the d and c and then i fell pregnant that cycle, i am currently 22 weeks pregnant with a lil boy :D i hope this brings you hope :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: sorry for your loss hun

hii
i had a missed miscarriage at 16 weeks (baby died at 11 weeks ) to to a early scan at 10 weeks i did not realised baby had passed i had the d&c on the 1st may 2008 i stopped bleeding on the 13th....had normal periods and then concieved 15th august ...soo roughly about 12/13 weeks after ...and im 20 weeks pregnant now :D
and everythings going ok ..so there is hope out there u just have to be patient which i no is very hard.
:hug: :hug: take care hun!!! x

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

People are generally more fertile right after a miscarriage as the cervix remains open to help evacuate all the pregnancy tissue. I don't know if this applies to D&Cs as well or not but that's what I was told.

I caught straight after my first but sadly lost that one as well. A lot of people do catch straight away and go on to have healthy pregnancies, I think I was just unlucky twice.

Thinking of you and fingers crossed for you!

I really hope that I don't have to go through another miscarriage but I can't wait to start trying again. I think the bleeding from my ERPC is coming to an end and we hope to start trying again either this week or next. The problem is that the NHS won't do any tests on you until you've had 3 or more miscarriages. I suppose 2 miscarriages is also quite normal, unfortunately.

I'm going to try and not obsess over getting pregnant again but I know I probably will. The thing that I'm trying to find comfort in is that I carried a child until about 12 weeks before I had a termination. That baby seemed perfectly healthy. That also makes me sad to think I terminated a healthy pregnancy and the one I wanted so much didn't survive.

Oh well, here's hoping 2009 will bring me better luck. I really don't want to have to go through this again but, if it does, then I know me and my husband can get through it again.

You're right, to have had 2 miscarriages is also pretty common and not in itself worth investigating - chances are that they were from entirely different causes and would not happen again. The exception is in the case of late miscarriages (2nd trimester) which are rare enough that often the first will be investigated, especially if no signs were picked up at the scan.

However, as I understand it you haven't had two miscarriages - just one and a planned abortion? Obviously the NHS wouldn't investigate the abortion, since the cause is known, so tests wouldn't be done unless you had another two miscarriages.

I really wouldn't be concerned about one miscarriage, especially if you carried a healthy pregnancy to 12weeks. Obviously it's upsetting but 1 in 4 clinically-recognised pregnancies ends in miscarriage, which means statistically that approximately 50% of women with 2 live children will have had a miscarriage (ok, the stats are affected by other factors too, but it's still a high proportion).

As for trying again, we lost a pregnancy in September. I had a D&C at 12w, which left retained products, so had another D&C at 14w, which also left retained products, and at 16w I finally miscarried the sac naturally. That was 3 October. I had bleeding until about the 8th, the pregnancy tests finally went negative about the 13th, and on 29 October I got a new BFP.

Obviously I've not carried this pregnancy to term, but all seemed well at the 12w scan so anything that happened now would be entirely unrelated.

I'd already had a chemical pregnancy (Nov 2007) but that's not counted for NHS miscarriage purposes as it never implanted properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back