• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prefering one side when B Feeding...Help!

bex

Reaction score
Finn has always prefered feeding on my left hand side but for the last few days is really playing up when I try to feed him on my right hand side, its now got to the point that he has a couple of sucks and then a full blown tantrum when I put him on my right. There is milk coming out fine, I really don't want to express always on that side... any advice on how I can get him to feed again from there. I've never had any problems feeding him until now. Help!

Have you tried feeding in a different position? e.g lying down? I am wondering if it is due to physical discomfort?

Yes he's a bit better then but not always poss to feed like that, I just can't work out why he suddenly won't feed this side, beginning to get uncomfortable for me now. Guess I'll hsve to start expressing if it goes on. :(

If he is better lying down could it be due to the flow being too forceful? I have been having similar issues, though in my case I was having trouble feeding upright because the flow is more forceful. We seem to have worked through that now. Try expressing a bit of and then latching him on, if he latches on fine then it could be that?

:D As you've said before - it must be the name!!!
My Finn used to prefer one side to the other!!
I too changed my hold to the rugby ball hold,so he was basically in the same position for feeding from both sides.It worked too!! :D

Lara is exactly the same.. at around 12 weeks she started to reject my right side which caused awful engorgement and she would be inconsolable unless we gave her bottle as other breast usually empty!

This week she is now favouring the right one over the left one and now I have an engorged left breast but am trying to express it a bit..

they can be fussy little tinkers!!

A friend told me that as our milk goes through various changes our babies will sense it and reject the breast or breasts occasionally but it is natural and we should not take it personally!!!!!!!

x

Thanks for your replies guys, atleast I now know that there is nothing wrong with my right side... I will try the rugby hold and see if that works next time. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that he starts to like it again!

OMG... just fed him in thr rugby ball position and it worked, he happily fed on my right hans side. :dance: Thanks for that Bagpuss.

bex said:
Finn has always prefered feeding on my left hand side but for the last few days is really playing up when I try to feed him on my right hand side, its now got to the point that he has a couple of sucks and then a full blown tantrum when I put him on my right. There is milk coming out fine, I really don't want to express always on that side... any advice on how I can get him to feed again from there. I've never had any problems feeding him until now. Help!

:rotfl: bless him. sometimes they find one breast easier to get milk from than the other. or it could be that he doesn't like laying on a certain side.
Try a different hold or laying down to feed. Persist in feeding from the laset prefered breast and try offering it first. He will soon snap out of it om sure.
I had one like this and i found offering the least prefered breast first as if i didn't i just became engorged coz she hardly took any milk. :think:

Little devils

Hi Bex

I learnt the other day that some people only feed their baby from one boob because of their baby's preference for a certain side.

You might've already checked this but does your little one have an ear infection or anything that might make him suddenly dislike lying on his right side? I know exactly where you are coming from though because to begin with Olivia preferred my right side but since around 3 months she has preferred my left! If there's lots going on I can never get her to latch on my right yet if I switch her to the left she does? Strange!!

Lucy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back