Pre-Term Scan

MissyRee

Reaction score
Hi girls, i got a letter with a date for a Pre-Term Scan for next month i was just wondering if anyone else has had one or will be having one? I asked my 31week pregnant friend about it and she said she hasnt had one, although in the letter it says they are offered to all women having a baby at the hospital. Just wondered if it hurts as it says its internal and how long it takes? Thanks x

I dont know anything about why you'd be having the scan as its not something done here, however i have had hte displeasure of an internal scan before.

Assuming its the same thing (just a long white stick they shove in you) then it doesnt hurt, its just uncomfortable. When i had mine they told me as i was over a certain age i HAD to be alone, and when i said i was a little nervous they said are you sexually active? yeah, well whats the problem then!! They also wearnt very gentle with me, though they may be better with you as you are pregnant.

I know they cna use internals early on in pregnancy as it gives a clearer picture and you can see little beans clearer so i can only asume it does the same now.

Good luck, hope you manage to shed some light on why you're having the scan

Thanks abcd i hope they are abit more gentle with me then lol, it says in the leaflet with my letter it is something about measuring my cervix to see if its under a certain length as if it is it could mean id be more likely to give birth early? :think: I dont know why ive been booked for one but my friend hasnt, i got a sheet at my first MidWife appointment with all routine scan dates and MidWife appointments and it says on it The Pre-Term Scan 21-23weeks so it must be routine around here x

I've never heard of a pre-term scan.

It may just be something that your hospital are doing to collect data.

I've never heard of that either :?

Hope it's not too uncomfortable for you.

I've not heard of it either, but I have had internal scans. Mine didn't hurt and weren't even uncomfortable. Just don't make yourself feel embarrassed, they do it all the time :)

Thanks for the replies girls, sounds like its not very common everywhere i have it on Friday 13th :| of june so im hoping it wont b too horrible lol x

I too have never heard of it, I would also question your MW as to it's importance, as if it is just for the hospital to get data, you should know, and you can opt out of any scans/tests you don't wish to have. Obviously if you want it, fine, but just be aware you can refuse if you don't want it, internal scans are not done routinely, there's not a general need for them with other available alternatives. I did find a link, don't know if its relevant to your case, but I had to have a look online as like I said, I've not heard of the preterm scan before :hug: :hug: :hug:

http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/ref/ ... engthscan/

Thanks RedShoes ive had a read of the link you found, it seems weird ive been sent a scan appointment then as ive never been pregnant before or had any problems down there. I have a MidWife appointment thursday so i think i might ask her about it as its not sounding like most people have it done?! Thanks for your help and hugs :D :hug: xx

Ree, the hospital offered me one too but I declined it.

It's internal which I wasn't happy about- I felt it was too intrusive and sometimes internal scans can cause your waters to break prematurely. It determines your risk of Pre-Eclampsia or premature delivery

Talk to the midwife about it- she'll tell you what's best :wink:

:lol:

Jade&Evie said:
Ree, the hospital offered me one too but I declined it.

It's internal which I wasn't happy about- I felt it was too intrusive and sometimes internal scans can cause your waters to break prematurely. It determines your risk of Pre-Eclampsia or premature delivery

Talk to the midwife about it- she'll tell you what's best :wink:

:lol:

Oo thanks Jade, was hoping someone else might have been offered one, seems were the only ones! Maybe its just offered in our area for some reason? Aww i just noticed your names changed to Jade&Evie and you've got a new super cute pic as your avatar :D xx

I'd never heard of it either. Excuse my ignorance but would you still get to see your LO on a screen? Or are they just checking other stuff? The possibility of breaking my waters would worry me somewhat :?

Just thought id say i had the Pre-Term scan today and it was fine, took about 5mins, they measured my cervix and the blood flow to LO, everything was fine they said i have a very low risk of Pre-Eclampsia or giving birth early and that LO is doing well. It didnt hurt, plus i got to see LO on the screen for a min didnt see much just his head because he was facing other way but i saw his little ear!! Was so cute, unfortunately my OH missed it as he was still parking the car by the time i went in, but im happy i had it done :D x

I've never heard of the pre-term scan, but I hope it goes well. Don't worry about the internal scan, I had to have one of those early on in my pregnancy and it doesn't hurt.

I have never heard of it either! Im glad it went well and yay at being a low risk if pre-eclampsia! :cheer:

lea m said:
I have never heard of it either! Im glad it went well and yay at being a low risk if pre-eclampsia! :cheer:

Thanks! :hug: Id not heard of it before either but if anyone should get offered it, it seems worth doing the nurse said theres no risks involved to baby etc as its just the same as having an internal scan, i must admit it did make me cringe and want to laugh though when the doctor put a johnny & lubrication on the probe :) !! x

Hee hee you should have said, "oh its ok its not like I can get pregnant" haha :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back