Pre-authorisation of credit card - advice please!!

x-kirsty-x

Reaction score
We stayed at a hotel on Saturday night and when we checked in they used my card for some sort of pre-authorisation thing - basically I put my pin in for an amount of £200 but they said it goes straight back into my bank afterwards, it's just to authorise the card.

When I went to pay yesterday morning my card wouldn't go through so I had to go to the cash point and I saw that £200 (which was to pay for the room) had gone so we had to use the last of OH's money out of his bank to settle the bill.

I asked them what was going on and they said the £200 had been taken as authorisation but not put back in cos the systems had gone down, but it would be back in my bank this morning. It isn't though :?

I've just rang them and they said they'll look into it - in the meantime they have £200 of my money and they don't seem to give a shit!

Does anyone know how these pre-authorisation things work? Should I complain or is it just a genuine mistake? :?

I can only tell you how it works in shops from what i know.

You know sometimes if you've usedyour card lots or not usedit for ages, or spending loads they ring up for authorisation? Well when they do that the money is taken from your account, like they said it is "held" if then the transaction doesnt go through for whatever reason the money should go back in to your account.
However... When i first started in my job a lady came in where the money had not been put back in, her card had been through authorisation but she had paid in cash in the end, she had the same problem as you, where her card was now being declined even though she had the money.

Have you got anything that says why the money was taken, like a reciept or something? and have you tried ringing your bank? They should be able to tell you if the money is ready to be put back in.

I'd keep pestering them, im pretty sure it is their responsibilty if your money doesnt go back in as the payment on your bank statement will be to them. This is why we tell customers to keep void slips from our registers in case the system does mess up and they end up being charged more then once.

Hope its sorted soon

as far as i know, hotels use pre auth incase you use the mini bar etc and don't pay, but i don't think it should be taken out of your account, i thought it was just put in a 'reserve' account as such, and should have been released when you paid.

defo contact your bank and ask them.

when we stayed in a hotel the other week they used my card for pre authorisation but no money was taken of then refunded. In the past Ive had it used before and again no money removed - They have always told me thats its basically so you cant leave without paying or if you have used the mini bar / got room service etc, so if you just sneak out they would take the money from that card, but when I have checked out that have said ''would you like to pay using your authourised card or by another means'' type things and ive either said yesh take it off that or ill pay by ****

I would complain ask to speak to the manager, dont even get in to a discussion with the staff - if no joy/compo like free rooms offered and its a national chain write to the MD - make up a sob story about how you have no money because of this blunder etc

jennywren said:
when we stayed in a hotel the other week they used my card for pre authorisation but no money was taken of then refunded. In the past Ive had it used before and again no money removed - They have always told me thats its basically so you cant leave without paying or if you have used the mini bar / got room service etc, so if you just sneak out they would take the money from that card, but when I have checked out that have said ''would you like to pay using your authourised card or by another means'' type things and ive either said yesh take it off that or ill pay by ****

Well that's how I thought it worked - I didn't think the money actually came out, but it has and I still haven't got it back!!

They said it would be in this morning but it wasn't so I rang, then they said give it a few hours... how patient can I be when the money wasn't even supposed to be taken out of my account in the first place?! :?

I wouldnt be patient Id be kicking off. It is a very basic form of theft - they are collecting interest on that money for one, for 2 they have charged you twice for one service! You need the cash back and compo

The hotel is blaming the bank and the bank is blaming the hotel :wall:

I just want my fooking money :roll: :lol:

Its ridiculous.. ring them up again and just tell them to take the £200 out of their own account in the meantime because you "need" that money and if you don't get it, you'll incur charges which they'll have to pay for. You might get a voucher or free wine for the inconvenience lol

Def speak to the manager only.

I'd take it that the bank is right rather then the hotel tbh.

I would definately complain to the hotel, even when the money is returned, I would write a formal complaint.

Afterall, they have admitted that it was THEIR systems that went down, not the banks, therefore it is their error.

At the same time, do still keep on top of the bank. It might be a pain in the butt, but I think you will need to keep on and on until you get a response.

Did you get a receipt for the cash you paid?

We were late checking out cos I had to drive into the nearest town to find a cash point so when I paid cash and she asked if I wanted a receipt, I was in a rush and I said no :wall:

I've been on the phone to them again tonight and they've said it'll be in my bank tomorrow morning. Where have I heard that before :roll: They said it happens sometimes but most people don't notice it's missing out of their bank as it's only gone a few days... well I do, every penny counts in my world!! :lol:

I'm going to write a letter, I just dunno how to word it. Well, I know what to write about the complaint but do I ask for something for the inconvenience or do I just complain and wait for them to offer me something?? :?

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

I would just write my concerns politely and precisely and wait to hear what they say.

For the past 3 years I have been touring England top to bottom (work) and their policies on cards always vary.

I would find it very patronising if they said to me 'most people don't notice' I certainly bloomin would! £200 is a large sum for anyone, and the point is that it's more days than it was meant to be.

I'm sure they would have kicked up a stink with you if you weren't able to get the cash from the machine!! x

This happened to me a few years ago at a hotel in France.

I ended up phoning my bank because after a certain time period ( I can't remember how long exactly) the bank can cancel the transaction and refund the money back to your account

Is it back yet?

I dont see how its the banks fault - the hotel processed the transaction when they shuoldnt have done, all they should have done its held the details. If they knew they had processed it they shouldnt have charged you again! I personally would have refused to pay again and come back from the bank with the statement showing it had been withdrawn and if that got refunded when it was I would pay the bill but then Im a gob shite pmsl

I would write a polite letter stating the circumstances, how much it has affected you money wise and how upset and dissapointed you are and see what happens from there.

Which hotel was it by the way?

It was a Holiday Inn, this one...

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925 ... tid=199226

Checked my bank online this morning and it's not gone back in but my balance is £200 more than my available balance if that makes sense, so I know it's there, I'm just waiting for it to show up as available.

I'm gonna write to the hotel but I have a feeling they'll just write back telling me it's one of those things and I just have to accept it :roll:

It's the hotel's job to phone up and cancel the pre-authorisation. I worked on a hotel reception for 2 years and did many pre-auths each day. Basically what happens is the money is held back (but not taken) and then put through a completion when you check out. If you decide to use another card or the pre-auth isn't completed (i.e. if the receptionist forgets to check if your card was authorised and puts it through as a new transaction rather than a completion) then the hotel needs to call the credit company to cancel it.

We had to do about 4 of these daily where we called up the company (not the bank) to cancel it. With most banks, on a working day, the funds should be released immediately. If the hotel has cancelled it then contact your bank. Phone them up and check this - it's possible they didn't realise the card was pre-authed and you paid cash on check out which would give you a right to complain because they should know that it means you can't use the funds and it will/should have been recorded your card was authorised.

God what a ramble, I hope that makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back