Postal orders?

little*red

Reaction score
does anyone know how postal orders work?
I dont have a clue could someone please clarify how they work?
thankies
:D

I haven't used one for years, but if I remember rightly. You go to the post office and pay X amount of money, they give you a piece of paper which is the postal order, then when recipient gets it, they go to the post office and exchange it for cash.
There's normally a small handling fee.

I hope this makes sense!

oh right thats fairly simple, just another question:
if i am the one cashing the postal order do i pay the handling fee or does the person paying pay the handling fee?

As far as i'm aware the person taking out the money order pays the fee for taking it out. Kind of like a bank draft or bankers cheque, when you go to the bank they charge you to make the cheque out to whomever you want, and then that person can cash it without having to pay anything on top as far as i remember.

That's the way it should be anyway!

maybe try looking on www.royalmail.co.uk They might have something on there to explain it and how they work! :D

you can pay them straight into your bank account too :D

The other person has to pay it.

If its uncrossed then you can take to any post office and exchange it there and then for cash but if it's crossed it has to be paid into a bank account.

I used to send quite a few postal orders, haven't for a while now i've got paypal.

thanks everyone for your replies, im all clear on them now :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back