• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Post Natal Depression?

annaespana1

Reaction score
My friend is a health vistor and we were talking about the birth of my little boy and how the events leading upto and after should have made me a prime candidate for PND. However luckly I don't suffer with it and having my little boy has helped me deal with the sh** life throws.
We were talking about how there could be a link with natural biths (no pain relief at all) and not getting PND. What do you guys think?
After the traumic birth I had I immediately thought..next time -pain relief give me the lot! But after these past few weeks I have felt (this is going to sound soo sad!) but empowered and able to deal with it all...better than I maybe would have done?

hmmm not sure about the link. I had no pain relief and the birth was fine but I did get quite down afterwards. Problem is I think it was because I got sick afterwards and that threw me out for ages. It would be interesting to know if I had had that type of birth and not been ill, whether or not it would have been the same.
Does that make sense?? Just read it through and thought :think:

I have PND and had a natural birth so dont think its linked really :hug:

Me three. I had a wonderful natural (no pain relief) home water birth and everything is going brilliantly (too good?) with my baby - breastfeeding, sleeps well, is contented and happy, no colic or illnesses etc and I have PND.

Valentine Xxx

Ok I didn't have a completely pain relief free birth, I has gas and air and a birthing pool which was exactly what I wanted. My birth went 100% perfectly.

I have PND but I think other factors come into play with me as I have a history of depression and bi-polar and was one of those "more likely" to get it.

i had an awful labour and birth to be honest.
she was back to back and i ended up having forceps which luckily worked just before they were about to give me a c-section.
i didnt have any pain relief until i had been 10cm for a while, just before the forceps..
i also lost 3 and a half pints of blood in theatre, and my placenta had to be manually removed, and i couldnt walk for 2 days.

it scares me sh**less when i think back to it... and its put me off having another ever again.
first week being home, i was in tears every day.. think it was with tiredness and because i was so emotional... but since then ive been absolutely fine and loving every second of being a mummy so i dont think theres any link there :think: :think: :think:

I had only gas and air on an induced labour.

The HV came out today and thinks i may have a mild case of PND caused mainly by anxiety problems.

Welll.... I had a section, as drugged up and unnatural as you can get, and haven't had a hint of PND.

I can see how a good birth will make you feel all empowered etc, but at the end of the day, if you are going to get it you are going to get it... I suppose.

I'd heard previously that you are a higher candidate for PND if.....

1. You have a caesarian
2. You can't/don't breastfeed.

Not sure if there is truth in either of those?

I had a natural birth. I attempted the gas and air but after 2 contractions gave it up so as good as no pain relief. I'm just very emotional. I always have been on the slightly over-sensitive side so i don't have PND. And i couldn't have asked for a quicker labour and it went extremely smooth.

I had a natural birth and as of today am diagnosed with PND. I scored 18 on the Edinburgh test.

I have ongoing health problems linked with my labour and tbh its probably compunded and made things a whole lot worse for me. If I didn't have these problems I'd probably not be feeling as crap as I do. Certainly I'd not have all the issues I seem to have atm.

DebbieM said:
I'd heard previously that you are a higher candidate for PND if.....

1. You have a caesarian
2. You can't/don't breastfeed.

Not sure if there is truth in either of those?

Well, I gave up breastfeeding quite early on and in my opinion that definately added to my PND, because of the guilt and regret I feel over it. Aswell as being down in pregnancy I had a long and painful labour ending in forceps and I think that also didn't help. But there is a history of depression on both sides of my family so I'm not surprised I'm suffering with it aswell.

I had my two children with no pain releif at all and i have had OND with both of them, but i am much worse this time. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back