positive hospital-birth stories? especially vbac

Jamie

Reaction score
I am unable to have a home birth due to lots of problems I had in my first pregnancy, which ended in a (true) emergency c-section due to severe fetal bradycardia while they were trying to induce her at 35 weeks. Luckily I had a drip in already so they put me to sleep, and my partner says it was literally minutes before she was out and crying, as he could hear from the corridor. It was really scary and traumatic, and it doesn't help I have anxiety disorder!
I want to give birth 'normally' this time, which I'm told I can as long as my blood pressure doesn't rise and that I go into labour by myself. I've read lots of things lately, not just on this forum, about people recommending home births because they are more relaxing, etc, mostly from people who had traumatic hospital births the first time round! As someone who has no choice in the matter, it's making me all the more anxious :(
Does anyone have any positive hospital-birth stories to share, especially successful vbac ones!! :D

My first pregnancy was a twin one in the midlands where I didn't receive very good care and everything that could went wrong with my elective c section!

This time around, the plan was to try a vbac. Apparently,i was told that a home birth and water birth were no no's but down here in Oxford the vbac success rate is 70-80% which is very high and my consultant team were very pro VBAC!

Up until 37 weeks,this was our plan until Sam decided to keep moving to transverse where I dissapointingly had to make te decision for both of our safety to take another section due to the fear of cord prolapse.

I was so scared after my last experience but after talking it through with the consultant anaesthetist and my consultant the c section was a very different and highly positive experience! So much so that I wouldn't be put off doing it again!

My hospital experience was very good and very positive and I wish you luck whichever way you decide is best for you :hug:

you could still opt for a homebirth it is YOUR choice. have you looked at www.homebirth.org its a brilliant reference and has loads on VBACs at home.
although i havent had a vbac i did transfer in from my homebirth to hospital and it was fine. a birth is what you make it, just remember that its the birth of your baby that is the most brilliant thing in the world, dont get bogged down with what should have could have and turn it into a negative experience.

I had a pretty traumatic labour 2nd time round where i was left puhing for over 3 hours before my useless MW went to get some help, I was dreading labour with my 3rd but it was really good. Had a really nice experiance.

I had a good birth experience. I was induced and had a VB. The midwife who delivered Jake was lovely and so were most of the staff on the ward afterwards.

Hiya

I have to say even though there were things that went wrong with both of births my experience's of giving birth in a hospital were really good, everything was on hand if you needed it and the MW's were really nice i was induced with Willow and then Conal was a surprise and i would definatly do it again there i did contimplate the idea of having a home birth but thin kof all the mess you won't have to clear up now your having it at hospital.

When you go to the labour ward you should be able to do what you want anyway we were asked if we wanted to bring anything to make it more relaxing

I've never needed a Csection so can't tell you what its like to give birth naturally afterwards sorry although they were thinking about it with Conal and it terrified me not he actual operation just having a pee pipe(can't spell cathater) :lol:

Heather

Gemma & Jake said:
[quote="nic & keeley":nh1c7d1b]I'm probably being silly but what is VBAC? :think:

Vaginal birth after c section I think. It took me a while to work it out.[/quote:nh1c7d1b]

Ohhh i was tryin to work it out i would never of got it right :oops: :oops:

I've had 2 nice hospital births.

I would recommend looking at all the hospitals that are quite close to you and asking local moms about their births,you can make a choice and you still have some control over the situation.

Where in the Midlands are you? My friend works as a delivery Midwife at the Women's hospital in Birmingham and that is very into "natural birthing"

Thank you everyone! I'm in Northampton in the Midlands, so it will be Northampton General.

Heather, I was terrified to wake after my csection to find a catheter in place too! Everything had happened so fast, nobody explained to me what would happen during the procedure. To find a catheter, and about ten different lines going into a drip plus an oxygen mask they made me wear for 24 hours afterwards, it was just horrible :( I was on morphine for 2 days which left me basically sleeping and feeling really strange when I did wake, so I didn't even get to see my baby till day 3!

I guess I just need to make it more relaxing, learn lots of relaxation techniques and breathing so I don't get into panicking again! :)

I had a positive hospital birth with a really nice MW who made me feel very safe as she was older, had kids and was very jolly hockey sticks if you know what I mean. My Mum was with me too and she was very calming and I think that was key really- not panicing but having calm people you trust there for you. Elliott's heart rate kept dropping towards the end so they had me on a monitor and they said that they might have to call a Dr but I trusted my Mum and her to watch the monitor and sort it out (I was off my face on gas and air too- that helped!). My mum whispered "really push" to me towards the end and I remember thinking that she knew stuff I didn't and so I should do exactly what she said- afterwards she said that she could see that my MW was getting worried and I was very tired and wasn't pushing as hard so she was right and she knew I would trust her extra whisper! She also kept an eye on the emergency button and was poised to hit it if my MW didn't bless her! So if you can take a protective, calm person with you who knows you well and that you totally trust would be my advice! (My OH is totally squeamish and panics at the slightest thing- he came in after it was done and I was very happy with that situation as he would have worried me!)

My MW team were very into natural birth techniques like keeping active during labour and that helped too I think- I had an 18 hour labour and was on my feet for about 16 of them. We had a physio come to talk to us before labour and she got us to practice positions to labour in- she'd count to 3 and we'd have to find something in the room to lean on or bend over- I got the giggles but I think it gave me the confidence to go with what I felt my body wanted. Maybe there are classes on Natural Childbirth near you that might help you calm some of your fears and give you confidence? Might be worth looking to see what's about?

Good luck hun
+++

my hospital birth was positive.Although it went fast and i kept suprising the medical team , but the staff were great and it was as relaxed as it could be at the time. If i were going to have any more i wouldn't question having a hospital birth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back