pooing question - sorry!!

hellywelly

Reaction score
Some people on here have talked about their LOs being constipated and I wondered how you knew they were?

Evie (14 days) has gone from doing lots of poo each day to yesterday just one poo nappy and today nothing. The one she did yesterday was a mega poo (up the back jobby!) and was relatively runny not hard, although she was really grouchy for about half an hour before she did it.

I am feeding expressed breast milk and formula. Up until a few days ago it was 90% EBM and 10% formula, but over the past couple of days I've found I can't express enough to keep up with her demands so it's now more like 50/50. Could this cause the change in poo pattern?

How would I know if she is constipated? The ones she does are still quite wet and she doesn't seem to be straining or overly grouchy for hours at a time? Should I be giving her some water as well to help counteract this? And if giving water is it just cooled boiled water? How long should I let her go without a poo??!! Sorry for all the questions but these bloody babies don't seem to come with a manual!! (If someone does have one pleased post me a photocopy!!)

I wouldn't give her any yet. Only cos she sounds like she is doing fine when Alyssia was a newborn she went a day or so without a poo and asked hv who said was normal as long as not going longer than 4 days. Apparently formula (dont know about breast milk cos I ff) has all the water in so they shouldn't need it and can interfere with their feed. Unless its a hot day I wouldnt give your lo water just yet personally. If you think they are starting to get blocked up then yes just give her a bit of cooled boiled water xx

Joe is having more ff than bf now and his pooing has changed, he seemed more uncomfortable its less frequent and when he goes there is loads! I'm guessing it is just tummy adjusting to formula

This sounds disgusting to excuse me lol.

Harlow was mega constipated when I changed her formula two weeks ago..

She was having tiny pebble poos in her nappy that where solid! She spent 3 days straining and throughout those 3 days, she had little pebbles keep appearing in her nappy.

It didn't bother her to much, she just was a tad unsettled during the day.

X

Well, day 5 and still no poo!! But have had a bit of straining grouchiness so fingers crossed it happens soon... Bless her, it makes me feel uncomfortable just thinking about it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back