polyhydramnios - excess amniotic fluid

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello :wave:
I had a growth scan yesterday, all was great, baby was of average size. The one thing they mentioned though is that my amniotic fluid levels were at the top end of normal and they quoted 'polyhydramnios' on my notes.
The doctor wasn't at all worried and said that it is usually a sign of diabetes - but I have been tested for that and I am all clear.

I just googled polyhydramnios and have got myself all worried - I have found articles saying it can be linked to chromosonal abnormalities in the child, placental abruption and early labour.

I wondered if anyone else has had excess amniotic fluid in their pregnancy? What happened and was your baby ok?

I would appreciate any information that you can give me :hug:

Hey

I can't help you with info I am afraid, but my midwife thinks I might have this too, I have got to go for a scan tmrw so they can measure the amount of fluid. I have seen 2 diff midwives about it and they both played it down and didn't talk about what it would mean - like you I then went home and googled it and scared myself!

I am sure there is someone on here who has had this for a while so hopefully they will be able to tell us some more.

i really do not want to scare you and thought twice about even posting but i had this and i went into premature labour at 25 weeks, 2 weeks before i was due to have a gestational diabetes test.

nobody can tell me exactly why i gave birth so early but i was very big for my gestation and had excessive thirst and sugar cravings. they are all symptoms of gestational diabetes - however if it is diagnosed it can be treated and wont cause problems.

a surgeon who operated on Ami when she was in NICU did say that my early labour could have been due to a bowel problem she had (that has hopefully been resolved now) so it could all be connected or just be a coincidence.

i will never know but i would recommend you speak to your midwife or doctor about any worries you have. if you feel anything strange, obviously get in touch with your midwife asap.

:hug:

don't panic hun, i had this when i was pregnant with Louie who is now 17 mth.
i was always measuring a lot larger that my weeks, so at 36 wks i was given a growth scan like you, they said the same thing, i was at the top end of level of fluid, i had to have another scan at 38 wks & i had gone down slightly although still high.
the other thing the consultant told me was that if the waters go you have to get to hospital IMMEDIATLEY as due to high volume of fluid there is a (rare) chance of cord prolapse.

i had teast for gestational diabetes which were clear,
i read up on the high level of fluid too & was petrified, i have birth to Louie on his due date!! & boy did i have a lot of water, it just kept coming & coming :lol:

Louie was a perfect 8 lb 6 oz & is perfect in every way.
good luck babe & just think they will keep a special eye on you & bubs.
are you going to be re-scanned? :hug:

Thanks for your replies :hug:
Grace - don't worry about scaring me, it sounds like you had a really tough time. Luckily I am not really too big for dates, only a few days, so I am not too worried yet.
Foxy - than you for your story too, I am glad little Louie is healthy and happy, that has put my mind at ease somewhat. I have another scan in 4 weeks....I am keeping my fingers crossed that the fluid level will have dropped a bit.

hello hun

found your post about it now! We need to make a club, watery mummies & babies :rotfl:

I have to wait for my growth scan now...not sure how long it will be but hopefully not too long!!

xx

Tillytots said:
hello hun

found your post about it now! We need to make a club, watery mummies & babies :rotfl:

I have to wait for my growth scan now...not sure how long it will be but hopefully not too long!!

xx

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the fluid evens out a little for you. I've been thinking a slightly early baby would be quite a good thing, as long as it isn't too early and in any danger. Where does all this fluid come from? It is no wonder my mouth is always dry and I am thirsty!

Yes I had it - fundal height of 40cm at just over 30 weeks - no idea of the index or whatever they tell you now - god I sound like my nan :rotfl:

I did have threatened and early labour from that date and delivered at 32 weeks. However as they were aware of it - I had steroid injections to prepare his lungs. So no problems at that point other than a little difficulty breastfeeding. V healthy little 4lb 14oz baby :shock: Imagine carrying him to full term :shock:

He was born with talipes (club feet) which they reckon was partially genetic and then made worse by being squashed by the excess fluid.

The only things I'll say is my bump was huuuuge, which made it a little uncomfortable. And that when your waters go - it'll be none of this slow trickle have they or haven't they - you'll know they've gone :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back